• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

A "new look" for The One Ring a.k.a. The Lord of the Rings™ RPG

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
Interesting. That is more changes than I expected.
Another reason to hold off preordering for now. Though the changes look considerable, they do seem to be designed to operate behind the numbers on the page, which may mean that the new books can be used with the previous edition with little effort. Time will tell though. I intend to pick up the first 2e supplement to test the waters.

Damian May

Apex Predator
Validated User
I'm not super enamored with those changes and I prefer the Wilderland setting......I might wait on this til I hear something compelling.

Arkat

Skål Kosmonauter
Validated User
Mmm, the original blurb from Cubicle 7 said:

"This edition also features a set of updated and streamlined rules ... Those who have been with us since the beginning will be happy to learn that all previously released material for The One Ring will be usable with the second edition, with only minor adjustments."
Yeah, and that led me to believe that this new edition would contain at most a handful of tweaks to some of the sub systems like travel and encounters. This seems a lot more fundamental.

Arkat

Skål Kosmonauter
Validated User
I'm not super enamored with those changes and I prefer the Wilderland setting......I might wait on this til I hear something compelling.
I'm intrigued by the changes. The way they use attributes in skill tests seems like a easy way to make them matter in ordinary tests, and not just when you spend hope. It is simple, it is precalculated and it makes attributes matter.

Both Travel and Encounters needed some refinement, but I'm on the fence about the solutions outlined. After having played a couple of years, I finally figured out what it would make Encounters work for me, and that was to only use them when they players really wanted something from the encounter. They don't work at all as a generic social interactions mechanic. So I'd be good with just a clarification in the the text about how to use encounters. As for travel, I think one of the flaws have always been that there is too little emphasis on the roles. Only seldom do you roll Explore when you are a scout and that is just wrong. Not sure they have solved this with the new rules.

We'll se.

Gee4orce

Validated User
Well,I think that look stunning - both the physical book and the interior art. I'd like to see a full page design though - I wonder if they kept the wonderful header and footer designs.

But... £100 for an RPG. Whoah. I think that's a bit more than I can justify. But - man - would that look good on my bookshelf.

Edit: kind of ironic that a setting that's all about temptation and corruption has produced a product that's tempting and corrupting me. I can picture myself huddled in a corner stroking my collectors edition mumbling. "my....precious" :D:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

zedturtle

Maker
Validated User
I'm intrigued by the changes. The way they use attributes in skill tests seems like a easy way to make them matter in ordinary tests, and not just when you spend hope. It is simple, it is precalculated and it makes attributes matter.

Both Travel and Encounters needed some refinement, but I'm on the fence about the solutions outlined. After having played a couple of years, I finally figured out what it would make Encounters work for me, and that was to only use them when they players really wanted something from the encounter. They don't work at all as a generic social interactions mechanic. So I'd be good with just a clarification in the the text about how to use encounters. As for travel, I think one of the flaws have always been that there is too little emphasis on the roles. Only seldom do you roll Explore when you are a scout and that is just wrong. Not sure they have solved this with the new rules.

We'll se.
I think you’ll be happy with the new rules. We’ve already said that Councils are used in important social interactions; you just use regular skill rolls otherwise.

I’m sure we’ll have more details about the Journey system soon.

Arkat

Skål Kosmonauter
Validated User
I think you’ll be happy with the new rules. We’ve already said that Councils are used in important social interactions; you just use regular skill rolls otherwise.

I’m sure we’ll have more details about the Journey system soon.
Never been let down by TOR before, and I don't expect to be now either. :)

Can I ask you a simple yes/no question? Will the Wood Elves have the same cultural virtue? Because that would be extremely cool. Finally they'll be the creatures of dusk that they are supposed to be.

Top Bottom