• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

A Note on Wizkids Deep Cuts and Nolzurs...and the painting thereof

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The tension and viscosity are formulated so that it's effectively a dessert topping AND a floor wax er, a shade AND a glaze.
Hmm. Trying to visualize this. So it settles into nooks and crannies but still has enough body to leave a thin film on raised, flat surfaces?

Gentleman Highwayman

Validated User
Hmm. Trying to visualize this. So it settles into nooks and crannies but still has enough body to leave a thin film on raised, flat surfaces?
Rumour is it has two different pigments of different sizes/weights. Dark heavier pigment end up in the recesses/lower areas and other pigment covers all but the top most areas. So topmost areas have a glaze, midlevels have coverage and lower areas have a shade.

And you should always varnish your minis, unless they live in a display case and are never used...or you're looking for an excuse to repaint them.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Rumour is it has two different pigments of different sizes/weights. Dark heavier pigment end up in the recesses/lower areas and other pigment covers all but the top most areas. So topmost areas have a glaze, midlevels have coverage and lower areas have a shade.
Huh. Any pigment light / small enough to float up would also float over the heavier pigment in thicker bits in the recesses. So this would need to be a totally transparent pigment, or else the lighter would “overwrite” the heavier.

It sounds most likely to me to be a transparent paint with a carefully calibrated viscosity and probably a certain amount of sales hype.

Gentleman Highwayman

Validated User
It sounds most likely to me to be a transparent paint with a carefully calibrated viscosity and probably a certain amount of sales hype.
It's not hype, we've seen enough to know what it's good at and what it isn't out of the bottle. Pro painters are already experimenting with it for uses outside of Battle Ready painting.

I have a feeling Duncan's new tagline will be, "Two thick coats".

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's not hype, we've seen enough to know what it's good at and what it isn't out of the bottle. Pro painters are already experimenting with it for uses outside of Battle Ready painting.

I have a feeling Duncan's new tagline will be, "Two thick coats".
I did not mean to imply that the product itself was not good, just the way it’s being talked about is a little confusing to me and doesn’t quite seem to jibe with my experience with paints and paint mixing. I may be being unfair to Citadel.

candidgamera

Atomic Turtle
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yep. There are a lot of good painting videos that show it off, if you are of a curious mindset.

Deflare

Validated User
Somewhat relevant to this conversation is a video of someone testing Contrast paints on metallic paints, using them as tints. I really, really like the results, which is honestly a bit annoying. I don't need more paints, dangit.

Top Bottom