• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

A social system about relationships, duties, and more: Strings. Feedback needed!

Wharrgarble

Comunista para Cristo
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
First of, as a non-nativ english speaker, it was quite hard to understand. Maybe if you didn't use such pompous language, everything would be a bit clearer.
Also, I generally dislike having many a skills for social interactions. I find that it only takes one, Charisma for instance, to concey the idea that your character is good at talking.
Deceiving, persuading, lying, reasoning is all just talking. If you can lie, you can of course also smooth talk. If they wanna see if somebody lies? I would personally just tell them how he behaves, how he tries not to look you in the eyes, etc, but you can just let the players make a charisma roll. They wanna convince somebody of something? Charisma roll. They wanna win a clever argument without having a clue on the topic? Charisma roll.
Mate, it seems you have a bit of a problem with reading things correctly.

Thats what I wrote. And I give you some leniency there because its not very good english. But it was late and I was tired.
Gonna try again for you.

No, I don't think we have a fundamentally different opinion on social encounters. I just try to keep the gameplay based on light rules, why you try to cram more names and skills and unecessary words into it.
The interesting thing of a social encounter is not the rolling of a dice. It is the talking, right?
So if the actual base of the encounter does not lie on dice, why make it so that you have more rules related to dice?

And I use "strings" in my gameplay too. I hope almost everyone does. Again, they are called reasons. I really don't know why you would have to call them strings.
You just can't concince somebody to do something without a reason (string).

And of course you pic the only thing where an actual one-dice roll would be sufficient. Seducing somebody is not always just based on words, but on body too. So in that case at the beginning a roll for body might be okayish. Of course followed then by more words and reasons (strings) and dice rolls, if that alone isn't enough.
Mate, I tend to repeat myself, but you seem to have a serious issue with understanding/reading criticism.
But fine, you do you.
Keep improving your system. The base is good, tweak the structure and prose and your good to go.

Moderator Text:

The bits bolded are all bordering on personal attacks.
Also, while it's great that you enjoy lightweight systems, that's not very useful feedback, is it? It's a threadcrap of sorts.

Leave the thread. This is a warning.

Do not reply to this post, do not PM a moderator about it, and do not open a press conference thread in Trouble Tickets about it. Any appeals should go to the admin email.

Malidar

Validated User
I think you may benefit from talking a bit more about it being a web and perhaps calling it threads instead of strings?

Do you have to use a skill when making Tests of Influence or Tests of Insight?
Strings
Strings are social tools, or skill focuses. Use them
to bring a skill into a Test of Influence or Insight,

marking a usage notch (fray) on your sheet.
Seems to indicate that in order to use a skill you have to pull a string, but isn't declarative on it.
However, in structure of play it
A means. Gather dice from your
Personality or Wits. Add dice from a skill
by using a social tool, called…

Makes it clear that in order to use a social skill you have to pull a string.

Do I who just landed at Iveneverbeenhearbeforeville use Tests of Influence immediately on the Guard at the gate?

I guess which comes first strings or tests to get strings?

I think I see an issue about Frayed Strings and one shot encounters.

MoutonRustique

Validated User
The basics are very evocative - really cool.

The rules explanations are fairly hard to follow. But then again, I don't know the underlying system. My suggestion on this would be to explain it to a friend while recording it - throw that in speech recognition and then use that wording and structure. Perhaps explain it to a few people, and take the one where the person got it quickly. When writing explanations, we tend to forget that we can "just say it" - trust me on this, the amount of students who give me a perfectly acceptable answer orally seconds after they've been looking at a blank answer box for a quarter hour is staggering.

Take particular note of the points where people say : "so... when I'd want to X, I'd then Y and use Z ?" Depending on the comment, you either did a great job, or a terrible one. Also, if they get it right, their wording and/or structure is probably the best one.

As to the system itself, the only thing that bugs me is that "Frayed" feels like it should either be a result of either : failure or really pushing hard. Something that results from really putting "pressure" on the relationship/skill. Again, I don't know the system, but could using a String create a lesser "bonus" with the possibility of the player choosing to "Fray" the String to get a larger one?

Also, as has been brought up before, it seems like there are two(2) angles here : using a relationship(String) and building a relationship(String). It seem fairly strange that trying to become someones buddy would put a strain on that relationship... Unless, this system is actually "larger" than what is presented : you could Fray a String with entity A to get a better relation with entity B. But if this is the goal - a form of broad social system, this doesn't read like it. This reads more like it's meant for "one on one" situations.

SyrusHix

Validated User
Just finished reading it for a third time. I will admit that English is not my native language, but still I have a decent level in it. And sorry but its really really really difficult to understand. there is no clear structure in this system. its not clear on how to use it at all. you need to re-structure it correctly.

Also, some words could be to much complex to understand for non English natives. "marking a usage notch (fray) on your sheet." Usage notch? really? had to google it to understand what you mean. You could change it to "mark as used on the character sheet" - easier and much more understandable. There is probably more examples like this. but as said before, without a clear structure it is a pain to understand ( I'm not joking, literally a pain - my head is hurting )

I also don't like the social skills you have:
- Duty is to much situational, Authority - could be used for that.
- Would rename fellowship into empathy.
- Debating is not a social skill, its a conversation type. probably you could change it to persuasion?
- Whispering is also to situational. and a way to communicate. I would change it for a more broad social skill.
- Dealmaking - Negotiation, bartering?
Think also about adding some social skills like Taunting, Seduction, Evade (evade a topic someone is talking to the character), Confuse

And my final point is that there should be a middle ground between rolling a charisma dice ( system what you obviously don't like). And this oddly complex system. But i could be wrong on that, it could be only the way you structure your text which is odd. i would gladly read it ones again, if you manage to restructure all your text in a more digestible way.

Last edited:

darnest

PureImaginationNoLimits..
Validated User
So after reading the doc I came away with 3 thoughts. 1) I have come to find that separate social systems actually distract from the game, unless they are the system. Burning Wheel is a good example of this, it has so many subsystems you need a dedicated table to use them. 2) you have more than a social system here, its a game system. What if strings where everything? Your relationships and your skills. In combat you can use seduction to attack and have effects. You can use a string of combat taught to you by a mentor from Spain, who taught you the art of swordsman ship. 3) You use that string and succeed its intact and you gain a point towards strengthening it. Fail it frays and you have to do something in game to fix it.
It's the same system all the way through. The relationship frays you have to fix it through roleplay. Your belief in your training frays you have to fix it. Go see that mentor, find the society of dark swords to prove yourself... Its actually kind of amazing...

MoutonRustique

Validated User
So after reading the doc I came away with 3 thoughts. 1) I have come to find that separate social systems actually distract from the game, unless they are the system. Burning Wheel is a good example of this, it has so many subsystems you need a dedicated table to use them. 2) you have more than a social system here, its a game system. What if strings where everything? Your relationships and your skills. In combat you can use seduction to attack and have effects. You can use a string of combat taught to you by a mentor from Spain, who taught you the art of swordsman ship. 3) You use that string and succeed its intact and you gain a point towards strengthening it. Fail it frays and you have to do something in game to fix it.
It's the same system all the way through. The relationship frays you have to fix it through roleplay. Your belief in your training frays you have to fix it. Go see that mentor, find the society of dark swords to prove yourself... Its actually kind of amazing...
I have to agree with this. (bolded by me for emphasis)

Top Bottom