A thread of folks publishing TTRPGs on Itch.Io

The Unshaven

Validated User
So, DungeonCommandr wrote an interesting post lately summarising some discussions happening online about how potentially useful a space Itch.Io might be for selling TTRPG games. My understanding is that the founders of Itch had responded to the broader discussion (which DungeonCommandr was also responding to) by saying "We're interested in this: what kinds of things could we offer that would help people sell physical TTRPG games and PDFs?"

That sounds promising.

What can people recommend from folks who are on Itch so far?

Some folks I've spotted there already:

Brie Beau Sheldon's body of work, including the Script Change RPG Safety Toolbox, Behind the Masc, Let Me a Selfie, and others.

VSCA, the folks famous for Diaspora, who have newer work up there like King Machine, Hollowpoint and Callisto.

Tracy Barnett, producer of Iron Edda: War of Metal and Bone, School Daze and others.

What else have people spotted? Who else is moving there?

Itch.io is a very supportive platform within videogame spaces: they take one-third the cut of most other online platforms by default, and are comfortable with you setting it to Actually Nothing if you want. They provide DRM free installers where available for videogames, and as soon above are supportive of increasing the tools/support for both TTRPG developers and audiences.

I'm very curious to see how far and how fast this goes.

ShawnTomkin

Validated User
My free RPG, Ironsworn, is on there: https://shawn-tomkin.itch.io/ironsworn

Here's the click link to the physical games category to view various offerings: https://itch.io/physical-games. There's a fair amount of story games, OSR, PbtA, etc. Some notables include Maze Rats, Alas For the Awful Sea, Spire, Hot Spring Island, Mothership, Impulse Drive, and Good Society.

I really like the modern platform, mobile experience, and page editing tools. Needs better organization, discoverability and searching specific to tabletop games. Ideally, would be good if they were connected to a on-demand printer for actual physical copies.

Not enough eyeballs to make much of an impact for me on downloads (only 10 downloads versus about 600 in the same 20 day period period on DriveThruRPG), but I'd love to see them focus on improving the TTRPG side of things as I think it has really good potential. It's nice to see them noticing and reaching out to the community.

LatinaBunny

Suburban Angel
Validated User
Interesting.... I have visited Itch.io website for buying Visual Novels and Dating Sims, as well as browsing other genres of indie computer games, but I didn’t know tabletop rpgs were there as well! :)

Zadmar

Validated User
Ideally, would be good if they were connected to a on-demand printer for actual physical copies.
That's the biggest thing holding me back. What I've done in the past is offer print-ready PDFs with step-by-step instructions for printing them through Lulu, but it's so much nicer to offer a full product that people can order with a single click.

I think all things being equal it may be less popular in EU than DTRPG
It is certainly less popular for TTRPGs. However DTRPG takes a 30-35% cut of each sale, while itch.io allows the publisher to choose how much they give to the site (the default is 10%).

MatchstickUK

RPGnet Member
Validated User
t is certainly less popular for TTRPGs. However DTRPG takes a 30-35% cut of each sale, while itch.io allows the publisher to choose how much they give to the site (the default is 10%).
Oops I really wasn't clear there - I meant for purchasers from the EU rather than sellers.
Sorry about that.

Top Bottom