• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[a tro challenge] my game-fu is stronger than yours

Benjamin Beard

A Dragon-Sized Thirst
Validated User
In the spirit of Game Chef (http://www.game-chef.com/) I'd like to challenge my fellow forum-ites to a game off.

The idea is we take however many challengers we can, get one (or a few) judge(s) to then give us three ingredients that have to be incorporated into the game. We then have one week to make the game. At the end of that period, the judge(s) review the games and declare someone a winner.

How's that sound?

Here are a few of my preferences:

1.) that visual presentation not be included in the scoring of the game as I have absolutely no skill with any program that would let me lay out a pdf

2.) that we determine who the challengers and judges are, what the ingredients, and what the rated categories will be by Friday or sooner

So, how about it? Anyone want to take my challenge?

DeeCee

Drowning in Armour
Validated User
Colour me intrigued, but hesitant. In a challenger role, not a Judge.

More rules/criteria needed:

1) Does size matter? (rimshot)
2) Criteria by which it will be judged, other than "I dug it" or "The designer bought me a pint". Though those could make for interesting criteria.
3) Would the task be to create a setting, or to create the mechanical system? What about system ports into a new setting?

Last edited:

Knockwood

Trying to figure it out.
Validated User
I'd like to be part of this too...

In fact, I tried starting something like it up some time back, I think. In fact, I tried suggesting a 24-HourCreate A Setting thing, but barely got any participation... maybe I needed specifics...

Now, question: What do you have in mind for Ingredients?

For example: what kind of scope, Broad (must include Betrayal) or Specific (Must include a young redhead named Al)?

--Kwd

Benjamin Beard

A Dragon-Sized Thirst
Validated User
Colour me intrigued, but hesitant. In a challenger role, not a Judge.

More rules/criteria needed:

1) Does size matter? (rimshot)
2) Criteria by which it will be judged, other than "I dug it" or "The designer bought me a pint". Those those could make for interesting criteria.
3) Would the task be to create a setting, or to create the mechanical system? What about system ports into a new setting?
1.) Only if it matters to the judge. Given that I think a week is the time frame we should shoot for, I know I'm certainly going to strive for quality over quantity.

2.) Once we have someone or someone(s) interested in judging the process we can start getting some categories hammered out. "Originality", "Mechanics", "Setting", could all work.

3.) Task is to create an entirely new game. It's certainly fine if your game looks a lot like d20 or the Storytelling system...but I would say it probably wouldn't fly to say, "use the WoD main rule book + this setting..." Otherwise, I'd say, steal as liberally from whatever sources you want to. You'll take the hit on the "Original" category (if we have one, and I think we should) but if the rest is a big enough success that might not matter.

Benjamin Beard

A Dragon-Sized Thirst
Validated User
Now, question: What do you have in mind for Ingredients?

For example: what kind of scope, Broad (must include Betrayal) or Specific (Must include a young redhead named Al)?
I figure we let the judges come up with the Ingredients but I'd err on the side of broad ingredients over specific. That said, if the judges decide there is a specific ingredient they really want in the game...who knows? Maybe it would be interesting if we all had games that features a young firebrand by the name of Al.

Knockwood

Trying to figure it out.
Validated User
Actually, with three 'Ingredients' you might have one Broad, one Medium, and one Specific.

Although... I wonder if maybe you might consider having a Setting-specific contest as well as the actual game contest, because you could argue game design and setting design are distinct skills... (probability vs. prose, for one)

--Kwd

Benjamin Beard

A Dragon-Sized Thirst
Validated User
Actually, with three 'Ingredients' you might have one Broad, one Medium, and one Specific.

Although... I wonder if maybe you might consider having a Setting-specific contest as well as the actual game contest, because you could argue game design and setting design are distinct skills... (probability vs. prose, for one)

--Kwd
For the time being, I'd rather do one and perhaps rate both separately. That way it's possible to win if you blow the judge(s) away in either category and do passingly well in the other.

migo

whORE
Setting design would be pretty good. Usually the sign of a good setting is the made up names don't sound stupid.

Top Bottom