• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Aberrant 2nd Edition (Comic / Kickstarter is Running)

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Yep. While they might be optional rules, and I assume the update here is giving a summary and not the full rules, "devote yourself to people" and "devote yourself to an ideal" seem pretty fitting ways to help manage flux.

CrownedSun

Validated User
They also pretty solidly communicate, "These rules are flexible and you can fiddle with them to liking," while still maintaining the idea that the baseline Flux/Transcendence stuff has something to offer.

I like it.

Plus, hey, we totally have that Touchstone system that was asked for. Nice. XD

Glamourweaver

Validated User
They also pretty solidly communicate, "These rules are flexible and you can fiddle with them to liking," while still maintaining the idea that the baseline Flux/Transcendence stuff has something to offer.

I like it.

Plus, hey, we totally have that Touchstone system that was asked for. Nice. XD
Ehhh... I emphatically didn’t want one that requires secret identities, which is so obviously not part of the social setting of Aberrant as presented. I get that this is a meant to make it more 4 color, but I want an Anchor system based on baseline relationships that doesn’t require reinventing the whole setting with Novas maintaining secret identities.

I really feel that outside some weird fringe cases, secret identities undermine the core themes of what makes Aberrant distinct from other superhero settings. This is a world where the average Nova gets a multimillion dollar job from a corporation, or heroically works instead for an NGO - not one where they maintain a job as a mild mannered reporter to run off to fight bank robbers at a moment’s notice, as the norm.

Again, I get that that rule is intended as a setting adjustment to make the setting more like classic comics - and it does that! I’m just saying it doesn’t fit what I was suggesting as something that would work with Aberrant’s core setting as written.

Last edited:

taleswapper

Social Justice Lazy Warlord
Validated User
Ehhh... I emphatically didn’t want one that requires secret identities, which is so obviously not part of the social setting of Aberrant as presented. I get that this is a meant to make it more 4 color, but I want an Anchor system based on baseline relationships that doesn’t require reinventing the whole setting with Novas maintaining secret identities.
Couldn't you simply remove the requirement to interact with baslines while hiding one's aberrant identity and simply allow one point of Flux to be removed whenever a PC spends a scene in significant interaction with baselines? I feel like it wouldn't be a difficult change to implement. Maybe even something like interacting with baselines while treating them as equals. So not simply rescuing someone or whatever, but actually treating baselines as equals and interacting with them in a significant way, not something simply transactional.

I actually think there a lot of interesting implications there. It's hard enough for celebrities in our world to treat non-celebrities as people. I'm not sure how easy it would be for novas to fulfill that requirement. But the rule wouldn't be hard to implement.

Black Flag

Dweller on the Threshold
Validated User
I can see it fitting into the celebrity culture motif, in the sense that some celebrities have chosen to keep their real identities private and stick to a constructed persona onstage. And that may in fact be for the sake of their sanity as well as the mystique.

Glamourweaver

Validated User
Couldn't you simply remove the requirement to interact with baslines while hiding one's aberrant identity and simply allow one point of Flux to be removed whenever a PC spends a scene in significant interaction with baselines? I feel like it wouldn't be a difficult change to implement. Maybe even something like interacting with baselines while treating them as equals. So not simply rescuing someone or whatever, but actually treating baselines as equals and interacting with them in a significant way, not something simply transactional.

I actually think there a lot of interesting implications there. It's hard enough for celebrities in our world to treat non-celebrities as people. I'm not sure how easy it would be for novas to fulfill that requirement. But the rule wouldn't be hard to implement.
That’d be too open ended I think. I think something based on specific relationships is more balanced, and carries more interesting risk (Flux surging when something happens to them or they turn their back on you).

Glamourweaver

Validated User
I can see it fitting into the celebrity culture motif, in the sense that some celebrities have chosen to keep their real identities private and stick to a constructed persona onstage. And that may in fact be for the sake of their sanity as well as the mystique.
Some artists have stage names. That’s not the same thing as a secret identity where they live a double life. Other than “Hannah Montana” of course

I guess you could argue Banksy, but it’s not like Banksy makes public appearances as Banksy in a mask.

Black Flag

Dweller on the Threshold
Validated User
Some artists have stage names. That’s not the same thing as a secret identity where they live a double life. Other than “Hannah Montana” of course

I guess you could argue Banksy, but it’s not like Banksy makes public appearances as Banksy in a mask.
Well, there was 70s-era Kiss. And more recently Ghost. Neither pulled it off to perfection, but it was definitely a thing. Tobias Forge, despite being unmasked some time ago, still doesn’t give interviews that show his face because he doesn’t want it associated with the band instead of the character he’s created. Prior to a couple of years ago, you would have had to do some real detective work to find out who was behind the mask(s).

I’d argue that Hannah Montana and Jem are perfectly fine inspiration too, since the world of the Trinity Continuum kind of runs on TV conventions anyway, even when it’s on the gritty side.

Granted, superhero secret identities are more intense, but the stakes are also much higher.

I mean, if it bugs you, you don’t have to use it, but I’m just saying I don’t find it jarring.

Top Bottom