• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Aberrant 2nd Edition (Comic / Kickstarter is Running)

taleswapper

Social Justice Lazy Warlord
Validated User
Some artists have stage names. That’s not the same thing as a secret identity where they live a double life. Other than “Hannah Montana” of course

I guess you could argue Banksy, but it’s not like Banksy makes public appearances as Banksy in a mask.
I think this is underselling the ways in which celebrity culture promotes people maintaining public and private identities that are more distinct than most folks realize. Up to and including using disguises and employing people to create, portray and maintain said identities. That is, celebrities often have constructed public identities and public presences that they pay other people to help create and maintain.

taleswapper

Social Justice Lazy Warlord
Validated User
That’d be too open ended I think. I think something based on specific relationships is more balanced, and carries more interesting risk (Flux surging when something happens to them or they turn their back on you).
I think that, in practice, the requirement to treat baselines as equal for a scene of significant interaction would require specific relationships.

Tamoline

Destroyer of Threads
Validated User
Isn't this only if you explicitly want four colour flavour -- which does have an emphasis on secret identities -- and presumably has other ways of losing flux if you want to twiddle other knobs?

CrownedSun

Validated User
Ehhh... I emphatically didn’t want one that requires secret identities, which is so obviously not part of the social setting of Aberrant as presented. I get that this is a meant to make it more 4 color, but I want an Anchor system based on baseline relationships that doesn’t require reinventing the whole setting with Novas maintaining secret identities.

I really feel that outside some weird fringe cases, secret identities undermine the core themes of what makes Aberrant distinct from other superhero settings. This is a world where the average Nova gets a multimillion dollar job from a corporation, or heroically works instead for an NGO - not one where they maintain a job as a mild mannered reporter to run off to fight bank robbers at a moment’s notice, as the norm.

Again, I get that that rule is intended as a setting adjustment to make the setting more like classic comics - and it does that! I’m just saying it doesn’t fit what I was suggesting as something that would work with Aberrant’s core setting as written.
I haven't digged as much into the setting chapter as I could have, did they get rid of the whole "Masks / Nova Identity" things?

Because that was a pretty huge part of 1st edition Aberrant and I didn't see any huge reason it'd be gone this time around. The reasoning was, admittedly, less, "I didn't wanna turn into a monster," and, "I still wanted to maintain a normal life while keeping that separate from my Nova identity..."

But, similar enough, honestly.

I mean, there were like 4-5 pages devoted to this in the 1st edition core.

JetstreamGW

Seeker
Validated User
I haven't digged as much into the setting chapter as I could have, did they get rid of the whole "Masks / Nova Identity" things?

Because that was a pretty huge part of 1st edition Aberrant and I didn't see any huge reason it'd be gone this time around. The reasoning was, admittedly, less, "I didn't wanna turn into a monster," and, "I still wanted to maintain a normal life while keeping that separate from my Nova identity..."

Even in 1e, most of the most important characters didn’t wear masks or hide their identities. Pax, Mal... most of T2M and the Teragen really. Some elites did. Some XWFers...

Calonnau

Validated User
The system mentioned in the most recent update sounds like it would do anything I'd want it to do running an Aberrant game (and it looks like you could tweak it a bit to taste which seems a really good idea). I'm also very amused by how the game developers were clearly a few steps ahead of us.

Glamourweaver

Validated User

That was a fashion thing, they didn’t maintain separate baseline lives, and most original names were publicly known even if no longer used.

Glamourweaver

Validated User
Isn't this only if you explicitly want four colour flavour -- which does have an emphasis on secret identities -- and presumably has other ways of losing flux if you want to twiddle other knobs?
Yes and it’s fine for that purpose - my problem is with the default rules for reducing Flux not fitting the default setting, as the “secret identities” sidebar makes clear.

If the default rules fit the default setting, and I just wanted something different than the default setting, I wouldn’t be raising an issue, I would just be making and maybe sharing tweaks for whatever shift I wanted. But i’m raising an issue that I think needs to be reexamined by the writers because the rules aren’t fitting the setting as presented.

CrownedSun

Validated User
That was a fashion thing, they didn’t maintain separate baseline lives, and most original names were publicly known even if no longer used.
...there was a freakin' court decision saying that you couldn't sue a nova's actual identity for an action take by it's persona.

One nova noted how she had, like, SEVERAL persona's and maintained separate jobs and relationships in each.

So, no.

But, whatever.

Glamourweaver

Validated User
...there was a freakin' court decision saying that you couldn't sue a nova's actual identity for an action take by it's persona.

One nova noted how she had, like, SEVERAL persona's and maintained separate jobs and relationships in each.

So, no.

But, whatever.
Did ANY of those cases establish the character was still maintaining a baseline life and hiding that they were a Nova?

The entire point of the legal case you’re referring to was to provide an in-setting reason to establish a “persona” that does NOT involve trying to keep a baseline day job - as the latter would be kind of dumb when you’re making millions from Nike.

Top Bottom