• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

About to run Firefly - any advice?

thealmightyrob

Awkward Smiler
Validated User
I'm planning to run a one shot of the Firefly system this week, because a lot of our regular group can't make it. I'm not doing anything fancy, just using the pre-made characters and the adventure in the book. I've never run Firefly, or any of the cortex plus games for that matter, but I have read through the rules and think I have a good grasp on it. I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice for handling the system, or if there are any major pitfalls I should watch out for.

mosswood17

Validated User
I found the system to be REALLY resilient. Don't be afraid to step up problems instead of making new ones as it keeps your problem list down. Having some laminated note cards with dry erase markers really helps with the complications. Have fun and throw lots of monkey wrenches at every one!

Godfatherbrak

Validated User
I haven't run Firefly itself, but I've got a lot of experience with Smallville and Leverage and some with Marvel Heroic.

Use the complications. They make the game fun and interesting.
Let them read the bit on Shindig so they can see how taking a sub-optimal die choice can be advantageous.

mosswood17

Validated User
Oh yeah! Tell them to always make sure they have some plot points to spend! It can keep them in the game when the need it!

Amberpup

Validated User
Be sure what you want your campaign to be before you release the players on ship creation. Because if you have all the books, there's a lot to choose from.

thealmightyrob

Awkward Smiler
Validated User
Thanks for the advice, guys. I don't think I'll have any trouble throwing complications their way. I might try that laminated notecard thing, though...

mosswood17

Validated User
Thanks for the advice, guys. I don't think I'll have any trouble throwing complications their way. I might try that laminated notecard thing, though...
I have found that laminated notecards cut down on the amount of paper I glow through with games like Fate and Cortex+. They are extremely handy! I guess the one other thing I would recommend is to be as flexible as possible with your prep (or just do next to none). Usually I start with a very simple plan like "transport item from point A to point B". Throw a monkey wrench into the plan to get some dice rolling and when they start rolling then Complications start flying. I find at that point the story really starts taking on a life of its own. Don't try to keep the story in line with what you have planned. Give it room to breathe!

Godfatherbrak

Validated User
Or you can get a big whiteboard and put it down on the table.

It allows players to note stress and such easily and to keep track of anything that needs done in a big open space that you don't have to worry about organizing later.

Bluenose

Validated User
Ran the game for the first time last week. The whiteboard / notepad thing is damn near essential.

Be generous with plot points, especially with a one shot. It encourages people to do things once they see how useful they can be, and the system doesnt encourage them to hoard plot points in the way that some systems do.

Have a look at the scripts. I really struggled coming up with complications on the fly (in the end, I threw it open to the table ) but the scripts, I later discovered, have all sorts of gems in there that make for perfect, memorable complications.

Top Bottom