• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Ace Attorney Coming to Steam

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's also getting a Switch release on the same date. Since I'm in the mood for replaying those games (especially as the anime adaptation of the 3rd game just ended), it's going to be a day-one purchase for me.

Valmond

Validated User
Seems like the android version though, with the smoothed out sprites (they're decent but I hope there's an option to have the old sprites). I like that AA's getting a pc port, but I hope there's some extra stuff in there, because 30 bucks's a little much for a 15 year old trilogy of relatively short games (T&T came out in 2004 on GBA). Maybe when the entire series (at least Appollo and Investigations 1 and 2 the latter of which could get an official translation for the first time, and I wouldn't mind the 3d episodes as well) gets a bundle. Then we'll talk.

Gojira

in a rubber monster suit
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's a good thing for those who haven't played, but I have most of those games on my 3DS already. Plus I think the games cost about half as much on the 3DS too, so if you have that platform I'd recommend you buy it there. Better yet get it on sale, it's even cheaper (I can't remember if I payed $10 or $15, but it wasn't full price).

sun_tzu

Validated User
Considering how much my friend's hyped these games to me, how much I enjoyed the demo, and how much I loved Turnabout Storm on YouTube... Yeah, I'm excited. XD

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Having preordered it, I booted it up this morning. Played through until the end of the first trial day of case I-2.

- It's super-weird to play this in HD instead of on a tiny DS screen. The way graphics have been sharpened is a bit jarring at first, but I'm getting used to it.
- As I expected, playing on a single screen doesn't change anything. (Those started as GBA games, after all.)
- They didn't keep the voice commands ; yelling "Objection!" doesn't work anymore. Oh, well. (Hopefully the mic-based puzzles in Rise from the Ashes have been adapted properly.)
- With 10 saving slots and a direct "Load" option in the Start/+ menu, save-scumming has never been easier. Not that the game ever attempted to discourage it (the sixth game's Game Over screens are barely slaps on the wrist at all), but now it won't take any more button presses and screens than strictly necessary.
- I have no clue why they linked Select/- to the controller change console menu. Just completely unneeded.
- As in recent games of the series, Room Examination pixel hunt is made simpler with checkmarks on stuff you've already examined. That's very welcome.
- On the other hand, they didn't bring in the conversation log, so better not miss any vital lines ! (And probably disable the B skip button, which is way too easy to overuse.)

Anyway, overall this is a very nice port/HD upgrade for the games.

SorcererNinja

Ace Valkryie Pilot
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think I'll be picking this up in the near future so as to finally play all the way through the original trilogy.

Tuxedo Mask

Intl. Man of Mystery
Validated User
I'm interested, but £30 is way too much for 3 short 10 year old games, at least 1, maybe 2, I already played. I'll definately pick it up in a sale tho.

sun_tzu

Validated User
Played through cases 1-1 and 1-2 (so, the ones from the demo), excited to get started on 1-3 next.

Top Bottom