• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Ace Attorney Coming to Steam

sun_tzu

Validated User
This isn't Ace Attorney-related, but it's kind of one of several reasons I'm happy Ace Attorney exists:

Aaaaaand I've now played 3-5, completing the original trilogy.

Spoiler: Show
Huh. So Phoenix has a fear of heights?
...and proceeds to rush across a rickety suspended bridge, at night, while it's one FIRE, to go rescue a friend. Nick, you're a goddamn superhero.

"A fight between a lawyer and an overgrown furnace? Who'd ever pay to see that?!" Well, You did end up fighting Galactus seven years later...

Maya is quick to ship Phoenix with his ex. Pearl... I honestly found her devotion to her OTP a lot less unpleasant before she started beating Phoenix over it.

Larry, I'd call you hopeless... but I've seen how Phoenix was in college, and look how far he's come.

So... Edgeworth's been spending the past couple years prosecuting all over the world. ...OK, given how fucked-up the judicial system of Japanifornia is, it could use an internal reformer who's seen other systems.

So! We get to play as Edgeworth (and that was several years before Ace Attorney Investigations, too). Edgeworth gets to experience Lawyer Magic.
I also note that Edgeworth refers to Phoenix as "a very dear and indispensable friend". For all his stand-offishness, I don't think Edgeworth ever denies his friendship with Nick, like some common tsundere.

It is also to be noted that, apparently, Edgeworth is unaware of his own hotness.
I maintain that, while Phoenix may be the ace attorney, Edgeworth is the attorney "ace".

Only a dumbfuck like Larry could write a love letter that everyone interprets as a blackmail letter.

Honestly, I really enjoyed experiencing a section of the game from Edgeworth's perspective. ...And watching him get frustrated is more fun than watching it happening to Phoenix. XD

Hellllllo, Franziska. Long-time no see, you criminally underutilized character, you.
"Perchance, are you a relation of the legendary prosecutor Manfred von Karma?"
"...Legends are a thing of the past. I am a von Karma. That is all."

"Like a tutor, to make sure a spoiled child studies."
"(A tutor with a whip, in your case.)"
...Fuck you, Manfred.

"Is this how it is for Wright? Is this what it's like to be a defense attorney?" "(Is there some sort of "kick me" sign stuck to the defense's bench?!)"
Welcome to the deep end of the pool, Edgeworth.

"You huffy, puffy, loosey-goosey excuse for a whimpering whining excuse of a witness!" ...Larry, you miracle worker, you. You actually inspired creative insults from Fran!

Is it just me, or is Franziska a bit... chuuney?

Godot. *Kill Bill music starts playing*

Maya's name, written in blood - OH COME ON! Even Gumshoe knows better than buy it. ...Though for once, it's actually not an incrimination attempt.

"Pride is simply another trap that hinders us in our lives." Franziska and self-awareness are not close friends, are they? Considering the whole inferiority-superiority complex she's nursing...
Also, someone confiscate that whip of hers until she learns to communicate without it. For both her sake and everyone else's.

Morgan causing trouble from prison, Dahlia causing trouble from beyond the grave. ...Perhaps hiding Morgan's true nature from Pearl was not the smartest idea.

I'm kind of proud of having actually figured out how the body was transported across the burning bridge before the game explained it.

Hello Dahlia. Not nice to meet you.
Watching Phoenix and Mia BREAK Dahlia was awesome.

"You and my sister... You only met twice." ...That actually makes it somewhat easier for me to swallow Dahlia failing to get that evidence back for eight whole months.

I find it interesting that, while she has a good core, Iris isn't exactly innocent - like Terry Fawles, she was manipulated into some extremely shady stuff by Dahlia.

Mia declares that Phoenix has finished his training and is now a true Jedi Master.

OK. That was great. I have loved every single game and every single case in the Phoenix Wright trilogy, and this was no exception.
With that said...
...I think I'm very much in the minority, but I actually liked Justice for All more than I liked Trials and Tribulations.
Oh, they're both fine games that I'm very glad were made. But... 3-1 remains my least favorite case, I don't dislike 2-3 the way a lot of people seem to...
...and I can't stand Godot.
I don't even mean that in a "love to hate" sort of way. I loved to hate Manfred. Edgeworth and Franziska could be infuriating at times, but I still overall like them. I actually have a bit of a soft spot for Winston Payne (who never actually did anything underhanded in any trial we've seen him prosecuting).
Godot? Godot is toxic masculinity riding on a wave of bullshit. He was a condescending sexist before he got poisoned, and his motivation and actions once he comes back just make me want to throttle that petty, self-centered jackass. He knew about the murder plot, but he proceeded to get Mia and Maya's mom killed completely unnecessarily with his dumbfuck plan, because he cared about saving Maya way less than he cared about being the manly man who strode in to save Maya like he wished he could have saved Mia.
So, yeah. Godot disgusts me. ...Thankfully, the game at least acknowledges at the end how his motivation and actions were ultimately one giant pile of bullshit.

So, that's it for me and the original trilogy. Which, no doubt, leaves tons of fan-material (such as the aforementioned Turnabout Storm and Elements of Justice).
I'm planning to take a break from lawyering - been a while since I've played Stellaris - but after that, I'm definitely getting Ace Attorney Investigations and Apollo Justice on the Android Store (assuming it doesn't show up on Steam in the near future. XD )

Valmond

Validated User

"Is this how it is for Wright? Is this what it's like to be a defense attorney?" "(Is there some sort of "kick me" sign stuck to the defense's bench?!)"
Welcome to the deep end of the pool, Edgeworth.
My reaction to this moment basically :

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And I finished replaying through Case 3-5 : Bridge to the Turnabout too. I've always loved this case, and it fares even better on a replay.

- I always like it when a case starts before the murder, and you get to interact with the future protagonists (including the victim) for a bit. It's a cool way to make the case more immersive.

- Playing through the first day as Edgeworth is a joy ; his slightly different brand of snark feels very refreshing. And it's a great pilot for Investigations, of course.

- Honestly, it's just great to have everyone back for the grand finale : Edgeworth, Franziska, Larry, Pearl... and it ties up some long-running threads such as Misty Fey's disappearance and Morgan Fey's vengeance.

- Iris does herself no favours in the first day of investigations, making multiple ambiguous statements that sound a lot like she's Dahlia somehow having avoided prison and "atoning" in this remote temple. Conversely, post-earthquake "Iris" is very fascinating to listen to, from the barely-concealed hate on just everybody (especially her father, her mother, and Iris herself), to her displaying the same animations as Dahlia when flustered.

- In retrospect, I respect Mia's more "hands-off" approach here. She only participates in the trial for Dahlia's exorcism (as she should, since the witch is her archnemesis) ; gives a few hints at recess ; and of course gave Maya the advice that probably saved her life. But all the lawyering from the second day on ? Phoenix on his own. (Well, with a bit of help from Godot's self-sabotaging.)

- And yeah, Godot is an asshole who got Misty Fey killed for no good reason. Maya protected him because she believed he was important to Mia... but from the sound of it Mia herself was pretty much already over his bullshit.

Maya's name, written in blood - OH COME ON! Even Gumshoe knows better than buy it. ...Though for once, it's actually not an incrimination attempt.
It is totally an incrimination attempt... but from the victim, not the actual murderer. (Shades of DL-6 here, as assuming the victim to produce reliable testimony/evidence is a huge mistake.) As I mentioned before, the games are getting quite creative in subverting this hoary old cliché.

I find it interesting that, while she has a good core, Iris isn't exactly innocent - like Terry Fawles, she was manipulated into some extremely shady stuff by Dahlia.
And also by Godot, as we eventually learn.
By my count, she's the fourth guiltiest client we ever handled by this point, after Matt "I hired a hitman" Enguarde, Ron "Unrepentant thief" deLite, and Lana "Years of corruption" Skye. (I do think she's worse than Terry "Faked a kidnapping and escaped from prison" Fawles.)

Which is why I have a hard time buying the Phoenix/Iris relationship, at least moving forward. Hopefully they both got closure from those events, and moved on.

Anyway, now that I'm done replaying the trilogy, this whetted my appetite to revisit some of the later games. Not really Investigations (I already replayed it several times, and I'm in no hurry to go through AAI2 again so soon), but mostly AA5, which I only played the once. (Which I guess means going through AA4 again beforehand.) But before that, I'm going to tackle Phoenix's encounter with this other gentleman who likes pointing at things : Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

sun_tzu

Validated User
Anyway, now that I'm done replaying the trilogy, this whetted my appetite to revisit some of the later games. Not really Investigations (I already replayed it several times, and I'm in no hurry to go through AAI2 again so soon), but mostly AA5, which I only played the once. (Which I guess means going through AA4 again beforehand.) But before that, I'm going to tackle Phoenix's encounter with this other gentleman who likes pointing at things : Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.
I know Investigations, Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice are on the Android store, but what are the options for playing Investigations 2 and PLvsPWAA?

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I know Investigations, Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice are on the Android store, but what are the options for playing Investigations 2 and PLvsPWAA?
Unless you go for the high seas, Investigations 2 is Japanese-only (where it does seem to have gotten a iOS/Android port besides the original DS release).

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney seems to have only been released on 3DS.

sun_tzu

Validated User
Unless you go for the high seas, Investigations 2 is Japanese-only (where it does seem to have gotten a iOS/Android port besides the original DS release).

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney seems to have only been released on 3DS.
*sigh*

Well, I guess my only choice, then, is to recommend this game to so many people that Steam sales convince Capcom to port more games.

Sark

Validated User
I think AAI2 is a lost cause regardless of how well the re-releases do. They've pretty aggressively neglected that one. They're in no hurry to deal with the Ryunosuke prequels either.

PPvPW was never meant to get a non-Japanese release and kind of lucked into one (it's also a bit of an odd duck for most NA fans of the Layton games, as they simply reused the EU localisation rather than doing their own one). It's also not solely a Capcom game and Level-5 haven't been in any great rush to port the other Layton games - the first and last are on mobile, but that's about it.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I understand that the crossover game was mostly a Level-5 production, which had its advantages (getting a Western physical, multi-language release at a time Capcom was barely bothering to release AA5 & AA6 as English-only digital games ; also all the DLC was completely free), but also its drawbacks (L5 don't seem to be in any hurry to port their back catalogue of Layton games ; at this point we've got the latest one - conceived as a mobile-friendly game from the get go - the first one, and a Japanese-only port for the second one).

sun_tzu

Validated User
- And yeah, Godot is an asshole who got Misty Fey killed for no good reason. Maya protected him because she believed he was important to Mia... but from the sound of it Mia herself was pretty much already over his bullshit.
Did Maya even know about Godot and Mia's relationship? My impression is that she was trying to cover for him because he saved her from Dahlia.
Of course, he could have saved her by not putting Morgan's murder plot letter back where Pearl would find it, but noooooo. Hence why I'm not upset about leaving him at the mercy of the twisted justice system of Japanifornia.

Top Bottom