• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Ace Attorney Coming to Steam

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Did Maya even know about Godot and Mia's relationship? My impression is that she was trying to cover for him because he saved her from Dahlia.
Of course, he could have saved her by not putting Morgan's murder plot letter back where Pearl would find it, but noooooo. Hence why I'm not upset about leaving him at the mercy of the twisted justice system of Japanifornia.
Spoiler: Show
I recall that there are a few lines of dialogue that can be interpreted that way ; at the very least, I'm pretty sure Maya explicitly mentions Mia once in the context of her covering for Godot. But I may be getting this wrong.
(Presumably Mia would have mentioned Diego Armando to her sister, in a similar way she told her about Phoenix in the 1-2 prologue. The question then becomes whether Maya made the connection to Godot in 3-5... But let's remember that he had some time to brief her before her testimony, so he might just have told her outright at that point.)

As for his eventual fate, I'm guessing Godot won't be long for this world anyway ; he always sounded like he was living on borrowed time already, and Dahlia knifing him in the face (with no proper treatment for a couple of days) can't have helped.

Valmond

Validated User
The entire premise of 3-5 is full of fail (doesn't make it bad, but still), honestly.

It's incredible that Godot and Misty (she's just as much to blame for this mess) managed to fuck things up to that extent. They had all te elements to prevent things from happening but somehow chose a ridiculously convoluted mess of a plan that backfired horribly. They knew Morgan's plan and found the letter. They could have indeed kept the letter, they could have, on I don't know, TOLD MAYA SHE WAS THE TARGET OF AN ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT, I mean she got framed like twice already, so she's not gonna get shocked by that, hell they could even have had a talk with Pearl and been a little honest with her. They could have not done this stupid masquerade where Misty doesn't even let Maya know she's her goddamn mother, they could have also told Phoenix I guess. This entire murder happened because two grown adults couldn't properly ground a twelve year old.

sun_tzu

Validated User
The entire premise of 3-5 is full of fail (doesn't make it bad, but still), honestly.

It's incredible that Godot and Misty (she's just as much to blame for this mess) managed to fuck things up to that extent. They had all te elements to prevent things from happening but somehow chose a ridiculously convoluted mess of a plan that backfired horribly. They knew Morgan's plan and found the letter. They could have indeed kept the letter, they could have, on I don't know, TOLD MAYA SHE WAS THE TARGET OF AN ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT, I mean she got framed like twice already, so she's not gonna get shocked by that, hell they could even have had a talk with Pearl and been a little honest with her. They could have not done this stupid masquerade where Misty doesn't even let Maya know she's her goddamn mother, they could have also told Phoenix I guess. This entire murder happened because two grown adults couldn't properly ground a twelve year old.
Well, to be fair, Misty is the person who went into self-imposed exile and never contacted her family over the next 17 years. I can totally believe she was kind of a mess... and that Godot, being the charismatic "I totally know what I'm doing despite all evidence to the contrary; who are you going to believe, my suave coffee metaphors, or your lying eyes?" type he was, could convince her to go along with his self-gratifying plan.

Valmond

Validated User
Godot's just as much of a mess, if not more, I mean, he was kind of an overly dramatic ass when he wasn't a zombie, but being poisonned to near death and spending years in a coma only to wake up a cyborg and coffee addict and find your lover was murdered is going to leave some scars. Misty had it rough, but it's not like anybody forced her to exile herself and let her daughters deal with the consequences and her jealous sister. Finding her and convincing her to take some damn responsibility for her last remaining daughter's being in mortal danger might be the one good thing Godot did in this entire wreck.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, I've gently started replaying through Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. And wow, I had forgotten how the classic Layton lunacy is already making the Ace Attorney Trilogy feel grounded in reality. (And I'm barely through the prologue !)

Quick plot summary of the prologue :
A former student of the Prof brings to him a Mysterious Young Girl (tm). They're both chased down by "witches" (not traditionally-looking ones, though ; they're weird looking humanoids who can fly and disguise themselves as birds). The guy's car somehow ends up on top of a tree at the end of a car chase. Layton & Luke also find a secret passage inside the Tower Bridge. Also, the Girl's precious book somehow contains pictures of future events. And suddenly absorbs our heroes into itself.

Even by Layton standards this is quite a lot to swallow. Even knowing the game's ending (HEAVY SPOILERS : LOL HYPNOSIS).

sun_tzu

Validated User
I was talking to a friend of mine about these games, and she's given me permission to quote her on the subject:

"The game series is actually really good at picking prosecutors that mesh with the overall themes of the game.

Miles Edgeworth (circa AA1) is a man who's been corrupted by his job into something unrecognizable as the hero who saved a terrified protagonist in fourth grade. The murderer of his father used the murder to twist Miles into a vicious agent of the same force that killed Gregory Edgeworth, and it's only through revealing the truth of what actually happened that the person Miles used to be can be revealed again, transforming him back into a force for justice.

Franziska von Karma's obsessive quest for 'perfection' and hidden, desperate need to prove that she's the best is clearly set up as an intentional contrast to Phoenix - the entire game of Justice For All is leading up to the moment where Phoenix triumphantly gets a guilty verdict for his own client, something that Franziska clearly could never have done herself - (again, at least as she was circa AA2.) The contrast is meant to show that for Phoenix, it is never and never was about simply 'winning' - it's always been about justice, which Phoenix tries to bring about by winning.

Diego Armando could have been Phoenix Wright. But he wasn't. Perhaps it's just chance and fate and Dahlia Hawthorne that brought this about, or perhaps the arrogant, toxically masculine flaws were always there, but the opportunity to be a heroic defense attorney was denied him. So he becomes Godot, setting aside his mocha lattes for dark and bitter coffee, and devotes himself to destroying the man he wishes he was. When the truth is revealed about Godot - that he's devoted so much of himself to destroying Phoenix over petty jealousy that the spirit of Mia picked Wright and not him - it's another one of the harsh realities of the game.

Shi-Long Lang (from Ace Attorney Investigations 1) is what Miles Edgeworth used to be, and a man who cares nothing about the awesome power he wields as long as he wields it. Deciding that arresting everyone in sight will eventually get him to the real killer, and commanding a near-army of police loyal to his every command, he either doesn't know or doesn't care that his methods will produce false confessions from terrified witnesses long before the real killer is found.

Klavier Gavin is an effete boy band leader who moonlights as Prosecutor (or a Prosecutor who moonlights as lead signer in a band), endlessly concerned with his own reputation and a bit more interested in showing off in the courtroom than actually getting to justice - or even winning, for that matter. His - flamboyant ways are clearly meant to contrast with Apollo, who is humiliated throughout the game and fights his way through it for his clients.

Simon Blackquill has a dark and gothic affect, yes, and he walks into the courtroom wearing leg irons with a police officer watching him at all times to be sure he doesn't attempt to escape. But this is, in fact, still the lighter game. The truth is eventually revealed to free Blackquill from his bonds - rather than the dark-souled unrepentant murderer he claims to be, he's an innocent man with a passion for justice who had the misfortune to walk home one day and find 8-year-old Athena Cykes dismembering her mother Metis with a robotic assembly line, explaining to him that 'Something's wrong with Mommy, so I'm taking her apart to fix her.'

Prosecutor Sahdmadhi is a man whose belief that he is right curdled into faith in his own righteousness years ago. And since he is so clearly righteousness itself, how evil must be the people who stand in his way? Why not don the mantle of 'the Last Rites Prosecutor' and seek the death penalty for all of your opponents, who are clearly guilty because they disagree with you? Why not do anything, play any trick, threaten anyone, because you're a force of divinity itself and your opponents are wicked sinners?"

sun_tzu

Validated User
Also, trying to rank my favorite cases...

"Absolutely loved it" Tier:
1-4. The whole plot arc revolving around Phoenix, Edgeworth and to a lesser extent Larry is amazing. Manfred von Karma is an extremely memorable villain. Plus, Phoenix gets to truly shine as he both saves a client who confessed mid-trial and defeats the God of Prosecutors by cross-examining a parrot and wielding the metal-detector, the Manfredslayer!
1-5. This case is kind of "1-4, but extra". Now, I admit it does run kind of long... but the way Phoenix outmaneuvers and finally defeats Damon Gant in the end is one of my favorite moments in the entire trilogy.
2-4. Really, what's not to love? The sheer tension. The return of Will Powers. That jaw-dropping Engarde reveal. Adrian Andrews. Franziska's arc. And that amazing climax.

"Not the best, but close" Tier:
1-2. It's a bit short, comparatively speaking, but this is where we first start seeing the sort of genius Phoenix is. Besides, Redd White is such a satisfying villain to beat.
2-2. It's a pretty cool locked room murder mystery, it introduces both Pearl and Franziska, and its culprit had some genuine tragedy and pathos to her.
3-4. It's got Mia! It's got a fascinating look at the start of Edgeworth's career! It helped develop the chilling monster that is Dahlia Hawthorne. And it's hard to beat that tragic ending.
3-5. Playing as Edgeworth, more Franziska, that fantastic Phoenix/Mia combined beatdown of Dahlia, plus I got to finally send Godot packing.

"Liked it a lot" Tier:
1-1. The case that starts it all, and does a great job of it.
1-3. Will Powers is awesome, Edgeworth starts getting some development, and it's a good mystery.
2-1. Watching Phoenix win while having amnesia was great fun.
2-3. Honestly, yeah, I found it plenty enjoyable. Good mystery, and wow, if I thought 2-2 had tons of pathos, just look at Acro.
3-2. Ace detectives and phantom thieves! Need I say more?

"Eh... It's still Ace Attorney" Tier:
3-1: It should have been awesome, but... meh. The execution felt off, for more reasons than just Grossberg being reduced to a terrible running gag.
3-3: It's not without its good parts... but there was just too much that was cringe-worthy.

...So, yes, I'm gonna have to go against the grain and say I enjoyed Justice for All more than Trials and Tribulations. They're all great games, though.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Most of those descriptions were insightful, but...
Prosecutor Sahdmadhi is a man whose belief that he is right curdled into faith in his own righteousness years ago. And since he is so clearly righteousness itself, how evil must be the people who stand in his way? Why not don the mantle of 'the Last Rites Prosecutor' and seek the death penalty for all of your opponents, who are clearly guilty because they disagree with you? Why not do anything, play any trick, threaten anyone, because you're a force of divinity itself and your opponents are wicked sinners?"
I have to disagree a lot on this one, although elaborating on it will need HEAVY SPOILERS for Ace Attorney 6 : Spirit of Justice.
I just can't take this Prosecutor seriously as a "man of faith" after we learn not only his backstory as a former member of the Rebellion (with direct knowledge of the system being rotten) who became a prosecutor to subvert the judicial system from within... but also that a lot of his holier-than-thou current demeanour is at least partially under duress, as he's being blackmailed by the Big Bad.

Indeed, if there's someone this description fits a lot more, it's definitely the Princess, who gets divine/supernatural insight of The Truth and thus has no qualms about advocating the death penalty for the defendants (and anyone defending people who are so obviously guilty). And she gets a satisfying character arc of learning to see that reality is more complex and that even her divine insight can be manipulated.

And that's the Prosecutor's problem in a nutshell : he's stuck between the more thematically-relevant, better-developed-as-a-character, and actually sympathetic Princess, and the Big Bad proper of the game, i.e. the direct incarnation of everything that is wrong with the system (and motivated entirely by envy and lust for power). That just leaves no room for him to either evolve (ala Miles or Franziska) or be satisfyingly taken down (ala von Karma or Godot). He's just a very static annoyance whose shtick gets old very quickly.

Valmond

Validated User
Aviary Attorney is fun, but quite different from AA in a number of ways, like multiple endings for example (actual multiple endings, not troll bad endings). Loved the art, at any rate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom