Guidance:I have at this point twice received emails from Alexander Macris, the designer of ACKS and the owner of Autarch, that I personally took as legal threats because of his status as a lawyer and the language he used, which included words like "defamation" and "reputational harm". The posts that Macris was responding to were made by RPGnet volunteers who were acting in their personal capacity as regular posters to this board; they offered their personal opinions on Macris' political allegiances primarily based on his association with Milo Yiannopoulos and used that to suggest that gamers shouldn't support Macris' roleplaying concerns.
This comes about from the fact that Macris choose to be the CEO of MILO, Inc., a company formed by Yiannopoulos. He was apparently approached by Milo back in 2016 (http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/21/t...a-chat-with-the-supervillain-ceo-of-milo-inc/) and stayed around until early 2018 when Politco reported that he was terminated because of Yiannopoulos' financial issues* (https://www.politico.com/story/2018...odes-after-death-of-crypto-billionaire-557456). His overall employment running Yiannopoulos' business dated from May 1, 2017 to April 30, 2018.
Macris has told me he's a libertarian Republican, but the issue in the posts was always about his relationship with Yiannopoulos. So, to unwind that further you may need to know who Yiannopoulos is. Here's some articles:
- Milo Yiannopoulos filmed singing 'America the Beautiful' while white nationalists gave Nazi salutes: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-white-nationalists-karaoke-bar-a7987486.html
- Explosive Video: Milo Yiannopoulos And White Supremacists At Karaoke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLNLPIRS62g
- Here's How Breitbart And Milo Smuggled Nazi and White Nationalist Ideas Into The Mainstream: https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetw...bannon-milo-yiannopoulos-report/#38930fdd925c
- Milo Yiannopoulos sends coded neo-Nazi message to New Yorker fact-checker: https://spectator-usa.com/2018/06/m...-neo-nazi-message-to-new-yorker-fact-checker/
- Milo Yiannopoulos: My call for shooting journalists was just a 'troll': http://thehill.com/homenews/media/3...all-for-shooting-journalists-was-just-a-troll
So, what type of words are you allowed to use to discuss someone who took a professional position where he actively enabled someone who engages in that sort of behavior? Can you say that he shares in those same attitudes or not? What is fact, what is reasonable opinion, and what might actually meet the very, very high standard required for "defamation"? Twice now I was asked to arbitrate that, and to make a decision about whether what I perceived as legal threats had any possibility of endangering a site that's used by hundreds of thousands of unique users every month. It was a horrible dilemma because I had the contradictory positions of being a steward of this site both for Skotos Tech and for its users and being violently opposed to the various positions advanced by Yiannopoulos and not wanting in anyway to condone them or feel like I was covering them up. Thankfully the decision was taken out of my hands in both situations, but not before it considerably raised the stress of many folks (including me) whose main goal is keep this site running, so that y'all can enjoy it.
I'm not willing to go through that rigamarole a third time. It's bad for me, it's bad for the moderation team, and it's not adding anything helpful to the site. So I'm asking the admins to add both ACKS and Autarch (and by extension Macris) to the forbidden topics list on this site alongside the Westborough Church and whatever else is on there right now.
* An Edit: Macris has told me that he choose not to renew his one-year employment agreement.
Footnote: Yes, the mods haven't updated the forbidden-topic list since the recent revision of the rules; it'll be coming along.
Footnote-2: Do not use this thread to attack Macris, ACKS, or Autarch.