• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

ACKS & Autarch Added to Forbidden Topics List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verenes Aoene

Materialist Spiritualist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As per backstage discussion, which I was unaware of at the time, we have decided not to do this.
Are you willing to disclose some of the reasoning behind this decision? If you don’t have time to talk/any more details would be classified, that’s fine, I just feel like knowing the reasoning behind not putting it in a yellow banner would help me better understand how to navigate the forum, for example; if it were because users are supposed to check the Rules every so often to be aware of changes like that, I could check that more often.

Hello Kaiju

Squeeonk!
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As the GM of said game, please let me know. Thank you.
The short version is your game is getting grandfathered.

There are a bunch of details under discussion but the details in question are more about our side of things and shouldn't affect game play for you or your players.

We will very likely add posts or edit the OPs of related threads to reflect this grandfathered state but we're probably going to take more time figuring out the official wording than is fair to ask you or your players to wait to wait.

In the meantime feel free to quote this post in your game.

Terhali

30-50 feral hogs
Validated User
Unless the revision of the forbidden topics list is imminent, it might be wise to add this to the old list, or at least append a note that the list is obsolescent/incomplete.

Sorry y'all have to deal with issues like this.

Sphinx of Black Quartz

Huggable Space Caterpillar
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Are you willing to disclose some of the reasoning behind this decision? If you don’t have time to talk/any more details would be classified, that’s fine, I just feel like knowing the reasoning behind not putting it in a yellow banner would help me better understand how to navigate the forum, for example; if it were because users are supposed to check the Rules every so often to be aware of changes like that, I could check that more often.
Basically, because it's not a big deal. We won't be combing old threads and sniffing out mentions of ACKS, nor will we be smiting good-faith posters with our mighty banhammers. If somebody starts an ACKS thread, our most likely course of action is simply to close it with a reference to this thread. It's not like ACKS threads are particularly common in the first place.

komradebob

Validated User
Probably a stupid question, but would this impact a sales/trade thread ?

IOW, if I decided to get rid of a bunch of OSR stuff I'm not using, and this was one of the items, what would the rule be?

Steamed Bun Love

Here for the pork buns
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Probably a stupid question, but would this impact a sales/trade thread ?

IOW, if I decided to get rid of a bunch of OSR stuff I'm not using, and this was one of the items, what would the rule be?
You will have to find a different venue.

Verenes Aoene

Materialist Spiritualist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Basically, because it's not a big deal. We won't be combing old threads and sniffing out mentions of ACKS, nor will we be smiting good-faith posters with our mighty banhammers. If somebody starts an ACKS thread, our most likely course of action is simply to close it with a reference to this thread. It's not like ACKS threads are particularly common in the first place.
Ah, I see. It seemed a very odd decision, this helps me understand, quite a lot.

Sometimes authorities (general term) make decisions that seem odd, or contradictory to the user/consumer/insert-synonyms-here. Sometimes they are made in bad faith, or some other negative reason, and it is important to hold authorities accountable for that. But the thing is, a lot of the time those decisions do make sense, when you're looking with the perspective that their authority gives them. Some people never realize this. But I have.

Human perspectives are prone to distort under stress, making actions seem cruel or absurd, and from my experience, open communication helps dispel that. And with the expanded perception it provides, it allows you (general) to see better the logic of their decisions, and if they are improper, harmful, or otherwise negative, to rebuke them in more effective ways.

I don't see enough people (general again, I know not everyone is unjustified) attempting to communicate openly with the various bureaucracies surrounding them, and people not knowing effective ways to change them, or how to properly communicate with margialized communities to know how to amplify voices, voices which get washed away by the sweet and creeping power of good intensions. I am reminded of book-lovers marching through a library to mark every book to be kept, and not interfacing with the bureaucracies enough to know that the library does not have space for them all, and thus priceless first editions get thrown out because the method of saving them was drowned in good intensions.

Which is why I'm making this post, on my metaphorical soapbox. because this forum has enlightened me so much, and I was thinking that maybe I could share some of my light. Help connect the dots for some of you, as you have done for me.

Please do feel free to move this post, I realize this may not be the proper section for it.

Aspeon

Validated User
I assume this applies to other Macris projects/properties, or at least his involvement with them? He owns the video game site The Escapist, which sometimes comes up in VGO.

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Anyone asking a question not because they actually have a copy of Adventurer Cornfarmer Flumphlord Pirate to sell, or actually want to talk about his other projects, or whatever? Don't.

Don't be the guy who has to poke at anything ruleslike to try to find the boundaries and figure out all the edge-cases. Don't be that guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom