ACKS & Autarch Added to Forbidden Topics List

Status
Not open for further replies.

komradebob

Validated User
Anyone asking a question not because they actually have a copy of Adventurer Cornfarmer Flumphlord Pirate to sell, or actually want to talk about his other projects, or whatever? Don't.

Don't be the guy who has to poke at anything ruleslike to try to find the boundaries and figure out all the edge-cases. Don't be that guy.
I asked because I've been looking at significant downsizing and that was one of the items in question. I picked it up long before its designer's ties were widely known, but at a time it was being regularly lauded as a gem of OSR design here at RPGnet.

IOW, it wasn't hypothetical. I've bought and sold a number of things using the Bazaar forum over time, generally RPG related.

evilboy

Validated User
Well, shucks. It's unfortunate that it's come to this, but considering the circumstances I can see why.

This particular topic has caused me some personal anguish because the game in question is, IMO one of the best OSR games out right now...but is also connected with values I am very opposed to. This is the one topic among all the hot button news of late that has been personal to me; I was in particular angry (at first) that the last thread on the game was diverted yet again away from the game and to the creator. It was my own example of how even gaming no longer can afford the luxury of ignorance of critical social issues.

That said, I do understand that decisions like this are less about statements of site values and more about not wanting to see significantly increased drama and stress for little return in value to discussions of RPGs.

I don't post often, and never before in issues like these, but I just wanted to say that I know the staff has been stressed out unreasonably so over all these recent decisions. I thank you for this effort (and support your actions), and I wanted you to know that at least in my case it's made me think more about consequences of the choices we make in entertainment. :)

Last edited:

0Megabyte

Stardust Princeling
Validated User
Anyone asking a question not because they actually have a copy of Adventurer Cornfarmer Flumphlord Pirate to sell, or actually want to talk about his other projects, or whatever? Don't.

Don't be the guy who has to poke at anything ruleslike to try to find the boundaries and figure out all the edge-cases. Don't be that guy.
Frankly, considering how wildly unusual and outright unprecedented it is for an actual rpg to be banned from mention on the largest rpg website in the English speaking world, poking is the least you should expect, and the least someone interested should do.

Edit: To be clear, the logic makes sense, potential legal threats make talking about it a bad idea, and I'll abide by it. This is the last post I'll even mention it for that reason.

But I'll defend the fact that people would be necessarily surprised and wish to ask stuff like this. It's natural and the opposite of bad faith.

Last edited:

The Unshaven

Validated User
Thanks folks. This can't be a fun position to be in, and this is a much cleaner, more effective, and less terrible solution than trying to ban discussion of the politics surrounding the games would have been.

HorusArisen

Lord of Misrule
Validated User
I’d rather you ban politics in the games forum. I’m not an OSR fan so I’m not going to miss discussions about this game but picking and choosing which games it’s permissible to talk about? That’s a slippery slope. I mainly frequent the site to hear about new games coming out or older ones I haven’t heard of so this is a worry.

Last edited:

Seroster

The Moses of Funk
Validated User
I’d rather you ban politics in the games forum. I’m not an OSR fan so I’m not going to miss discussions about this game but picking and choosing which games it’s permissible to talk about? That’s a slippery slope. I mainly frequent the site to hear about new games coming out o I haven’t heard off so this is a worry.
Maybe the designer shouldn't have issued legal threats against rpg.net? The administration didn't ban discussion of his games because of his politics, but because he put them in a situation where free discussion of him and his game could lead to a lawsuit against rpg.net.

HorusArisen

Lord of Misrule
Validated User
Maybe the designer shouldn't have issued legal threats against rpg.net? The administration didn't ban discussion of his games because of his politics, but because he put them in a situation where free discussion of him and his game could lead to a lawsuit against rpg.net.
It’s their site and they can do what they want but situations like this are easy to avoid if you enforce gaming conversation only in gaming topics.

Banning this game doesn’t bother me as I’m no fan of D&D and it’s redheaded stepkids but what happens when someone related to say Evil Hat throws a hissy fit or those pbta games or BRP.

Last edited:

Sphinx of Black Quartz

Huggable Space Caterpillar
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I’d rather you ban politics in the games forum. I’m not an OSR fan so I’m not going to miss discussions about this game but picking and choosing which games it’s permissible to talk about? That’s a slippery slope. I mainly frequent the site to hear about new games coming out or older ones I haven’t heard of so this is a worry.
This decision was not made based on any political content of ACKS or due to Macris's personal beliefs or associates. The mod staff made this decision due to perceived legal threats.

Moderator Text:

Any further hand-wringing over "omg RPG.net is coming for my POLITICS" will result in a threadkick and a warning.

HorusArisen

Lord of Misrule
Validated User
This decision was not made based on any political content of ACKS or due to Macris's personal beliefs or associates. The mod staff made this decision due to perceived legal threats.

Moderator Text:

Any further hand-wringing over "omg RPG.net is coming for my POLITICS" will result in a threadkick and a warning.
I don’t do politics. I just care about being able to discuss games.

Tanka

We See You
Staff member
Validated User
I don’t do politics. I just care about being able to discuss games.

Moderator Text:

We already stated our position. Since you seem to want to stir up trouble instead, leave the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom