• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Actual Play] Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beri

Only One
It's a bad time for Galactica. The ship's ancient, the fuel's low, the civilians are cranky...and if that wasn't enough, the Cylons have infiltrated the fleet. They look like us. They act like us. But at a crucial moment, they're sure to let their allegiances be known.

This is the actual play thread for my play-by-post game of Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. (If you're concerned about it being in Roleplaying Actual Play, just tell yourself it's an RPG with a really strict system!)

The human players want to jump 8 units of distance, then make one final jump to Kobol.

The Cylons want to prevent that from happening, whether it be through lack of fuel, starvation, surrender, genocide, destruction, or slaughter.

Beri

Only One
First, some general rules.

Players should subscribe to this thread, preferably with instant e-mail notification. I'll expect you to respond at least once a day, hopefully more when possible.

No PMs between players on any topic even remotely related to the game. Even two revealed Cylon players may not speak in secret; all conversation should be in this thread and above-the-table.

Look at the secrecy rules on P.20. You may not reveal the exact strength of cards in your hand, but you may state the actions you're able to take, or ask other players if they are able to take a particular action. In other words, "If I make this roll, can anyone aid me with Strategic Planning?" is okay. "Can you toss a 4 or 5 in this check?" is a no-go.

If you look at a card in the deck, you may not reveal any information about that card.

Conversely, if you have the opportunity to look at another player's Loyalty Card, you may share that information with the group, keep it under your hat, or lie.

Revealed Cylons may not share their hands with each other, or reveal to each other what their Secret Crisis is or what colors it requires.

People not involved in the game may comment, but please keep such comments to a minimum. And refrain from accusing players of being Cylons - I think the players themselves will take care of that!

I'm still working out the details, but I'm planning on using Google Docs to share information with people about their Skill Cards, so you should sign up there if you haven't already. For dice rolls, you can use a website such as this one http://www.rpglibrary.org/software/securedice/ to roll dice and e-mail them to me automatically. Feel free to use other sites if you prefer them.

Edit: Grab this link: http://www.rpglibrary.org/software/securedice/?dq=1&ds=8&dd=none&dt=1&to=YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS&cc=bfiggins@gmail.com&sub=Battlestar%20Galactica%20%Roll
That'll fill everything in, and let you roll a single D8, nice and quick.

Last edited:

Beri

Only One
Next, some game rules.

If we end up with 4 or 6 players, I plan on using the 'No Sympathizer' variant on FFG's website. However, I think it'll be okay if we allow Boomer in the game.

The fleet will begin with 1 extra in every resource.

Cards removed due to scouting or other abilities are discarded in secret, rather than being placed on the bottom of the deck. No big change, I just don't wanna track the bottom of the deck.

With Skill Checks, there is time for discussion, playing Investigative Committee, and cards like that. It is up to the current player to declare an end to discussion, at which point everyone should PM me the skill cards they're contributing. As soon as I have cards from everyone, I'll tally it up and declare the outcome.

When submitting your cards (or PMing me about anything, really) please include your character name, a short summary of what you're doing (e.g.: In response to the 'Colonial Day' crisis on Adama's turn), and the number and color of the cards you're using.

An update of the game board will be done at the resolution of each crisis. The game board will primarily be a quick text-based notation, giving all the relevant information, so it'll be up to you to mentally lay out the positions of enemy ships relative to Galactica, and determine how you want to react to them.

If a choice has to be made during the Move Cylon Ships phase, I will make the decision that is most advantageous to the humans. I will try to activate Raiders in the most inefficient method possible, and to attack the pilot furthest from the current player (so they have more time to be ordered out of sick bay if things go sour)

Strategic Planning and Evasive Maneuvers present a troublesome spot, as I don't want to have to wait for a response every time a die is rolled. I think I'm going to do it like this. At any time on your turn, you may play as many Strategic Planning/Evasive Maneuvers as you wish.
Strategic Planning: Each card played adds 1 to a general pool for all players. Any time you roll a die, you may choose to draw from this pool, adding 2 to the roll before you roll. (Revealed Cylons excepted.)
Evasive Maneuvers: When you play Evasive Maneuvers, you can designate who it will be used on: Any Viper, Any Manned Viper, Any Unmanned Viper, or a specific pilot. It will automatically be used on the first attack against such a Viper.

A lot of reference, such as character cards and the board itself, can be seen on BoardGameGeek: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/game/37111

Last edited:

Beri

Only One
My current list of players (and player order) are:

1. Calculon: Gaius Baltar
2. Old Scratch: Tom Zarek
3. Willow: Sharon "Boomer" Valerii
4. Stantz: Kara "Starbuck" Thrace
5. Karnivor
6. LeoCrusher: Saul Tigh

MILITARY
William Adama
Karl "Helo" Agathon

SUPPORT
"Chief" Galen Tyrol

POLITICAL: We have two political leaders, so Political is closed, unless anyone objects.

PILOT: Two pilots means that we don't need any more.

Last edited:

Calculon

Emergency Comedy Hologram
Validated User
We don't have a military, so I wouldn't mind Saul Tigh, but I've never been a political character before.

I select <strike>Count</strike> Doctor Gaius Baltar.

Stantz

Start-upity
Validated User
A pilot seems like a good choice for a first-timer. Give me Starbuck, if no one minds.

Beri

Only One
Those choices sound good to me. Here's how I think we'll do it:
Everyone just decide on a character, so long as we have at least 1 Military, Political, and Pilot character, and no more than 2 in any of those categories. Chief Tyrol can be taken at any time, or left behind entirely.
Once you've all got characters, I'll rearrange the player order so that it's a legal setup of the board game. (i.e., you normally can't have two political leaders sitting next to each other.)

Calculon

Emergency Comedy Hologram
Validated User
(from here on out I will be posting in charcter in this thread, so in your mind's ear, assume all of my posts to be read aloud in James Callis' sneering accent.)

Seems like a passably well-staffed fleet. Not much hope for humanity if it wasn't, eh? Though I am a bit disappointed that we hadn't the wit to term this "Galactica Actual (play)". Still, beggars and choosers and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom