• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[AD&D/OSRIC] First Edition Lost Classes

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
I like OSRIC, but for one reason or another, the OSRIC core rules don't include the monk and bard class (though some people have written variants of those classes). So I wrote OGL versions of the monk, bard, barbarian and cavalier. They cane be downloaded for free on Lulu or, if out don't want to register somewhere just to download them, on my website.

Custom character sheets are included for the monk, bard and barbarian. The barbarian and knight currently don't have THAC0 and saving throw tables included, but as they use fighter's tables anyway, that's not a big issue. I want to combine everything into one PDF at one point, but probably not right now.

I hope you in enjoy it; feedback is welcome.

ShadowStalker

Validated User
Any chance you have a version of the Scout that was in Dragon Mag way back in the day? I really liked that class.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
In which issue was it? I have a whole bunch of issues here, but not all of them.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
I might actually do that over time. Dragonsfoot has a couple of class lists IIRC.

Well, and the thief-acrobat didn't get a writeup yet. ;)

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
I'm currently doing the duellist writeup and I need a little help. The DM article mentions that duellists work as hitmen and are paid like assassins. That makes sense, higher fee if assassin level is high and victim level is high. However, they also mention that duellists who defeat opponents in single open combat receive XP according to the "assassination experience points table". Where is that table? If I type that into Google (with quotation marks), I only get three hits, all of which are referring to the duellist class. I can't use the payment table because that would mean that high-level duellists could XP farm by slaughtering low-level NPCs (unrestricted, unlike the assassin).

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
I'm currently doing the duellist writeup and I need a little help. The DM article mentions that duellists work as hitmen and are paid like assassins. That makes sense, higher fee if assassin level is high and victim level is high. However, they also mention that duellists who defeat opponents in single open combat receive XP according to the "assassination experience points table". Where is that table? If I type that into Google (with quotation marks), I only get three hits, all of which are referring to the duellist class. I can't use the payment table because that would mean that high-level duellists could XP farm by slaughtering low-level NPCs (unrestricted, unlike the assassin).
Page 20, in the DMG. It's not a table, it's a calculation. But it's probably what the article refers to.

Though it doesn't solve the farming problem -- an assassin gets 100 XP * level of the victim, minus 50 XP * difference between the level of the assassin and the victim, and then multiplied by the difficulty modifier (*0.5, *1, or *1.5). Changing that 50 to 200 might solve the problem.

hammer_of_milk

Retired User
White Dwarf might be a good thing to look at too. Crypts and Things has the weird Magician class which doesn't come from any magazine. But it also has a cool Barbarian class which is really different than the one in Unearthed Arcana. I've read that it comes from White Dwarf and is pretty close to that. The Newport author/guy would have more details about it. I'm looking at the Crypts and Things book but I can't find a reference to a specific White Dwarf magazine. I can't remember ever seeing White Dwarf in the stores, probably written in French or something. :D

I could do without the Unearthed Arcana classes. None of them really do anything for me. I was just pondering the Cavalier class. Its crazy! You get better in Str, Dex and Con every level! :D Are the Oriental Adventure classes imported to any OSR supplement?

Dragon could have some real cool stuff from time to time. I remember at least 2 classes in it, I think they were for NPCs only but what does that matter in Dnd?

Add:
It looks like the Barbarian class from Crypts and Things comes from White Dwarf issue #2:
http://www.stargazersworld.com/2011/03/23/crypts-and-things/

Last edited:
Top Bottom