• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Adamant] Thrilling Tales/Mars Savage Worlds

TonyTempest

Captain of Colors
Validated User
I've been out of touch with the forums (and internet in general) over the holidays.

Has Adamant been able to release their Savage Worlds versions of Thrilling Tales and Mars yet? I'm looking for Dead Tree versions when it is released.

Mr. Skarka has cancelled the forums on his site due to spammers, but said he would answer questions on this site and EnWorld. So... I'm asking here :) Any updates?

thanks

david

Sylvre Phire

Custodian of the Flame
Validated User
It seems to me I heard rumblings that they're still in the works... I'm sorry that I can't provide a link or other source to cite. :(

Pax et bonum

TonyTempest

Captain of Colors
Validated User
Thanks.

I checked out the Pinnacle board threads. Didn't find much on the release of Savage Worlds Thrilling Tales, but it looks like Mars was supposed to be out in mid-December. It's a little late, but I preordered d20 Mars and it was a little late, too... but worth the wait.

Hopefully SW Mars will come out close to when I get my income tax return and I can get it.

david

Gareth-Michael Skarka

Banned
Things have been.... Interesting. (I can't really go into much more detail than that.)

Schedules, as a result, have been thrown into disarray.

To answer your question as clearly as I can:

SW THRILLING TALES is, at this point, cancelled. For several reasons, including: 1) SW works better with settings, and THRILLING TALES was never a setting, but rather a genre toolkit. 2) There are several other companies already handling pulp for Savage Worlds, which, when I looked at it realistically, reduced the value that we'd bring to the table. Other folks are already doing it, and doing it well. No need for us to muddy the waters, there.

So, currently, I'm still considering what to do with THRILLING TALES. I love the genre, and I'm proud of the work we've done -- but d20 Modern is dead, so no reason exists to continue the line as-is. I could re-boot it with a new system, but given the success of SPIRIT OF THE CENTURY, I'm not sure there's much point in releasing yet another pulp system.

We've considered just releasing FATE translations of our existing adventures (for use with SOTC), and we've considered perhaps doing a TRUE20 version of the game. Honestly, though, I'm not sure -- and I'd happily listen to suggestions.

SW MARS is a different story. The delay there was due to a) waiting for the last bits of new art work, b) waiting for me to write the expanded setting material and new adventures, and, to be honest, c) wanting to make sure freelance artists are paid before we release -- something which was made a lot harder when Adamant was hit with a nearly 40% drop in year-to-year sales in the last quarter of 2008.

We're still planning on release -- but at this point, I should be conservative and say that it will be out in February. That's the Savage Worlds version.... we were also considering a FATE version, but we're not sure if there's enough demand for it.

Eponymous

Validated User
Things have been.... Interesting. (I can't really go into much more detail than that.)
Gareth, I hope your health is fine and its not another scare for you on that front. Stay well and stay strong friend.

So, currently, I'm still considering what to do with THRILLING TALES. I love the genre, and I'm proud of the work we've done -- but d20 Modern is dead, so no reason exists to continue the line as-is. I could re-boot it with a new system, but given the success of SPIRIT OF THE CENTURY, I'm not sure there's much point in releasing yet another pulp system.

We've considered just releasing FATE translations of our existing adventures (for use with SOTC), and we've considered perhaps doing a TRUE20 version of the game. Honestly, though, I'm not sure -- and I'd happily listen to suggestions.
Gareth I have been trying to get get you and Jeff Combos to team up!!! lol

I have been using your Thrilling Tales with Ubiquity and its a really nice fit. I suggest throwing in with Jeff and developing in that direction.

SOTC while neat and all is actually a [relatively]very complex and ...unfocused game. ..For some its just too "indie"[I like it but it needs - in the words of one of my players - "a whole group of GM's to make it work"].

I find Ubiquity and HEX a much more elegant and playable game.
Great for both beginners [which SOTC is not] and veterans alike.

The material developed for the surface world is sparse so there is plenty of room for more and costumed pulp has not been addressed in that setting as yet not to mention more work on magic, mysticism, Atlantian "tech" etc. Gareth you and Jeff would be a scary good match IMHO.

You may also find Jeff very open to Mars as he is also planing to release "Revelations of Mars" for HEX.

The synergy seems golden.

Contact Jeff on jcombos@exilegames.com

TonyTempest

Captain of Colors
Validated User
I'm sorry to hear about Thrilling Tales. I know I'm an anecdote of one, but one of the things I think is missing from Savage Worlds is the toolkit thing. I know that there are the PDFs from Smith and Robards, and they are releasing some of those in book form.... so, as a businessman I can see why that might be the decision you would need to take.

As for Mars, I'm still looking forward to it. I preordered the D20 version, is there a chance to preorder a dead tree version of the Savage Worlds version? Maybe get some money to pay your freelancers that way?

thanks

david

pulpguy

Validated User
I'd like to see a OpenD6 version of both THRILLING TALES and MARS, too bad about the SAVAGE WORLDS edition of TT.

Pilgrim

Strength Protocol
Validated User
SW MARS is a different story. The delay there was due to a) waiting for the last bits of new art work, b) waiting for me to write the expanded setting material and new adventures, and, to be honest, c) wanting to make sure freelance artists are paid before we release -- something which was made a lot harder when Adamant was hit with a nearly 40% drop in year-to-year sales in the last quarter of 2008.

We're still planning on release -- but at this point, I should be conservative and say that it will be out in February. That's the Savage Worlds version.... we were also considering a FATE version, but we're not sure if there's enough demand for it.
Pity about the schedule - I hope its for something positive there.

As to Mars, bummer about SW. I guess that leaves me doing a conversion by hand.

TonyTempest

Captain of Colors
Validated User
As to Mars, bummer about SW. I guess that leaves me doing a conversion by hand.
I think (unless I misread it) that there will be a SW version of Mars (at least it's still planned as of now) but there may not be a SotC (FATE) version of Mars.

At least I hope that's what I read. I would like the Savage Worlds version, but have little use for a FATE version.

david

Top Bottom