• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Age of Wonders: Planetfall

Knaight

Validated User
I've found that saving often clears freezes. It's probably a bug, which means Triumph will probably be on it soon.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
How useful would playing a bit more of the prior AoW game be in getting ready for this? I bought it months ago, played it for a bit, and then stalled out.

phred

Validated User
How useful would playing a bit more of the prior AoW game be in getting ready for this? I bought it months ago, played it for a bit, and then stalled out.
Playing Age of Wonders 2 and AoW: Shadow Magic will help accustom you to your units missing during combat. That Random Number Generator gave me a few grey hairs. The misses don't seem quite as bad in this game.

I never could get into AoW 3, but I think with all the added features in this game (sectors/provinces/unit mods), you probably don't need to have played AoW 3. So far, the strategic gameplay for me is closer to Civ games, and of course Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. The tactical battles are similar, but armies in the previous AoW games were more melee based, and I'm not seeing any abilities quite like the combat spells of AoW.

Actually, now that I think about it. The early game running around fighting small NPC battles feels a lot like "creeping" in Warcraft 3.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
I should have made it clear I was referring to AoW3; I've played a fair bit of Shadow Magic, and AoW3 seemed not dissimilar, but different enough I had some trouble with it, and I wondered if made sense to go back and try and engage again.

NobodyImportant

Validated User
I am impressed with how many sci-fi tropes they managed to stuff into this setting. If I wanted to create some kind of gonzo sci-fi equivalent to DnD, this wouldn’t be a bad place to start.

ResplendentScorpion

neither glitter, nor substance
Validated User
I should have made it clear I was referring to AoW3; I've played a fair bit of Shadow Magic, and AoW3 seemed not dissimilar, but different enough I had some trouble with it, and I wondered if made sense to go back and try and engage again.
AoW3 might get you a feel for the cover/distance and more dynamic combat compared to older titles. And an idea for the kind of difference a class (secret tech in Planetfall) can make. And it is a very decent game on it own, and even better with mods. And really encourages you to clear the map and spam settlements, something that is also present in Planetfall.
But it's not something that will prepapre you for any of the specifics.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
AoW3 might get you a feel for the cover/distance and more dynamic combat compared to older titles. And an idea for the kind of difference a class (secret tech in Planetfall) can make. And it is a very decent game on it own, and even better with mods. And really encourages you to clear the map and spam settlements, something that is also present in Planetfall.
But it's not something that will prepapre you for any of the specifics.
It was the other things you referenced I was thinking of. I don't expect it to match up close, but if there's some look-and-feel things, I thought it might pay to go back and play the game I already have before biting the bullet and buying the new one (not that I don't already have 4-5 games in my back-queue anyway...)

Knaight

Validated User
You can climb the learning curve in either game. AoW III is a good game on its own rights, but don't get it as a glorified tutorial. Though it's been repeatedly free.

Goodsport

Adventurer
Validated User
This game seems pretty interesting and I'm tempted to save up for it, but I already spent quite a bit (even if on a discount) not too long ago on another Paradox game (Stellaris and all of its expansions and DLC's).

What are the similarities/differences between these two sci-fi games and are they both worth owning, or should I instead concentrate my next purchase on Imperator: Rome (ironically, yet another Paradox game ;))?

-G

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
This game seems pretty interesting and I'm tempted to save up for it, but I already spent quite a bit (even if on a discount) not too long ago on another Paradox game (Stellaris and all of its expansions and DLC's).

What are the similarities/differences between these two sci-fi games and are they both worth owning, or should I instead concentrate my next purchase on Imperator: Rome (ironically, yet another Paradox game ;))?

-G
Stellaris and Age of Wonders Planetfall are going to have almsot nothing in common beyond both being sci-fi strategy games.

Top Bottom