• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Age of Wonders: Planetfall

Morty

Validated User
Literally 15 minutes after posting, it occurred to me you could also manually reshuffle your colonists or set priorities to the automation. That allows you to put more colonists in "happiness" jobs, so you can actually avoid the martial law.
I'm still in the process of learning the game, which does include things like "but wait, where is the Volcano habitation tech for these guys" and how to manage expansion.
Wouldn't have worked, as I only had two happiness slots, which were filled. I ended up declaring martial law and then bought a happiness-increasing tech from the psi-fish. By the time I researched another tech and could build the structure it enables, I won the mission.

ResplendentScorpion

neither glitter, nor substance
Validated User
What are the similarities/differences between these two sci-fi games
Stellaris is a bit like Imperium Galactica.
Planetfall is a bit like having the strategic layer of Master of Magic with the tactical layer of X-Com.
I really cannot recommend Stellaris right now, unless it's on sale.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Yeah, trying to compare those two games is about like trying to compare, say, Master of Orion with Alpha Centauri. Other than both being SF games and 4x, there's not much in common.

Knaight

Validated User
Now that I've got a bit more experience with military systems around conquest, I've got to say that I really like the way it's handled. Cutting off sectors just generally works better than occupying resource nodes did, the timers are reasonable, and the one turn rebuild for turrets, wall style, is generally a lot of fun. Though given the number of ground units you'd think they'd still have walls in the future.

I'm also genuinely impressed by how different the factions are. The AoW III races racial units had a tendency to be a bit overly similar, with maybe a standout or two that were genuinely different. Here though? There's a broad role similarity and tech tree similarity (which isn't my favorite thing, but was expected) but there are genuinely major differences between the units and more reason to use them instead of going all in on faction units. Especially the workhorse infantry; there's huge differences there that are really well done.

Yeah, trying to compare those two games is about like trying to compare, say, Master of Orion with Alpha Centauri. Other than both being SF games and 4x, there's not much in common.
If anything they're further apart. AoW is way over on the squad tactics side of 4x games, with a very limited scope (a planet, yes, but the map's aren't actually planetary scale by any stretch of the imagination). Meanwhile Stellaris is stupid huge, all combat is spaceships, and it fundamentally focuses on massive scale politics.

Last edited:

ResplendentScorpion

neither glitter, nor substance
Validated User
I really hope a diplomacy refactor is coming soon.
I just don't enjoy the fact that if I choose to exterminate some Mad Max raiders suddenly all NPC factions are at war with me, but if I help them, the other NPC factions still hate it. Likewise for the logic behind some of the actions of AI players. E.g. the guy that crawls up to my border and invades all my claimed sectors, then everybody is mad if I attack him over it (even factions that were already at war with him). Similarly, I hate getting a racial relations penalty just because another player attacked me for no particular reason.

Sigrid Hex

Social Justice Valkyrie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Someone gifted me this game over the weekend and I've been having a blast with it so far, though I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing and everything ends in disaster unless I live on an isolated island and never meet anyone. :p

I just want to spread my xenoplagues in peace, is that so bad?

LordofArcana

Validated User
Someone gifted me this game over the weekend and I've been having a blast with it so far, though I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing and everything ends in disaster unless I live on an isolated island and never meet anyone. :p

The Age of Wonders series is generally quite warlike. This one seems like it is less so based on what I've seen so far, but previously the whole economy system was just there to gate the resources you could put into fights and refusing to attack other players just means you get farther and farther behind. Diplomacy was there to help you guarantee you were always at war with one other player (not more, not less)

Ferrus Animus

Validated User
You can play more diplomatically now. But there'll always some AI's that don't like you.

Small information about the Xenoplague, that for some reason is not in the game:
At the end of battle the game adds all infected units and their tiers together and compares it to a certain value (I don't know the value). You then get one spawn or evolution for each time you reached the value, and a percentage chance for another for all points left over. If that roll fails remaining points are kept for the next time someone is infected.

Sigrid Hex

Social Justice Valkyrie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You can play more diplomatically now. But there'll always some AI's that don't like you.

Small information about the Xenoplague, that for some reason is not in the game:
At the end of battle the game adds all infected units and their tiers together and compares it to a certain value (I don't know the value). You then get one spawn or evolution for each time you reached the value, and a percentage chance for another for all points left over. If that roll fails remaining points are kept for the next time someone is infected.
I see. So the +30% Doctrine, I am guessing that is only for the latter percentage chance?

Top Bottom