• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Agon, 3:16 and Remember Tomorrow: What I love about those games

Fatespinner

Validated User
Hi all,

I read Remember Tomorrow a lot in the last few days and started to notice one thing that I really dig about the game. Goals.

The whole game is centered around goals. Your character is only defined my conditions, all other values relate to your goals how to achieve them. In a scene you can either try to get more prepared to finish your goal (tick a parameter: Ready, Willing or able) or increase your chances to tick a parameter.

Basically it is you running around gathering information, equipment and so on until the game defines that you have everything you need to get to your goal.

This mechanic is why the game can work without a GM and only with a switching controller.

Now Agon has no goal, but Quests and subquests. Those quests are basically goals for your group. I wondered if it would not be possible to use goals from Remember Tomorrow and put them into Agon (or any other game for that case). Every subquest is a "parameter" for the main quest and when you have the subquest fullfilled, then you have everything to finish the main quest.

I am sure not everybody likes that or that my post may sound strange...but this mission and goal concepts. It is something that helps me to GM a game.

The other thing I like about those games is how they handle combat. Especially Agon andf 3:16 do it in a really cool and abstract way, that has become my favorite way to handle weapons and ranges. It is just brilliant.

I can only recommand those three games to anybody who likes his games structures or goal/mission based.

Carl Stanford

Carnage Amongst the Web
Validated User
Now Agon has no goal, but Quests and subquests. Those quests are basically goals for your group. I wondered if it would not be possible to use goals from Remember Tomorrow and put them into Agon (or any other game for that case). Every subquest is a "parameter" for the main quest and when you have the subquest fullfilled, then you have everything to finish the main quest.
I know 3:16 and Agon, but not the new game Remember Tomorrow. I'm interested in implementing Goals from RT. Can you tell me more about them and how they could be used in 3:16.

I guess each Mission gives some kind of benefit and if the players "cash in" all their benefits in their last Mission they win?

Civil Savage

Proud Lifetime Member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In RT a PCs stats are Ready, Willing, and Able. Each is also a "tickable" box. When you get all three boxes ticked, you are R/W/A to achieve your goal, and you achieve it.

I'm not sure how this could be applied to 3:16, but I guess you could have some kind of boxes that can be checked off maybe by the kill winner of each world? (Or of each conflict, for faster movement?)

In RT, opponents can also "untick" your boxes, which makes it more difficult to get your goal achieved.

(See my sig for my game that take a different view on goals.)

Gregor Hutton

Causing Carnage
Hey, thanks. That's a good observation.

I guess other games that do this as well are Hot War, where your Factional Agenda is ticked or crossed (successful or unsuccessful) when you try to shoot for achieving it. If it's over 9 boxes then it's successful if you have at least 5 ticks, for a smaller Agenda (say 3 or 5, which are the two shorter Agendas) then you need fewer ticks (2 and 3, respectively). In other games you can do this by linking a larger Goal to successes in scenes leading up to it. Is this social scene of the tea ceremony a help or a hindrance in resolving the issue with the Daimyo of the region? Is this scene, fighting the Orcs, going to help resolve the scenario's goal of helping the starving villagers? Can you defeat the Owlbear and make a step towards thwarting Bargle's influence on the surrounding area?

One of the drivers in Remember Tomorrow is seeing who is close to achieving their Goal, and you then try to work against them getting it (with the effect of helping them towards it if you fail).

A number of exits from the game (by achieving Goals, by apparently being killed, by being reduced in effectiveness or by a Faction triumphing) brings the Episode to an end. I was very much influenced by Trollbabe's resolution of conflicts in either single rolls, best of three or best of five. The three Goal ticks is closest to the best of five.

Fatespinner

Validated User
Well, the best thing about the goals is, that you or a faction can slowly increase the plot power, the more affort you put into getting to your goal instead of going for it directly.

Currently I wonder how it is possible to use it for "missions" When looking at Agon, factions can clearly be gods and other influences and the characters get a complex mission.

Well in 3:16 you could add it. Your goal would be the mission. Combats are just a way to get to your goal. Basically I would replace the Parameters with the "skills" from 3:16 and handle the characters similar to a faction. Of course the combat in 3:16 is more detailed and so a bit more needs to be done to integrate it. But the idea is nice I think.

Top Bottom