• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

[All Editions] In which we delve into the inspiration behind the game's monsters

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
So do I truth be told.

Although I would go halfway with them, like if you threaten the Oracle part she can summon up the snake part to attack for her.
After rereading their stat blocks, I think all four of them could use a major overhaul. None of them have divination powers for one thing- I guess that it was inferred they were meant to be part of the weirds' spell casting abilities. And I think curses relating to their portfolios would make a much better attack than a hell of a lot of spells for the DM to keep in mind.

Crinos

Be inspired!
Validated User
After rereading their stat blocks, I think all four of them could use a major overhaul. None of them have divination powers for one thing- I guess that it was inferred they were meant to be part of the weirds' spell casting abilities. And I think curses relating to their portfolios would make a much better attack than a hell of a lot of spells for the DM to keep in mind.
Well to be fair, MM2 was kind of a mess stat wise. It was billed as containing monsters for high level play, so a lot of the monsters there were absurdly overpowered (Like the famine spirit, which I imagine we will be getting to eventually, an undead which sneaks into food stores at night to eat all the food.... which is also a CR 19 combat monster with a symbol of pain aura and a vorpal blade bite.)

VoidDrifter

Validated User
I just wanted to bring up; whilst 3e recreated the Elemental Weirds as nymph like elemental oracles, the old-school elemental snake weirds did return in 3e as well, as the Larval Weird (or was it the Lesser Weird?) in Dragon Magazine's "Ecology of the Elemental Weird".

WistfulD

Validated User
Top Bottom