• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[All Eds+, Poll] "I like X, but my group doesn't"

My game preference NOT shared by my group is...

• 1e or clones (OSRIC, LL:AEC, FH&W, debatably C&C)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Games with cross-edition inspirations (13A, B&T, HAD, Radiance, SWN)

• Specials & Snowflakes, a game so unique I MUST post to describe it!

• Total voters

ezekiel

Follower of the Way
Validated User
Over many years, I've seen the titular sentiment expressed many, many times. Typically phrased as, "I actually like/prefer [edition/game X], but I'm in the minority" or "in the minority in my group." It also seems, but this could be confirmation bias talking, like this is more common for 4e fans than those of other editions. So I thought, hey, why not conduct a poll and talk about this sort of thing? Sure, it's not representative of anything really, but at least I can get a handle on how many people here feel like this.

So--do you have an edition or game that you really love, but your group doesn't like or won't even consider? Or are you lucky to have a group that (generally) prefers the same things you do?

For those who are "in the minority" in their group: do you ever do anything to try to address that preference (e.g. seek a second group that does play that game, talk to your fellow players about options you can pursue), or do you just accept it? How does your group generally react to expressing interest in your game of preference? If you're the DM, do you try to convince people to play the edition you like? Do you just run what the group wants?

For those "in the majority": if one or two fellow group-members really likes a game that nobody else cares for, do you ever do anything differently to try to accommodate them? Would your response differ if you were a DM rather than a player (or vice-versa, if you're usually DM)?

Note: Because there are way too friggin many retroclones out there, I'm just picking out ones with names I recognize as examples. If you know your preferred game to be a retroclone or descendant of OD&D (or whatever else), even though I didn't mention it, please vote appropriately! And if you feel I mis-named or mis-categorized something, vote for the category you consider appropriate, examples be damned.

Last edited:

0Megabyte

Stardust Princeling
Validated User
If I could pick two, I'd choose 4e (which I did) as well as BD&D. Nobody wants to play 4e, and when we do play old school D&D, it's always AD&D 1e, which I DO love, but not as much as BD&D, which I love more.

ezekiel

Follower of the Way
Validated User
If I could pick two, I'd choose 4e (which I did) as well as BD&D. Nobody wants to play 4e, and when we do play old school D&D, it's always AD&D 1e, which I DO love, but not as much as BD&D, which I love more.
I had considered making it a multiple-choice poll, but decided it would be better to make it single-choice and let people do as you did if they feel strongly about it.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Probably 4e. Mainly because its "MMO" reputation has been so cemented here, people that never played it included.

Another 4e here.

It's not my favourite edition, but I would like to play/run it again some time. Unfortunately my group hate it, so it's never going to make it to the table again. The real shame is that I never got to play it - only DM it.

Edit: On the other hand, my favourite edition - 5e - is also my group's favourite edition; so I shouldn't really complain.

Last edited:

Ornithopter

Validated User
You don't seem to have included an option for 5e?

Re: the majority question - In the 5e home campaign I'm currently running we started at higher level, partially because one of the players feels that low-level 5e characters don't have enough stuff going on. He prefers 4e in general.

I also make an effort to talk to players about character types that might fit their particular preferences. Another player in an earlier campaign once said, "When I'm done making my character, I want to be done looking at the rules; I never want to read and think about all the stuff in Chapter 9." (The chapter with the general combat rules.) While he prefers 5e in general, he liked that in 4e most of the rules you engaged with would be explicitly printed on your character sheet.

So, when he was looking at making a Fighter, I warned him off the Champion and towards the Battle Master. I think many of the Champion's tactical options are an outgrowth of the general rules in Chapter 9, while the Battle Master has interesting options even if you only rely on the stuff that's explicitly printed on your character sheet.

Last edited:

Aenghus

Ne plus ultra
Validated User
My poll answer was 4e, a historical one in my case as I lost my 3.x group when I changed to 4e, having become burned out by the 3.x prep workload, but my group at the time turned out to dislike 4e, which I immediately fell in love with.

Fortunately I recruited a new group of players and am still playing 4e with them, so there's a happy ending.

There probably should be a 5e entry in the poll for accuracy. I would be slow to run 5e, but could see myself playing the occasional con game or pickup game.

Carcharodon

Sith Eldritch Horror
Validated User
I answered 4E. My current group aren't fans of D&D in general, preferring games in a more modern setting, but they REALLY hate tactical, rule-intensive combat, so 4E is basically their kryptonite. I, on the other hand, would love to run a game or three of 4E. Or 5E, since they're on a Chronicles of Darkness kick lately.

Top Bottom