• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

OOC All Exiles Say They Were Kings

Hituro

Eager Critmouse
Validated User
Ready is an action taken in combat. Since the party wasn't in combat, I should not have allowed Vorodos to ready a shot at the leader whenever he raised his sword.

EDIT: Why are your damage rolls +15 and not +5? What am I missing here?
Sharpshooter, it is why I roll +5 to hit and not +10

I am not sure that ready ruling makes sense, it means no one can be ready to do something if combat starts. After all, what’s combat? It is fair to say we were in combat as soon as I pointed a bow at someone surely? And yes, I do realise I am arguing to be shot by the concealed archers :) We can, after all, most certainly dash, and Help out of combat, but those actions are written in the combat section.

5E is plain language, it isn’t trying to catch you out. There is no special in combat vs. Out of combat status. You just do normal things with the rules there to help you. Right now I feel you are letting the rules get in the way of the game, it shouldn’t be like that.

sulldawga

Validated User
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/02/15/players-readying-actions-outside-combat/

EDIT: Also
Readying actions outside of combat is trying to act first whether you win initiative or not. The entire point of initiative is to determine who is more "ready" for combat. And since we hadn't rolled initiative, we were not in combat.

There is certainly combat vs out of combat status. You need either Surprise or Initiative to take Combat actions.

I understand where you're coming from. It's entirely reasonable for you to say, "As soon as that guy does X, I attack". The problem is that the other guy is saying, "As soon as that guy reacts to me doing X, I attack". The initiative rule determines which "as soon as" action happens first.

Hituro

Eager Critmouse
Validated User
I can see that. Another option, I suppose, would be to allow those ready actions but do them in initiative order? It's tricky.

sulldawga

Validated User
The only thing I'd be willing to do is to let you enter combat mode and ready an action which A. precludes you from doing anything else, including talking negotiation , B. has to be renewed every six seconds, and C. might result in something bad the longer you kept it up.

So if you wanted to draw back your bowstring and loose the arrow when X happens, regardless of Initiative, I'd allow it. Your bowstring is drawn, you've got the drop on your foe.

But you can't negotiate because you're focused on watching your foe and not shooting him early, you need to keep the bowstring drawn, and every round you're holding it taut, I'd roll to see if you got tired and loosed it by accident.

This wouldn't apply to spells. Spells not cast the round they're readied fizzle away.

Outside of that, I'd want to stick with the surprise and initiative rules.

Safid

Validated User
For what it's worth, I am on the same page with Sully. I've DM'd a lot of 5e and readying actions out of combat just doesn't work. If you have two parties who are aiming weapons at each other, both fully aware, and combat breaks out, initiative determines who goes first. Otherwise you just get a never ending steam of "ready action: shoot if he tries to shoot" every 6 seconds, which doesn't make sense.

Even when the PCs have surprise, readying actions often doesn't matter. The PCs know there are orcs on the other side of the door. PC A wants to ready an action to shoot after PC B opens the door! OK, but if the PCs have surprised the monsters, they get a free round of actions, and all that readied action does is fix any blips in the initiative order (you still roll initiative even if you surprise someone) to allow A to shoot after B opens the door in the event A's initiative was lower than B. That's fine, but definitely corner case.

Anyway, back to the game. Sully: Hiram is just walking up to a paralyzed dude and disarming him rather than auto-critting him to death. Hopefully you don't mind me taking some liberties with being able to throw his bow away.

sulldawga

Validated User
Sury's AoO is from Round 1. Does he have an action for Round 2?

Also, which bandit did you target? M4 or M6? You would hit either one so assume one of them is still within reach.

thirdkingdom

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sury's AoO is from Round 1. Does he have an action for Round 2?

Also, which bandit did you target? M4 or M6? You would hit either one so assume one of them is still within reach.
I don't really care which one I target . . . let's say M6. If the AoO hits but doesn't drop the target he'll attack again, intending to knock out but not kill:

http://orokos.com/roll/719443: 1d20+7 13 1d10+4 9

He'll let the other one flee.

Top Bottom