IC All Exiles Say They Were Kings

sulldawga

Registered User
Validated User
Town of White River
30 Thirdmonth
Noon


After a two week journey, the party arrives on the Frontier.

Standing topside, you see the eponymous town of White River slowly but surely come into view. Being late into the Thirdmonth, the river mouth is clear of ice but a thin glaze of snow covers the lands around the town. No doubt the townspeople will care much more about the shipments of grain and salted beef in the ship's hold than the arrival of a few more disgraced citizens of the Empire. This time of year, food supplies are running thin and farmers anxiously await the spring thaw to sow the new year's crops.

As your ship, the Good Graces, pulls up alongside White River's largest dock, you note a number of porters and stevedores queued up and waiting. The first mate walks by you and clears his throat to get your attention.

"As agreed upon, your personal possessions and horses will be taken to the Bloody Mary. Once this occurs, our contract is complete. You will need to check in with the town scribe upon disembarking. Any questions?"

His last question was apparently rhetorical as he walks away without giving any of you a chance to respond. None of what he said is new to you, however. You were informed that there were only two inns in town: the Bloody Mary for commoners with money, and Snake 'n' Jake's for those without.
 

sulldawga

Registered User
Validated User
Town of White River
30 Thirdmonth
Noon-ish


The scribe, bracketed by two bored guards with spears, waves each passenger forward one by one, until they all form a semi-circle in front of him.

"Welcome to White River. Those of you sentenced to transportation can proceed with Constable Dunn."

The scribe reads off a few names and those poor sods are waved away to follow a sturdy looking man in a studded leather jerkin. The rest of you turn your attention back to the scribe.

"To spend a night in White River, you must demonstrate solvency. This means depositing 100 gold with me, to be stored with the Imperial Moneychanger, or else you will be declared insolvent. You can receive this deposit back on demand, during regular business hours, but once you do, you will either have to leave town or be declared insolvent.

If you're insolvent and wish to remain in town overnight, you must contract with one of the Imperial Guilds in town. Once employed, the Guild will then vouch for your solvency. If you are unable to come to an agreement with any other Guild, the Laborers Guild takes all comers.

At this point, anyone who wants to proceed on their own business can make their deposit and be free to go. Those who wish to learn more about Guild opportunities in White River can remain."

A few men are obvious veterans of this process, quickly queuing up with small sacks of jingling coin at the ready.

What now?
 

Hituro

Eager Critmouse
Validated User
Vorodos tugs his coat a little tighter around his shoulders — it's clearly not adequate for even the tail ends of winter this far north — and then gestures his retinue forward, stepping up to take his turn with only the sketchiest of deference to the others waiting.

"I have my money here," he says to the scribe, "and also retainers. Do I need to deposit separately for each?"

If the answer is yes, Vorodos hands over the 400g expected, probably in the form of gems, if the man will take them, otherwise coins

"Come Mordig, Lanta, Teros, let us get out of this cold!"

The pure white raven perched on Vorodos' shoulder eyes the scribe with one black eye, but says nothing else.

OOC: Did we all get to know each other to some extent on the boat?
 

Safid

Registered User
Validated User
Hiram, Cleric

Hiram immediately sees to his mount as he steps off the ship, making sure the horse is in good health before allowing it to be lead to the Bloody Mary. He paws through the pouch at his belt for sufficient coin to pay the town's bond.

Hiram questions the clerk further. "As you can see, we've got coin. But what sort of guilds are present, especially the building trades? I'm curious about the work they need. Are they the governing body of White River?"

He claps Vorodos on the shoulder. "Perhaps we ought to see what the townsfolk are talking about in the taverns. Get our bearings, eh?"
 

Hituro

Eager Critmouse
Validated User
Vorodos, Fighter

Vorodos winces slightly as the cleric gets over-familiar. "Yes, get warm at the very least!"

He directs his followers to gather up all the equipment, make sure it is on the horses, and lead the way to the tavern. Anyone watching will see that, despite his noble bearing, he does his share.

He also doesn't seem inclined to wait for the others, heading into town as soon as Hiram is ready.
 

Medley

Asking for it
Banned
Validated User
Doriac, Rogue

Taking one last look at the ship that had carried them the past two weeks, Doriac feels an emotion well up in his chest. "I suppose I've finally left the Empire's good graces," he mutters, taking the obvious joke. Then he makes a rude gesture with both hands. "Good feckin riddance."

Doriac goes through the processing, leaving a gem worth 100 gold here to demonstrate his "solvency", and chafing to know that even here the Empire's law had its claws. Afterwards, Doriac makes his first priority checking on his horses, brushing off the stevedores that were to take them away to the Bloody Mary. Tied to a nearby post are Mistletoe, his warhorse and constant companion, and another riding horse he had picked up right before being shipped off. "There, there, Mistletoe, that's a good girl. I'm sure that time below-decks wasn't easy. Don't worry, I'll get you sorted out for a run soon as I can," he coos, brushing the courser's back. Then he turns to the other horse, a gelded rouncey, and brushes his back as well. He's somewhat less well-conditioned compared to Mistletoe, Doriac notes. "And I've got to come up with a name for you. In due time." He fixes bridle and saddle to them, loads his equipment, and mounts Mistletoe, ponying the other horse behind with a rope attached to the bridle.

As he returns to where the other exiles have gathered around to ask the scribe questions, he sees Vorodos and his retinue already preparing to leave. "I see m'lord is as hasty as ever, and overmuch so," he calls over, chuckling. Then he rides alongside and says more softly, "It could serve you to learn something about the place you wish to make your new domain. Stay awhile."

Afterwards, he turns to the scribe and says to him, "And if I left White River, where might I go? Where are the borders and what lies beyond?"
 
Last edited:

thirdkingdom

Member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sury Geles

Upon his turn Geles taps his throat with two fingers, indicating both the scar left by a hangman's noose and the fact that he is mute, and hands over a bag of gold. His companions hear his voice in their minds as he turns away from the scribe. <"Yes, let's head for the tavern, get settled in, and plan out next move."
 

Hituro

Eager Critmouse
Validated User
Vorodos

Vorodos hesitates at the sound of Doriac's reprimand, and turns around again, shivering as the river wind takes the opportunity to slip up the front of his open robe and reach his flesh.

"Doriac, Geles, forgive me, I didn't mean to run off on you, I'm just eager to be out of the wind." He turns away again for a few moments to tell Mordig to take the others on ahead, and then steps back to where Doriac is busy with his horse. Nix spreads his wings, and looks like he is about to take off, but then settles down, sunk into the folds of Vorodos' hood.

"How is Mistletoe?" he asks politely. "Glad to be back on land?"
 

Medley

Asking for it
Banned
Validated User
Doriac

"I'm sure she is, m'lord," Doriac says, rubbing Mistletoe's side. The mare gives a whinny. "Be better once we can come to a trot. Getting out of the wind is fine, but what she and I well need now is a good stretch. Two weeks in a cramped hold was no place for either of us." He looks back at the riding horse ponied behind Mistletoe, pawing gently at the frosted ground. "But if m'lord wishes it, I would offer the use of the gelding there as cover from the wind. A horse is a hardy creature and won't mind at all, and he ought get used to having other people around him anyway."
 

Hituro

Eager Critmouse
Validated User
Vorodos

Vorodos gets a rueful expression. "Doriac, I'm no Lord, not right now. Trust me, Vorodil will rise again, It has been prophesied, but it may be ... some while. In the meantime I'll trust to my bow and my companions to turn the Empire's spite into something that benefits us again. You and I, we are comrades in arms now, not master and man."

He heads over to take the gelding's bridle. "Come, we could both do with getting into shelter, and I know Geles and Hiram won't be waiting while you enjoy the breeze. We can always take a walk around town after we are settled if you fancy?"
 
Top Bottom