IC All Exiles Say They Were Kings

Safid

Validated User
Hiram

“Weregild for your losses if we come to an accord. We’re looking to map the area and find some opportunities. I have a lead west, towards a mountain near the marsh. It’s honest work. Is that what you want, or do you prefer a life of banditry?”

sulldawga

Validated User
The leader waves his hand around.

"This is all of my crew, plus the goat herder, of course. I suspect he hates those damn goats as much as I do. They're good with bows, and tough. One or two of them, I might trust with scouting. They know this area quite well, at least.

As for me, I've a bit of the acting life in my past. Good with costumes that turn into disguises. Bit of a way with words, if I do say so myself. And I know how to use a blade.

We're not hauling gear or pitching any other tents but our own. We will fight but we expect our share when the fight's over."

The man finishes with a deep theatrical bow.

OOC: See the OOC thread for more details on the bandits.

Safid

Validated User
Hiram

Hiram extends his hand to shake. "What do we call you?" He produces fifty golden coins from his belt pouch for the weregild, to be distributed as the gang sees fit. "I thought the herder might be part of your gang. What do you know of the lands to the west of here, along the river and toward the mountains?"

sulldawga

Validated User
"I am Engel. The lads here are Mag, Ell, Ursel, and Lucky. Our herder is Jonat."

The party notices that Jonat, the goat herder, has returned and he's carrying a large sheet. He lays the sheet out, rolls the dead bandit onto it, and begins to strip his armor off.

"If you'll excuse us a minute, Jonat is giving our fallen mate the proper respect and we should join him. The group walks over and circles around Jonat and the dead man. They all bow their heads and Engel says a few words in a low voice. Then Jonat wraps up the body while the others walk off in different directions.

Engel walks back over. "Thank you for giving us that time to say our goodbyes to our friend. Back to the mud with him. Anyway, the lads are going to get their horses. What were we talking about? Oh yes, gold."

Engel shakes Hiram's hand and takes the proffered gold.

"We don't go west past the hills. There are lizard men that come out of the swamps and destroy any settlements that get too close to their lands. Don't know anything about the mountains but I've seen some damn big birds flying around up there, by the Maker. We, uh, don't go west all that often. What is it that you think you're going to find, again?"

Safid

Validated User
Hiram

Hiram chuckles. "I'm not sure, but I've been asked to explore that way. In the interim, we could use other places to explore -- places that haven't been looted to shit. Maybe the lizard men is just the thing. Know anyone who has lore about these lands?"

Hiram beckons Sury and Vorodos over. "We should plan our next move. I think we take the carts back to get our payment. Do we want to try to explore west after that? Or try to pin down a more definite source of income first? Gods only know who could give us some better leads."

Hituro

Eager Critmouse
Validated User
Vorodos

"I think I'm done with begging for work for a few days at least. Lets take back the carts, stock up on food, and head away from these slavers' guilds."

thirdkingdom

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Vorodos

"I think I'm done with begging for work for a few days at least. Lets take back the carts, stock up on food, and head away from these slavers' guilds."
Sury Geles

Sury nods his approval at this plan, and approaches Engel. He touches his hand to the scar on his throat, and then reaches out with his mind to the bandit. "<I am called Sury Geles. If you are willing I would have you serve me. You have a honeyed tongue, and you could speak for me when I cannot.>"

sulldawga

Validated User
Engel is startled by the sound of Sury's voice inside his own head but soon a sly smile appears on his face.

He stares at Sury for a few moments, silently concentrating, and then says, "It only works one way? You can't hear my thoughts? Regardless, I am quite intrigued. Yes, I'll take orders from you."

sulldawga

Validated User
Engel says, "We salvaged two wagons from this train. The supplies on them are all gone but you can have them back. We cannot go to Coopertown with you, as we're all wanted men in Imperial territory. Where might we meet you once your business is done?"

He then frowns and says, "We should get moving quickly. I don't think the old man will have any trouble with us joining you, as long as we're not trying to profit from his territory, but I'd rather not stick around to find out."

Hituro

Eager Critmouse
Validated User
Vorodos

"Then lets be to it!"

Vorodos will try and organise the recovery of the intact wagons. If it looks possible to get the broken cart moving in an hour he'll suggest doing that too. Then the party (Sury, Hiram, Vorodos, Teros, Lanta and Mordig at least) will accompany the carts back to Coopertown to get their reward. When they get there he plans to advise Lanta and Mordig to remain in town until they return.

Part of him is eager, filled with the hope that these new followers — uncertain as they are — will be the first steps to regaining what was lost. Then he remembers, he already had a kingdom much greater, and it was destroyed overnight. What was, will be again, he always tells himself, but so it is for failure as well as success. Even now, the seeds of doom are surely laid.

Overcome by melancholy he rides in silence.

Top Bottom