• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

All Purpose Genesys Thread

Reynard

Validated User
I recently picked up Genesys and imagine I am going to have lots of questions and am going to want some input on stuff, so I figured an all purpose thread would be useful for myself and anyone else exploring the game.

My first question is pretty straight forward: how many players does the game support well? Can you have a 6 player party going on adventures or is 3 or 4 better? Does genre matter in this regard?

Witchstar

Witchy Woman
Validated User
Oh! I’ve also been wondering if it would be a good game for players who have never played an RPG before, with a GM who hasn’t run a game in many years.

CitizenKeen

Rules Lawyer
Validated User
The game can do 3-6 players just fine, with the same caveats as most other games (3 players requires you to be on your game, 6 players means more downtime between turns). It's perfectly fine at those numbers. I can't speak to two, but I think, like any medium-or-higher crunch game, it'd require some home rule massaging to make sure bases are covered.

Regarding new players: It depends on their tolerance for crunch. The custom dice symbols take a session or two to get into. I think they're worth it and I love them, but it's not just math. If they've played board games with funny dice, or CCGs, or miniatures, they'll be fine. It might be a bit much for new players with no other geeky pursuits unless they're really motivated, but I probably wouldn't recommend it.

Rusty GM... Maybe. Depends on how much experience you had before that. I'd run a combat by yourself and see if you can follow it. Make sure you print out a fair number of handouts.

Reynard

Validated User
I wonder if there is any chance of FFG opening up Genesys to a "DMsGuild" style marketplace. It seems like a universal system with limited official support would be perfect for it.

jacobkosh

Validated User
I've run Genesys with six people and it went fine. Rolling is a major source of downtime in games; figuring out if the character can do something, what kind of roll it is, what number they need to hit, etc, each of those steps is a negotiation between player and GM and a chance for the game to drag. Genesys packs a lot of information into each roll - along with success and failure there are a ton of possible modifiers that can completely change the tenor of a scene or send the plot off in an entire new direction - so as a GM you can speed a game up by treating rolls almost as scene resolution rather than task resolution. Instead of playing out the blow-by-blow of unlocking a door or hacking a computer or defusing a bomb, just let the player roll once, interpret the results liberally, and move on to the next scene. The dice will almost certainly give you more to work with than just binary pass/fail.

On the lower end, Genesys is still a skill-based point-buy game, so if you find your players struggling with big gaps in their setups or things that they just broadly aren't able to do and it's getting in the way of the game, just award more XP, maybe with the understanding that they will use it to pick up new skills and talents rather than improving the ones they already have.

jacobkosh

Validated User
Oh! I’ve also been wondering if it would be a good game for players who have never played an RPG before, with a GM who hasn’t run a game in many years.
Honestly, it's impossible to say. I love Genesys to death, and FFG Star Wars is my favorite RPG ever, but it purely depends on who you're playing with. The most important factor in the success of a Genesys game is whether the players are the sort of people who get really into what's going on and lean forward excitedly and share their ideas with each other, versus just sitting there passively waiting for the GM to tell them what to do. The most important sentence to judge whether someone would be a good Genesys player is if they tend to say "Wouldn't it be cool if...", because what Genesys does is give players and GMs who have fun ideas on the fly a procedure to make those ideas happen in the game.

I will say that new players will definitely find the dice less of a hangup than some older players do, and they might have fewer hangups about how RPGs are "supposed" to be played, but that's pretty small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. What really matters for a Genesys group is inventiveness and a certain level of comfort with improvisation, which some people will have and others won't.

Witchstar

Witchy Woman
Validated User
Hmm...sounds like it might be better if I picked a different game and consider Genesys again in the future. The improvisation aspect of it is a big question mark. I don't know how the people I'm thinking about introducing to RPGs would take to it, and I don't know how comfortable I'd feel as a GM because I haven't run or played in a game in years. I'd want to do the best I can to make sure it's a fun experience for everyone, so something maybe more traditional would be a better choice for me.

But Genesys does look really neat. Maybe I can find a game to join somewhere...

Reynard

Validated User
I am planning my first foray to be a Uncharted style adventure. the PCs will all be members of a former CIA/SpecOps team (plus their interpreter and/or an embedded war correspondent) that was active in the Middle East a few years ago. During a mission they discovered the a pass leading to what appears to be a "lost city of gold" type location. (I will probably run a firefight with Russian backed opium dealers or whatever as a introduction to the game system.) In the present day, they have returned to the war ravaged nation to make their fortune. There will be bad guys with guns, a few strange aquifer based puzzles, and of course a big supernatural reveal that more or may not actually be supernatural.

Based on the above idea, what should I watch out for? Should I make characters better than starting heroes? How deadly is combat with firearms? How many encounters or scenes can we expect to get through in a four-ish hour session?

Thanks.

Top Bottom