• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

All Purpose Genesys Thread

Hammel

Validated User
So I have a number of questions about New Angeles and the Android setting after reading much of Beanstalk, but have forgotten most of them. But a couple things I thought of:

1) So the city is multi-layered and multi-leveled? The front cover and text suggests as much. Isn't it possible to just sort of...accidentally fall off to the Undercity below? I mean, especially if they're focused on their PAD. I'm picturing there may be drones that catch people who fall.

2) How is the Undercity built? The text mentions there are crumbling old buildings at the Undercity level...do said buildings serve as the foundations that support the city above?

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So I have a number of questions about New Angeles and the Android setting after reading much of Beanstalk, but have forgotten most of them. But a couple things I thought of:

1) So the city is multi-layered and multi-leveled? The front cover and text suggests as much. Isn't it possible to just sort of...accidentally fall off to the Undercity below? I mean, especially if they're focused on their PAD. I'm picturing there may be drones that catch people who fall.

2) How is the Undercity built? The text mentions there are crumbling old buildings at the Undercity level...do said buildings serve as the foundations that support the city above?
One presumes there are railings, much as there are on modern-day bridges, balconies, etc.

This depends on what degree of architectural accuracy you want, and what degree of property law complications you want. The question I would answer is, why did the builders not just bulldoze whatever is on teh bottom level, and build the NEW structure all the way from bottom to top? I dunno, they didn't want to for some reason.

Anyway, some old concrete apartment building is not structurally sound enough to support a hundred stories of luxury condos on top of it. So that isn't happening. There are probably heavy structural pylons driven way down into the bedrock that support the upper levels. Those pylons may be driven straight through things on the lower levels like streets, thoroughfares, other buildings that weren't torn down all the way, and they might have things in them like elevators, conduits for power, water, sewage, air, etc.

So the lower levels are actually going to be excitingly organic places, where people whose power got cut off by careless development have raised a forest of solar panels, or where other people are tapping illegally into water mains, or people squatting in perfectly sound old buildings that are right under a high-rise upper-level development, and may be kicked out by private security forces any day.

There's a book that everyone should read called Seeing Like a State, and it is fantastic. Actually I shouldn't recommend it so thoroughly. I'm considered to be a rather smart dude, and I can just barely follow it. Anyway, the upper levels will be these ultra-planned (maybe with AI assistance) modular communities where everything is just as the planners thought it should be. The lower levels are full of accidents and improvizations and adaptations. Compromises with the shape of a world that they no longer have control over.

Fun!

Hammel

Validated User
Thanks for the ideas! I don't think the cover picture of the elevated walkways show a railing, though, unless I missed it. Maybe they're there, just transparent for aesthetic, and get activated when someone bumps up against it?

Oh yah and Pokemon. I can't really do odds well, but how would you feel if Effective attacks gained three boost die and Super Effective attacks gained six boost die? Is it a bit much? Is there some other mechanic in Genesys that would be ideal to model attack and type effectiveness?

Hammel

Validated User
In an opposed check that results in One Success, Three Advantage, Three Threat is that simply one success? Do only excess Threats over Advantage result in a negative consequence or complication, or does the fact that Threat was rolled at all mean there was a consequence or complication even though there was a success?

Top Bottom