• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

OOC All That Glitters Is Red (Vampire: Blood and Smoke)

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Welcome to the OOC thread for All That Glitters Is Red, a game of Vampire: Blood and Smoke set in modern day Edinburgh, Scotland that will begin on September 1st. This game has three players:

[MENTION=161993]Pheidias[/MENTION], playing Elaine Coventry/Allen Grey, Mekhet Mnemosyne investigator
[MENTION=164870]CatNosferatu[/MENTION], playing Elsie Hudson, Daeva Duchagne agent of the Prince
[MENTION=754]smilingbandit2[/MENTION], playing Dr. Antoine LaChance, Daeva Salubri doctor

An interesting variety of characters to be sure. This thread will be used for all out of character discussions, rules questions, and everything else of that nature. Suggested posting rate is daily, but by no means enforced. This is anticipated to be a medium-length game, potentially long if the PCs indulge in various side pursuits. It is a open-world sandbox setting: players are free to go where they want and do as they will, with the knowledge of course that every action has consequences, for good or ill. There is a plot naturally, but it will resolve organically as a result of the players' actions and intentions, not placed on rails. Below you'll find a quick synopsis of the intended game.

We used to be powerful. Great. Unmoved. The Kindred ruled the night and all within it - over a hundred of us feeding, fighting, backstabbing. It was a monster's paradise.

Well, at least it was.

Then the Night of Ashes happened. December 21, 2017... an evening that we've all tried desperately to forget and the Crimson Court has attempted to suppress all knowledge, memory, or mention of. On that night, the Strix attacked out of nowhere. An entire Parliament of Owls descended shrieking from the darkness and proceeded to slaughter us, killing so many of our kind the air itself became thick, clogged with bone dust and ash. We barely survived, and now less than thirty of us remain from the seven score that once walked the night.

And now, a year later with all the chaos, grief, and paranoia that followed... the Owls are moving again. Just whispers in the dark, feathers on the ground, a shining flash of yellow peering out.

Something is coming.

And we may not survive a second time.

IC Thread

Wiki

Last edited:

CatNosferatu

Validated User
I am so excited! This is my first time as a PC Daeva, so it's a bit out of my normal comfort zone. But the wheels are already turning in my head, and I am looking forward to playing in this new game with all of you!

Last edited:

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I am so pumped! This is my first time as a PC Daeva, so it's a bit out of my normal comfort zone. But the wheels are already turning in my head, and I am looking forward to playing in this new game with all of you!
And so it begins. Yeah! I've been looking forward to this.
Glad you two are hyped! Just waiting on [MENTION=754]smilingbandit2[/MENTION] to chime in now.

smilingbandit2

The man of the future! The Machine-Man!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Glad you two are hyped! Just waiting on [MENTION=754]smilingbandit2[/MENTION] to chime in now.
Sorry, sorry, I'm here! :)

I'm ready to play...but I do have one last question about chargen. Is Blood Potency upgrading? It seems a little...underwhelming for the experience cost, but I worry that I'm min-maxing by having lots of kewl powers but not the BP to reflect it. I do realize that it goes up and down over time, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something about it.

CatNosferatu

Validated User
I have questions too, but will start with just one. Are you using Humanity, [MENTION=151691]Pandorym[/MENTION]?

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sorry, sorry, I'm here! :)

I'm ready to play...but I do have one last question about chargen. Is Blood Potency upgrading? It seems a little...underwhelming for the experience cost, but I worry that I'm min-maxing by having lots of kewl powers but not the BP to reflect it. I do realize that it goes up and down over time, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something about it.
IIRC, Blood Potency only upgrades once every 50 years, so if you want to start with a higher Blood Potency, you'll need to spend Merit dots/XP to do it. Of course that doesn't inhibit you from doing so during play. Now if your Kindred has been around awhile and has a low BP, that's likely due to taking the occasional torpor nap or some other extenuating circumstance - all easily justifiable. Some of the remaining elder vampires in the city currently have a low BP because they just woke up from various extended naps.

By the way, did you choose a covenant yet?

I have questions too, but will start with just one. Are you using Humanity, [MENTION=151691]Pandorym[/MENTION]?
No. I'm not terribly fond of the Humanity system, for various reasons. We'll instead be using the Atrocity Dice system described in Danse Macabre. I can provide a short overview of it if you like.

smilingbandit2

RPGnet Member
Validated User
A question for the group:

I'm trying to decide between the Carthians and the Ordo for my affiliation. My preference at the moment is Ordo, because A - it adds more variety to the group and B - I'm interested in the "better living through Unholy Science" angle.

However, none of the published Mysteries (1st or 2nd edition, core or expansion) are really ringing my bell. Doctor LaChance (in his Ordo form) is trying to transcend the curse and retain his humanity through service. Rather than being a selfish parasite, he's strives to be a symbiote, strengthening those on which he feeds. I'm trying to develop some coils and scales that reflect such a change. Any thoughts?

Edit: Crosspost with [MENTION=151691]Pandorym[/MENTION]. So, no, I'm down to those two still. The Carthians reflect my own political beliefs, so they're easier to roleplaying, and they have some interesting abilities. The Ordo is the more interesting choice, but I cannot find a mystery that suits the character, and I haven't some up with a custom one beyond some names. "The Mystery of the Symbiote" (giving advantages/reducing penalties on people he feeds from) and "The Mystery of the Vitae" (Making feeding easier/more efficient) both come to mind, but I have no head for Vampire, so making actual powers is eluding me.

Nevertheless, I'll have something ready by tonight.

Last edited:

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
A question for the group:

I'm trying to decide between the Carthians and the Ordo for my affiliation. My preference at the moment is Ordo, because A - it adds more variety to the group and B - I'm interested in the "better living through Unholy Science" angle.

However, none of the published Mysteries (1st or 2nd edition, core or expansion) are really ringing my bell. Doctor LaChance (in his Ordo form) is trying to transcend the curse and retain his humanity through service. Rather than being a selfish parasite, he's strives to be a symbiote, strengthening those on which he feeds. I'm trying to develop some coils and scales that reflect such a change. Any thoughts?

Edit: Crosspost with [MENTION=151691]Pandorym[/MENTION]. So, no, I'm down to those two still. The Carthians reflect my own political beliefs, so they're easier to roleplaying, and they have some interesting abilities. The Ordo is the more interesting choice, but I cannot find a mystery that suits the character, and I haven't some up with a custom one beyond some names. "The Mystery of the Symbiote" (giving advantages/reducing penalties on people he feeds from) and "The Mystery of the Vitae" (Making feeding easier/more efficient) both come to mind, but I have no head for Vampire, so making actual powers is eluding me.

Nevertheless, I'll have something ready by tonight.
Take your time, it's no big deal. I would rather you not have to invent an entirely new Coil off the top of your head, so I'd recommend either the Coil of the Voivode or the Coil of Ziva and then making custom Scales based off their enhancements instead - seems like it would be easier on you.

smilingbandit2

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Take your time, it's no big deal. I would rather you not have to invent an entirely new Coil off the top of your head, so I'd recommend either the Coil of the Voivode or the Coil of Ziva and then making custom Scales based off their enhancements instead - seems like it would be easier on you.
...Honestly, they all kind of suck.

The most useful one IMO, Mystery of the Wyrm, doesn't exist in our game.

Ascendant is useful and morally harmless, but seems like a sideshow.

Voivoide is almost exactly the opposite of LaChance's beliefs (and honestly the whole 'blood addiction and viniculum' rules are one of the most uncomfortable things about a game that I already find uncomfortable. It's all way too close to sexual violence for me.)

Zirnitra just means I have more choices to make about merits. I have enough on my plate as it is. :)

Ziva is useful for retaining one's humanity I suppose, and the fifth level power is wild, but it's also very boring. Also, it's canonically heretical. I'm sure you'd make allowances if I took that path, but I sort of get the Ordo argument of "We're trying to transcend the curse, not just get rid of it."

Top Bottom