All-wizard parties [D&D/d20]

DavetheLost

Validated User
If D&D is all about combat, and an all spell-caster is party is going to have trouble in combat, why are you playing an all spell-caster in D&D? Sure this is as much using the wrong tool as trying to run a campaign with less combat then.

vitruvian

Validated User
If D&D is all about combat, and an all spell-caster is party is going to have trouble in combat, why are you playing an all spell-caster in D&D? Sure this is as much using the wrong tool as trying to run a campaign with less combat then.
Did anyone say all combat? However, combat is likely to come up at some point, and when it does, yes, may be of some potential concern because spellcasting classes are defined differently than martial classes, with less AC, HP, etc. Which is why people have been making suggestions as to how such a party could nevertheless be survivable and viable when a fight breaks out, as well as how they could make sure to have the right mix of social skills for court, and other such matters.

vitruvian

Validated User
Right, so the interesting thing is to keep wizards squishy or squishy-ish and work on combat avoidance, like scrying ahead of a trail to avoid highway robbers. (This is literally in my homebrew for which I'm looking for feedback - divination lets you do that.)
It's also interesting to figure out what your tactics are going to be for if and when you can't avoid a combat situation. Familiars flying into faces and crawling up trouser legs to give you advantage on spell attacks are a start, but I'm sure there are other plans that could be concocted.

But in the context of this thread, since it's in the D&D/D20 forum, if your spellcasters are going to start out at low level, they're only going to have a few spells, and only off the D&D spell list for their class (which I note doesn't really have a whole lot of scrying options available - presumably different in your homebrew), so their options will be based off that and they'll need to lean on other skills, strengths, and capabilities a good bit. Like I said before, they may well not wish to do the usual min-max thing with their spellcasting ability, if other abilities like Charisma might help them more while starting out.

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
Seems like what a high INT person with limited spell slots would do is hire some henchmen meat shields.

Alon

Validated User
It's also interesting to figure out what your tactics are going to be for if and when you can't avoid a combat situation. Familiars flying into faces and crawling up trouser legs to give you advantage on spell attacks are a start, but I'm sure there are other plans that could be concocted.

But in the context of this thread, since it's in the D&D/D20 forum, if your spellcasters are going to start out at low level, they're only going to have a few spells, and only off the D&D spell list for their class (which I note doesn't really have a whole lot of scrying options available - presumably different in your homebrew), so their options will be based off that and they'll need to lean on other skills, strengths, and capabilities a good bit. Like I said before, they may well not wish to do the usual min-max thing with their spellcasting ability, if other abilities like Charisma might help them more while starting out.
I forget, what level do you need to be to be able to scry-scout in 5e?

vitruvian

Validated User
I forget, what level do you need to be to be able to scry-scout in 5e?
The earliest spell that seems useful for scouting ahead of you on a road, up to a mile, seems to be Clairvoyance. It's a 3rd level spell, so you would need to be 5th level to get it. It's a fixed point, up to a mile away, either some place you've visited or seen or an 'obvious' location; if DMing I'd probably rule that 'a mile ahead of us on this road' is pretty obvious and so a valid target. Of course, you'd risk missing seeing stuff in between that and your current position, so it's hardly ideal for scouting ahead along a whole path. At 7th level, you can get the 4th level spell Arcane Eye, which is mobile but pretty slow - you could scout up to an hour's worth of travel ahead due to the spell's duration, but doing that would slow you down a lot, perhaps you could post it about 300-600 feet ahead of the party and still be on the move.

Alon

Validated User
Yeah, fair, and I guess level 3 and 4 spells are precisely the point where wizards stop being underpowered in combat anyway.

TheGrog

Validated User
There are a variety of divination spells that could also help, but much like illusions the usefulness of divination spells like augry, commune, and the divination spell itself depends heavily on how much the GM is willing to play along. An uncooperative GM can spike the results while playing along with the letter of the rules.

vitruvian

Validated User
There are a variety of divination spells that could also help, but much like illusions the usefulness of divination spells like augry, commune, and the divination spell itself depends heavily on how much the GM is willing to play along. An uncooperative GM can spike the results while playing along with the letter of the rules.
A lot of those aren't available to wizards (except a few if you take the UA Theurgy specialization), though, and they're very nerfable question-asking exercises rather than scrying per se. That's if we're saying wizards only, literally. But if we're including clerics as well, there is much less concern about whether you have anyone around who can mix it up in melee if necessary, so you don't need to avoid as many encounters.

Top Bottom