• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

All-wizard parties [D&D/d20]

DavetheLost

Validated User
Definitely if one includes clerics (and druids) in a "spell casters" party their combat ability increases dramatically. A party of low level spell casters is going to have to be very cautious about combat, but then again, a party of low level anybody should be cautious about combat.

I would think if the definition of the party was "all spell casters" that clerics would be included. Indeed at higher levels bards, rangers, and paladins can be added to the list as well. That is without multi-classing which can turn anybody into a spell caster.

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
Why higher levels for bards?

Does 5e give wizards useful familiars? Bird scout is great but only if you can communicate.

vitruvian

Validated User
Definitely if one includes clerics (and druids) in a "spell casters" party their combat ability increases dramatically. A party of low level spell casters is going to have to be very cautious about combat, but then again, a party of low level anybody should be cautious about combat.

I would think if the definition of the party was "all spell casters" that clerics would be included. Indeed at higher levels bards, rangers, and paladins can be added to the list as well. That is without multi-classing which can turn anybody into a spell caster.
Absolutely, and several posts have been about if it's a broader range of spellcasters. Still, look at the title of the thread...

Why higher levels for bards?

Does 5e give wizards useful familiars? Bird scout is great but only if you can communicate.
5e familiars are supremely useful. Innate communication, Help, dismiss/resummon.

EvilSchemer

Well, I never!
Validated User
Back in 4E times, we often thought about a party of all Arcane classes. There was enough diversity in Arcane classes that you could have all the roles covered.

Class Role
Warlock Striker
Wizard Controller
Bard Leader
Sorcerer Striker
Artificer Leader
Swordmage Defender

Our idea was to run a Fairy Tail anime style campaign where all adventurers were wizards.

manwhat

Thoroughly mediocre GM.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The owl familiar is notably the best in most situations, particularly if you have an ally who's frequently in melee - familiars can use the 'Help' action to grant advantage on an attack, and owls have the 'flyby' special ability that makes them not trigger opportunity attacks with their movement. Combat ranges are generally short enough that the owl can move into melee, Help, then move back to somewhere safe with impunity.

vitruvian

Validated User
The owl familiar is notably the best in most situations, particularly if you have an ally who's frequently in melee - familiars can use the 'Help' action to grant advantage on an attack, and owls have the 'flyby' special ability that makes them not trigger opportunity attacks with their movement. Combat ranges are generally short enough that the owl can move into melee, Help, then move back to somewhere safe with impunity.
It doesn't have to be melee, either... the creature using the 'Help' action has to be within 5 ft of the target, but not anywhere near the character they are granting advantage on the next attack, so it can work for ranged attacks as well. The ideal use for this is of course to grant a Rogue advantage and allow them to deal their Sneak Attack damage, but it should work for the wizard themselves or one of their wizard friends to at least increase the odds of hitting a great deal.

Deliverator

Belongs to an elite order
Validated User
I've run an all-wizards campaign, though we started with a PF hack and switched to 5E halfway through. I definitely want to try running it again in 5E from the get-go, and see what happens. I think it'll work fine, though, from the evidence available to me.

I think the way I'd make them survivable at low level is simply through clever character builds. Now, 1st level is especially tough, since they don't have their specializations yet, and you also can't (by RAW) take advantage of tricks like having a Mountain Dwarf Wizard in half-plate or whatever. So, the 1st level scenario is going to have be very carefully designed to allow for careful problem-solving, "kiting" any must-be-fought enemies, etc.

But once you get to 2nd level, let's imagine the following:

Elf (or other high-Dex race) Bladesinger
Mountain Dwarf Abjurer
(Any race) War Wizard

Boom, there's your front line. Add other specializations to taste.

Save-vs-DM

Knight of Stumptown
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think you could do it in 5e, but I'd really suggest starting them at 2nd or 3rd level. At least 2nd, so they get specializations and everyone isn't all samey.

High/Wood Elf Bladesinger/Outlander: Off-tank and your survival expert/scout. Hawk familiar.
Hill Dwarf/Hobgoblin Abjurer/Soldier: Your main tank and the guy who deals with weapons and intimidation. Drives the cart. Badger familiar.
Half-Elf Enchanter/Noble: The face of the party and "troubleshooter." Specializes in charming enemies to serve as "meat shields." Cat familiar.
Forest Gnome/Halfling Illusionist/Criminal. Your "thief" and lock breaker. Handles all the sneaky stuff. Weasel familiar.
Alternate Human Theurge (UA)/Acolyte: He handles all your religious and healing needs. Snags the Healer feat from human and takes the healing domain. Also likely specializes in divination rituals.

I think, provided the party survived to around level 4-5, that they'd do pretty well. Stick them in the city, doing more intrigue/investigation/social stuff for the first 3 levels or so, and they'd be a force to be reckoned with.

Heck, I'd run this game.

Top Bottom