All-wizard parties [homebrews]

Xander

Validated User
I'm still surprised no one has published a major Harry Potter RPG.

Character differentiation would be a challenge, if you have students in the same year who should be at the same level of magic proficiency.

Hermione could be a high-INT wizard, with the biggest spell list and a Muggle-born drawback. Ron is the least magically proficient, but for game balance he might have the best physical skills and a Wizarding background and family connections. Harry could have high Willpower and/or Endurance (from nearly being killed many times) plus a Curse.

Greg 1

Some Guy
Validated User
The really popular ones that I know of are Mage and Ars Magica. The background for Mage the Ascension seems more popular than the background for Mage the Awakening, while the rules in Awakening seem more popular.

Personally, for a free-form magic game like Ars Magica or Mage, I would use GURPS Thaumatology.

I love the idea of all-mage parties. I don't know if you are interested in what folks have done with their homebrews, but I've written up two entirely different settings for all-mage parties.

The Gift
https://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/The_Gift:Main_Page

Lineage
https://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Lineage:Main_Page

- Is there differentiation between different types of casters, like clerics/wizards/druids, or Ars Magica's different magic schools? If so, is it also bundled with other things, like outlook on life or other skills?
To me, the different appraoches to magic, not simply in what you can do with it, but how you understand it, what you think you should do with it, and what you think it shows about the universe, is where a part of wizards gets interesting. You don't need splats for that, but once you've got splats, you've got mage politics.

The Gift has 31 splats, 19 of which are allied, though the alliance is divided by splat into four competing camps.

Lineage has 29 splats, divided between two warring camps of 17 splats vs 12 splats.

- What kind of stories does the system aim to tell? Is it the same kind of quest fantasy as D&D, or the sort of recurring-villain season arcs of Fate, or the school story of Harry Potter, or something else?
Both of my worlds should accomodate any of those stories. (I think that's true of popular settings like Ars Magic and Mage too).

- What kind of game world does the system aim at? D&D and Ars Magica are de facto hybrid of High and Late Medieval aesthetics and Early Modern game world size, Fate's core skillset is optimized for modern settings, Call of Cthulhu is Call of Cthulhu, etc. Does an all-wizard system aim at de jure medieval, de facto Early Modern settings, or modern urban fantasy, or Early Medieval Arthuriana, or what?
I usually, though not always, run all-wizard parties in modern times. Everything else being equal, magic feels most magical against a background that feels real.

Lukas Sjöström

Society of Unity scholar
Validated User
Playing an all-sorcerer party in Travellers on a Red Road (see link in signature) would be quite workable. Any character could add a few points to Rites and take the Sorcerer secret, so you'd theoretically be able to have a group of sorcerers from different walks of life (although priests, hermits, witches and similar characters would have an advantage). If you expand the definition of "magic-user" to other stuff as well, you can have even more variation: skinchangers, beast-talkers, and other users of minor magic would also fit, and any character can use folk magic, ranging from desperate invocations to the spirits to amulet-making and healing rituals. Here is a bit more information on magic.

Top Bottom