• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Alternatives to DriveThruRPG

Metruis

Validated User
What about amazon?
You could try selling through Createspace, but it's more focused towards Kindle books / novel sized books so I'm not sure you'd quite intersect your desired target audience. It's not where I'd go to look for RPG modules, assuming that's what you make.

Malrex

Validated User
How big is the market on itch compared to DriveThru? Is it worth losing 5% of DriveThru revenue to also list there?
I'm not sure about itch, but having the freedom to post your stuff anywhere and only losing another 5% is worth it to me. I've had decent results on Lulu. Not that great of results on my own store...need to get the advertising/marketing tools down. But I at least enjoy the freedom of being able to set up shop wherever I want.

artikid

passerby
Validated User
BTW publishing via Lulu gives you the tools to sell your stuff at the same time via Amazon and other marketplaces

fheredin

Banned
Validated User
How big is the market on itch compared to DriveThru? Is it worth losing 5% of DriveThru revenue to also list there?
The 5% cut is actually the little cost of going non-exclusive. DriveThru gives publishers PPP to spend to put their products on the front page, and exclusive publishers both get more PPP for being on the site for longer (although you also get PPP for sales, so if you're making sales, the differences is negligible) and priority on the front page. You are much more discoverable if you're exclusive.

But Itch is smaller, so you're more discoverable on it just by being on it.

Exclusivity also limits your business maneuverability. You don't have freedom to appear on other platforms. If you're a hobbyist looking to make a few bucks in the quest to break even, but have no real intents on marketing, Exclusively DTRPG is probably the best way to go. Just spend the extra PPP to get better position. However, if you actually have a marketing plan or want to make a small business (like I do) I would say the reverse is true. You don't have as much freedom to run your own business, and if DriveThru ever shut down you'd be SOL.

Parenthesis Press

parenthesispress.com
Validated User
I want to expand on the benefits of itch.io mentioned above: the site's management is actively interested in courting more tabletop game designers to come to the site, so they're engaged and listening to what we have to say in the forums. They're implementing changes to the site that we ask for, such as now allowing sales of physical product as well as digital. (They don't print on demand, so we have to have physical product already to offer, but for those who do and can, it's a big step forward.)

Top Bottom