• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Amazing Moments in Mediocre Media

SorcererNinja

Ace Valkryie Pilot
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Heh, I actually watched that just last night. I liked the film a fair bit more than you (I am not a film buff, so if the camera-work was poor I didn't notice), but I agree that that scene was the highlight of the film. I am currently trying to work out how to run a one-shot in which I an insert an extra character without anyone noticing - I suspect it is impossible, but if it isn't, and if I can make it work it would be totally worth it.
You could try replicating the situation from the movie by splitting the players into two groups in different physical spaces. Maybe also get one player in on it so they can help you set up the surprise for everyone else.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
You could try replicating the situation from the movie by splitting the players into two groups in different physical spaces. Maybe also get one player in on it so they can help you set up the surprise for everyone else.
Probably better if you have two people on your side, with the implication they are playing the same character (hopefully nobody else realizes this)

pedant

Validated User
Probably better if you have two people on your side, with the implication they are playing the same character (hopefully nobody else realizes this)
So, I do have form for playing around with the line between gaming table and not gaming table (in one-shots with close friends who I believe I have good reason to believe trust me with this sort of thing); stuff like IC messages hidden by the kettle, phone numbers in game to the mobile of a prepped non-playing friend, hiding mini-speakers around the room...

The point at which I feel like planning a game is about to involve a cork board, some pins and a whole lot of red string, is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
In a Call of Cthulhu game I had the party split up, and while I was swapping back and forth between the two groups saying "meanwhile" a lot, they both met the same NPC in the same place at the same time but without the other group being anywhere to be seen. Then after both groups left the area they ran into each other and "realized what had happened" . Of course the players were all in the same room and could hear me interacting with the other group but it was still creepy.

I described the location and the NPC in vague terms at first, so that the second group thought they were encountering a similar situation, and added more and more details throughout the encounter so it gradually became obvious. And with the second group I repeated bits of description verbatim from the first encounter but framed it as if I was saying it for the first time (e.g. emphasizing a dramatic reveal as they drew a gun as if it was a genuine surprise).

Top Bottom