• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Amazing Spide-Man #1] I'm confused

Fred

Surely you jest, Mr Fred
RPGnet Member
Validated User
On the recommendation of a fellow poster here, I read Amazing Spider-Man #1. From the title to the way the story was going, I had the feeling it was going to subvert the original Brand New day, which was odd, because Joe Quesada is still listed as Chief Creative Officer. Since my understanding is that he was the main force behind the BND reboot of Spider-Man, I suspected he would be dead set against it.

At the end, it seemed as if:

Spoiler: Show
Peter was going to ask MJ to marry him, but it kinda fizzled out. There was no "question popping" nor an engagement ring.

That's why I'm confused. It seemed like a bait-and-switch. Can someone illuminate me?

Thanks an tchau!

Last edited:

Bellerophon

Unvincible
Validated User
Pete and MJ haven't even been friends for a while - I think this was them getting back together and beginning Spencer's "long game" of them getting married or at the very least, permanently partnered.

Whether Quesada allows Spencer to marry them or not, this is a huge departure from Slott's looooong run which assured us, thematically, that the two of them just didn't work, and that one of Slott's OC love interests (Carlie, Annamaria) was a better fit.

Does this all make the narrative a bit weird? Definitely. But Spencer is trying for a reset of sorts, and I expect he's hoping to recapture a very 80s take on Spidey.

Last edited:

Menocchio

Eccentric Thousandaire
Validated User
The issue was never "Peter must be never be with MJ". It was "We feel like we've painted ourselves into a corner here, but it would feel out of character if they didn't make the marriage work and we don't want to kill her off". But that was years ago, Peter's had several girlfriends since then (Carly, Felicia, Bobbi), and Miles can is now old enough to do romance plots so Peter doesn't have to play the field. So now going back to MJ feels fresh and adds some real suspense if they're going to make it this time, rather than just being the inevitable reversal. They're only dating again after a long time apart, so it would have been super-impulsive if Peter proposed and I didn't get the sense that they were building up to that.

Anwar2

Validated User
Really, the whole "Peter sold his marriage to save May" thing could've easily been reworked to something less moronic...

...Have MJ be the one shot and Mephisto agrees to heal her in exchange for the marriage. Here it's Peter giving it up to save HER life, figuring her alive and without him is better than her dead.

Fred

Surely you jest, Mr Fred
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Pete and MJ haven't even been friends for a while - I think this was them getting back together and beginning Spencer's "long game" of them getting married or at the very least, permanently partnered.
They're only dating again after a long time apart, so it would have been super-impulsive if Peter proposed and I didn't get the sense that they were building up to that.
I forgot to add context. I haven't followed Marvel (and DC) mainstream in a long while now, only dipping back if I find something interesting, like Spider-verse, so I had no idea Peter and MJ were not even talking to each other.

Maybe that lack of information contributed to my interpretation. Still, calling the story Brand New Day and framing it around changing your life and such seemed like a little baiting.

Tchau!

Spatula

More Ideas Than Time
RPGnet Member
Validated User
They're only dating again after a long time apart, so it would have been super-impulsive if Peter proposed
Heck, the first time he proposed they weren't dating (and had even stated they didn't want to) after a long time out of each other's lives. So if he had proposed here it would have been in keeping with tradition! :)

Winterland

Help, help. I am being repressed
Validated User
MJ still secretly remembers that they were married, right?
My heart says "yes", but its always been complicated.
Mary Jane did whisper something in Mephistos ears before he erased their marriage. After that MJ always acted as if she knew more than she let on.

It was quite possible that what MJ did whisper was that he should let her remember but that if she ever told Pete, the whole deal would be null and void.
Mephisto would of course leap at such a deal since he would get MJs agony and pain as well in the bargain. For all her cheery disposition we as the audience
know that MJ is no stranger to pain and suffering, and such a deal would be in her character. She has her own kind of heroic heart and also wicked smart as well.
Because if Mephisto would ever interfere again, she would now have a hold on him. She would be a mortal who outwitted the devil, John Constantine -style.*

Of course, then came One Moment In Time and screwed it up by trying to explain what happened between One more day and Brand new day by filling in the gaps.

I have never read O.M.I.T so I'll have to go by wikipedia here. But that one has Dr Strange, Tony Stark and Reed Richards cause the mass memory loss of Spidermans
identity instead of Mephisto.
But that can be the "fake" history that Mephisto created. It doesnt keep MJ from still remembering the initial deal. Whatever they retconned in O.M.I.T can again be
re-retconned.

To get Pete and MJ back together they would need to acknowledge the red devil in the corner. But this is MJs story. She would have to trick Mephisto into breaking the deal first.

That would be bad-ass and MJ SHOULD be bad-ass, not the weak characterassassination we've seen these last years. (although shes had her moments. Making the possibility
of her acting out of character being just that, Acting, to keep the facade up in regards to Mephisto)

Kirayoshi

Mrs. Peel, we're needed.
Validated User
At this point, I think Marvel is treating OMD the same way they treat Avengers #200, the issue where Carol Danvers married her mind-controlling boyfriend who was also her son; trying to ignore that it ever happened. Yeah, when Chris "I Never Met a Mind Control Fetish I Didn't Like" Claremont devotes two pages of an issue to explaining why your story is messed up, your story is truly messed up.

I've stated before that my preference would be for Marvel to deal with the fallout of OMD and address the big red brimstone-scented elephant in the room. Not necessarily undo OMD but clarify it, have Peter and MJ deal with the consequences of their actions. The story would end with the two of them having clear memories of the life they gave up. They would simply look at each other and say "Now what?"

Top Bottom