• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Anecdotally, seeing DCC listed more often as OSR, but not so much for Castles and Crusades.

Von Ether

Validated User
I guess the definitions of OSR have broadened in that vague way that things often do over time in creative spheres. And lately, I've seen DCC being name dropped in more OSR conversations, which is perfectly fine for me. I love that gonzo weirdness. I got Purple Planet in PDF and Chained Coffin in a sexy box.

But not so much for Castles and Crusades even though both are more hacked d20 than they are hacked Basic/AD&D/etc. And while C&C came out over 10 years ago (I ran a great two-year campaign of C&C Freeport*), DCC has made a bigger splash and seem to love 3PP support.

I'm just curious if it's just the online circles I've been swimming in, level of popularity/exposure or some OSR benchmark it doesn't reach. Though, technically, C&C being OSR is sort of like Jules Vern being steampunk - a retroactive label.

*The only complaint from my players was the slow level progression, but they would have said that about any OSR system.

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
The label may not have existed then, but Castles & Crusades was ground zero for the start of the OSR. It may have been an acrimonious start, with the people who really kicked off the OSR leaving C&C to go off and found OSRIC etc., but it's still OSR version 0.0.

Though I suspect your observations are based more on branding than anything. Both games have pushed themselves as OSR, but DCC is more popular.

Stone-Tharp

Validated User
What Sleeper said - DCC just has a larger fanbase than C&C, both among folks who see themselves as part of the OSR and within the hobby more broadly

Stacie.Winters1

Banned
Validated User
Between these two I prefer C&C far, far, way more than DCC. C&C is my favorite OSR game not designed by Kevin Crawford.

Alter_Boy

Big Brain Ideas
Validated User
I know that Goodman Games is very proactive in promoting its game. Last year, I know that they had a demo system going on at local stores and conventions similar to what WotC did for D&D 15 years ago. It also helps that they're cross-pollinating their product line with 5ed compatible products.

Novatian

Validated User
Both companies actually do some 5e publications.

In addition to the reasons given above, I would also observe that Goodman Games publishes some undeniably "Old School" products, including Judges Guild reprints and their Original Adventures Reincarnated volumes. That means some of the "foundational" texts for old school gaming are available through them, something Troll Lord Games can't say. In fact I play C&C but not DCC, and Goodman Games is still one of my favorite publishers just for the JG and OAR stuff.

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
That means some of the "foundational" texts for old school gaming are available through them, something Troll Lord Games can't say.
That may be true now, but TLG published Dark Druids by Robert J. Kuntz, the Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds, reprinted Saga of Old City, and even started releasing Castle Zagyg (Greyhawk). I imagine the differences are more based on licensing, business models, and relationships than interest.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Validated User
That may be true now, but TLG published Dark Druids by Robert J. Kuntz, the Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds, reprinted Saga of Old City, and even started releasing Castle Zagyg (Greyhawk). I imagine the differences are more based on licensing, business models, and relationships than interest.
Unfortunately, all of that stuff is in the rearview mirror, through no fault of the Trolls' own, as far as I can tell. And, for someone in 2019, the folks publishing B/X special edition re-releases, Judges Guild, Lankhmar, Appendix N novels and short stories, a new Weird Tales-style magazine, Grimtooth, Metamorphosis Alpha, to say nothing of the late 1970s vibe of Dungeon and Mutant Crawl Classics, Goodman looks to be the current bearer of the flame, and justly so.

I've got nothing against Castles & Crusades -- I ran a converted-from-3E campaign in C&C for many years -- but that's not where their head is at nowadays.

Top Bottom