Animated Series Based on African Mythology?

Sensorium

Retired User
I remember this from many years ago(mid 90s), but I've lost the title and names. It stared the young hero of his community, the chief's daughter and a talking bipedal rabbit spirit who played translator and sidekick. They were sent on a quest to retrieve the parts of a goddess that had been spattered over the land by another angry god. Each episode was another journey to find and return the pieces of their goddess and put them in the shrine so she could be made whole. The items would be symbolic of the parts of the goddess. One episode they needed the tears of a betrothed princes, the next it might be the spins from a rare kind of fish that are protected by the water
spirits.

Male lead wore a red and black tunic thing. Female lead wore purplish two piece dress. Rabbit spirit for yellow and brown, and was actually those colours.

Spoiler:
Spoiler: Show
In the end it is revealed that the two gods are wife and husband, and restoring the goddess will return balance.

It was a very neat little series as I recall and I'd like to find it, but for the life of me I can remember any names and I've tried every google search term variation of "african themed cartoon" I can think of.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

salinea

grievous lack of
Validated User
I think it's a French animated series from the early 90's. I tracked its name back a few months ago and of course now I've again forgotten it, sorry x_x I believe it was based on Dogon mythology, with Water Twin Gods? And the girl shapechanged into a gazelle?

Sensorium

Retired User
I think it's a French animated series from the early 90's. I tracked its name back a few months ago and of course now I've again forgotten it, sorry x_x I believe it was based on Dogon mythology, with Water Twin Gods? And the girl shapechanged into a gazelle?
That's it. I had no idea that it was originally French.

Thanks, that might be enough to let me find it.

Sensorium

Retired User
Kappei and Luk, I believe. Watched it a lot.
After some prolonged googling I think the english title was actually Kasaii & Leuk the Hare, or just Kasaii & Leuk, depending. Originally based on a book it seems.

Thanks to Etrangere again. Even with that info I can find next to nothing, but at least it's not bugging me anymore.

Edit: For those who never saw this show or are nostalgic, I did find one solitary video. It's just second hand voice over introduction, but it shows some of the good stuff.: http://www.dailymotion.pl/video/x97ghj_samba-leuk_shortfilms

Last edited:
Top Bottom