• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Annihilation: It's Pretty Great

Lord Azrael

Wreck N' Rule
Validated User
Caught a showing of Annihilation last night with my wife and some friends and I have to say it was a pretty damn good movie. A bit more horror in it than I expected. Based on the trailer I was expecting a few jump scares, but there was some truly scary stuff in the film. In fact it was probably scarier because it was unexpected. Portman is great, naturally, but I was impressed by the whole cast. It was really neat that there are basically six people in the whole movie and five of them are women. All of the characters were well-acted, believable, and each reacted to the situation in a different and relatable way. Couple that with some incredible visuals and great atmosphere and it makes for a winner in my book.

If you are a fan of sci-fi/horror then I think this is a must-see.

Pyrephox

Sheepish
Validated User
I really want to see this. It looks gorgeous, and I'm always a sucker for action-sci-fi that also has women in the lead role. Also, I'm just interested in the premise; at least from the trailer it sounds very gameable.

An Automaton Adrift

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I didn't really like the book that much, and the trailer makes it look incredibly generic, but the reviews and the fact that it's by Alex Garland make me very excited to see it. I'm glad to hear that it's good :)

Derek

Validated User
Have you read the book? I'm curious how they compare.
I saw the film this afternoon, and the book is one of my favourites from recent years. The movie is very different in many ways from the novel, but manages to nail the mood and the general plot of the book. There were a few things I think I'd have preferred done differently, but they were fairly minor. Over all, I really enjoyed it.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
I didn't really like the book that much, and the trailer makes it look incredibly generic, but the reviews and the fact that it's by Alex Garland make me very excited to see it. I'm glad to hear that it's good :)
He basically took the name and premise and then threw the whole book out. I’ll never understand why people do that.

Menocchio

Eccentric Thousandaire
Validated User
I liked it, but I kind of lost it during the climatic encounter. It was eerie and beautiful but
Spoiler: Show
I just kept thinking about the Marx Brothers. And then I realized it was the puzzle fight from any of several video games where the enemy mirrors you, and the solution is to get it to walk into a pit or spikes or something.

Or into a bomb that you set. Which she did.

Kind of broke my immersion.

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Have you read the book? I'm curious how they compare.
They have almost nothing to do with each other?

Like, some shared setting elements, one or two characters, and one element of the plot. That's pretty much it. The book and the movie aren't even really spoilers for each other.

It's not a bad movie, I liked it. But it is only incidentally an adaptation of Annihilation.

Top Bottom