• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Annihilation movie (and book) discussion

Neaden

Validated User
I'm honestly kind of worried that the movie isn't going to be good. The trailer makes it look like they are changing it to much more of a save the world and your husband than the book was.

Derek

Validated User
I'm a bit concerned that they'll change too much from the book, while also understanding that it would be hard not too.

I'm more concerned, though, that it may not be playing here for me to see.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
I'm honestly kind of worried that the movie isn't going to be good. The trailer makes it look like they are changing it to much more of a save the world and your husband than the book was.
I don't think it can be a good adaptation of the book, but it could be a great movie.

Mallus

Validated User
I don't think it can be a good adaptation of the book, but it could be a great movie.
Yeah. A film can do Area X justice but how do you even start with the Biologist's interior world?

Last edited:

Neaden

Validated User
Hopefully. But selling the international rights also makes me worry. It's getting some back lash for whitewashing as well, but to be fair I don't think the main character or the psychologists races are mentioned until the second book.

Mallus

Validated User
It's getting some back lash for whitewashing as well, but to be fair I don't think the main character or the psychologists races are mentioned until the second book.
My wife and I were discussing this last night. That the Biologist has some Asian heritage is mentioned in a single sentence in Authority, when Control first observes her. But it plays no role in her actual character, by design. Someone who's only read the first book would have no way of knowing her ethnic makeup.

Now if they film Authority and Grace winds up white, or Control doesn't have a Latino father, then there will be grounds for accusations of whitewashing.

For the record, I'm not sold on casting Portman as the Biologist. I think Rooney Mara would have been perfect. There's a distance in her onscreen presence that fits the character.

Last edited:

Godfather Punk

Oh dear, how sad, nevermind
Validated User
"Where lies the strangling fruit that came from the hand of the sinner
I shall bring forth the seeds of the necroed thread
to share with the worms that gather on Other Media...

Thread, Arise!"

I started 'Annihilation' in August and I've finally reached the end of 'Acceptance'. I still haven't been able to see the movie though.

And I must admit that I sleepwalked through most of 'Authority'. It took me over 5 months to finish that book, maybe because the story of Control didn't appeal to me. Or because I was processing a break-up. But now I've raced through Acceptance.

So I must have missed the part where Grace was described. Until her skin color was briefly mentioned on the Island, I always pictured her as a cross between Maria Hill and Helga from 'Allo 'allo, with a dash of Brien of Tarth. :oops:
Image adjusted; now she's Jada Pinkett Smith (*).
(*) She's Will Smith's wife? Then acting is not a hereditary trait, or it may skip a generation, eh Jaden?

So *SPOILERS* ahead.
Spoiler: Show
Man, what the fuck!? So there was an alien civilization that got wiped out, but they sent a drone into space to prepare a new home for the survivors (there weren't any)? The drone came to Earth but was trapped in a piece of glass? And fitted into the lighthouse lens? And when the lens broke it escaped and somehow infected the lighthouse keeper? And then what? Unless I totally misunderstood.
Why did the S&SB break the lens? How did they know? What did they do?
Or are they just an occult cult or government agency that stumbled upon hidden lore and tried the rituals to see what gives?
And then suddenly Area X and the cover up and the expeditions.. And Lowry 'changed' something in Area X (need to re-read that chapter with the First Expedition video), but what finally triggered the Expansion at the end of Book 2?

I will probably have to reread the series, if only to understand who, what, why Lowry, Thilby, Cheney, the mouse, the plant, if Charlie was important or just an NPC, or any other clue that was buried in the first books and suddenly came back in the third.
This is A Song of Ice & Fire all over again, with clues or minor characters from Game of Thrones suddenly important in Feast of Crows... only now it's only 3 slim books and a few months elapsed... I'm getting old. :coffee:

Stripped of all the beautiful prose that makes this series so great, is there somewhere a summary of the bare 'facts' or a linear time-line?

And, of course, what system would you use to game this setting? Conspiracy X? Trail of Cthulhu? Delta Green? The Strange? BECMI? TORG?

Last edited:

wheloc

He's trying real hard to be one of the good guys.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I saw the movie and really didn't like it, but it did inspire me to buy the audiobook when it was on sale. I haven't listened to said audiobook yet because of its length, but I also think I don't care about spoilers in this case.

Anyway, the movie is mostly just them tromping through the wilderness and going insane. I would run it as a hexcrawl using Call of Cthulhu/Delta Green. BECMI, adding rules for guns and a sanity mechanic, would work great too.

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
I tried to catch the movie in theaters, but not hard enough that one weekend or so it was possible.

Finally saw it a month or two ago streaming.

Loved it. Wonderful mix of existential horror, magnificent visuals, standard thriller tension and action, and outstanding performances from all 6 actors (plus bonus Benedict Wong!).

Knew nothing of the books so was delighted to learn it had little in common with them other than a generally consistent tone and theme. ;-} So I'll be grabbing them, I'm sure of it!

Top Bottom