• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Annotating Advantage/Disadvantage?

PeteNutButter

Validated User
Simple question: Is there a commonly used/accepted way to abbreviate advantage/disadvantage?

It seems most games that I've played don't have stacking advantage/disadvantage, so I haven't seen it come up. I need a shorthand way of saying "3 advantage" or "2 disadvantage."

A and D don't work because D is regularly used for Dice. I thought about using a different case (upper v lower) and italicizing them, but that seems too easily confused. Adv/Dis?

It's a stupid thing to get caught up on, but I'm sick of typing the whole words out and figured there had to be some industry standard here.

Parenthesis Press

parenthesispress.com
Validated User
There's no industry standard, but if you want a convenient shorthand, how about an up arrow for Advantage and a down arrow for Disadvantage?

PeteNutButter

Validated User
What are you doing that needs to annotate 3 points or advantage or 2 points of disadvantage?
Come to think of it, that could easily be modeled with the old L5R "roll and keep" system.
Roll and keep is the same mechanically, but harder to track than stacking advantage.

I'm rocking an xd6 system summing the results. For each advantage you have, you roll an additional die and drop the lowest. So for instance if you started with 3d+1, and get two advantage you now have "5d6k3+1." While 5d6k3+1 is mechanically accurate, in practice its a lot more confusing on the player than just saying roll your stat (3d+1) with two advantage.

I'm looking for a way to write it such as your suggestion 3d(2↑)+1. Generally advantage and disadvantage are circumstantial, but there places where it is static, hence the need for shorthand.

SecretsAndSaucers

Validated User
Roll and keep is the same mechanically, but harder to track than stacking advantage.

I'm rocking an xd6 system summing the results. For each advantage you have, you roll an additional die and drop the lowest. So for instance if you started with 3d+1, and get two advantage you now have "5d6k3+1." While 5d6k3+1 is mechanically accurate, in practice its a lot more confusing on the player than just saying roll your stat (3d+1) with two advantage.

I'm looking for a way to write it such as your suggestion 3d(2↑)+1. Generally advantage and disadvantage are circumstantial, but there places where it is static, hence the need for shorthand.
That's really complicated...

Tadatsune

Registered Magic-User
Validated User
Ooooh. I was thinking of doing a 3d6 system with a similar mechanic. How's it working for you?

Top Bottom