• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Annotating Advantage/Disadvantage?

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
Not a shitpost, just confused about your annotation. Do you mean 6 thousand?
Roll-and-keep.
5d6k1 means roll 5d6, roll each die separately and keep the result of only one die, the single highest.

5d6k2 would mean roll five dice and keep the results of two dice, the best two.

5d6k4, roll five, keep four (discarding the lowest).

PeteNutButter

Validated User
Not a shitpost, just confused about your annotation. Do you mean 6 thousand?
Oh yeah as explained that’s general annotation, and I’m explicitly not using it because it’s a lot harder on the players.

Telling a player to roll their stat with two advantage is so much easier on them. Players have much more intimate knowledge of their characters stats so know how many dice they should and understand what’s going on.

Tadatsune

Registered Magic-User
Validated User
That part looks pretty, but what about disadvantage? 3d6(2D)+1 is going to probably going to confuse someone. I mean I wish it didn't.
Eh. given that the "d" and "D" are visually dissimilar, I don't really have a problem with it.

I suppose you could go with 3d6(2A)+1 vs 3d6(-2A)+1, but I like that a bit less.

PeteNutButter

Validated User
3d6(2DIS)+1?
That was also on the table. I'm still considering it. Shorter than the original, but still kinda long.

Eh. given that the "d" and "D" are visually dissimilar, I don't really have a problem with it.

I suppose you could go with 3d6(2A)+1 vs 3d6(-2A)+1, but I like that a bit less.
I like your first suggestion better. I mentioned something like 3d6(2D)+1.

These are all fine suggestions, but they really start looking like algebra pretty quickly. Maybe that's why the arrow one appeals to me a bit. It feels more like a game???

3d(2↓)+1
3d(2D)+1
3d(2Dis)+1

Hmm...

Kredoc

Validated User
Personally, sticking the A/D mod in the middle of the roll description is grating. I'd do something like (2A)3d+1 or 3d+1(2A).

Top Bottom