• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Annotating Advantage/Disadvantage?

PeteNutButter

Validated User
Personally, sticking the A/D mod in the middle of the roll description is grating. I'd do something like (2A)3d+1 or 3d+1(2A).
I had it after to start with, but moved it to the middle as a player suggested it should go beside the dice since that's what it's actually changing.
How about just "3d6+1, 2" or "5d4, 3"?
I think the problem is I'm looking at it like there is a right answer, as if this were a math problem. I'm getting the sense though that no matter how I decide to do it, it'll irk some players. I'll mull it over and just pick one I guess.

fheredin

Banned
Validated User
Tennis terminology? Ad In for advantage, Ad Out for disadvantage, and Deuce for regular resolution?

domino

Killed a Man to Become an
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What about +/-? 3d6(++) + 1, 4d6(-) + 2, 2d6 (---) - 1

Maybe 2d6(+/+) - 2 or 4d6(-/-/-) + 1 to make the minuses more distinguishable. Also, probably use en-dashes rather than hyphens.

EggRogue

Validated User
You could call them bonuses and penalties, with the abbreviations B and P which don't clash with anything else.

Damina

Validated User
Do you need to keep rewriting d6 if they're the only dice used in the system? Removing that makes everything simpler.

So rolling 3 dice and keeping 1 could be r3k1. Nice and short. If there's a modifier, it could be r3k1+1, etc.

Or you could even use p for plus and m for minus modifiers, so it'd be r3k1p1.

ETA: Didn't see the post above. Using b and p also works.

Sage Genesis

Two
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Roll and keep is the same mechanically, but harder to track than stacking advantage.

I'm rocking an xd6 system summing the results. For each advantage you have, you roll an additional die and drop the lowest. So for instance if you started with 3d+1, and get two advantage you now have "5d6k3+1." While 5d6k3+1 is mechanically accurate, in practice its a lot more confusing on the player than just saying roll your stat (3d+1) with two advantage.

I'm looking for a way to write it such as your suggestion 3d(2↑)+1. Generally advantage and disadvantage are circumstantial, but there places where it is static, hence the need for shorthand.
Does your system use other dice types besides D6?

PeteNutButter

Validated User
You could call them bonuses and penalties, with the abbreviations B and P which don't clash with anything else.
I actually considered changing the names, and this is probably the best suggestion in that line, but I hate changing things that have a known name unless I have to. It's on the table.

Do you need to keep rewriting d6 if they're the only dice used in the system? Removing that makes everything simpler.

So rolling 3 dice and keeping 1 could be r3k1. Nice and short. If there's a modifier, it could be r3k1+1, etc.

Or you could even use p for plus and m for minus modifiers, so it'd be r3k1p1.

ETA: Didn't see the post above. Using b and p also works.
I can't use rXkY because at the risk of making the game sound complicated, there will be times when you are rolling more dice than normal in addition to potential advantage/disadvantage. For example if you have a stat at 3d+1 and two advantage, but a buff that makes your stat have +1d. Now you'd have to convert to 6dk4. Basically the number of dice you are keeping can change. I need to represent the advantage amount.
Does your system use other dice types besides D6?
Generally no. In my text I write the dice as 1d, 2d, 3d, etc. I was only putting the "6" there to avoid confusion here on the forum.

Last edited:
Top Bottom