• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Annotating Advantage/Disadvantage?

Damina

Validated User
I actually considered changing the names, and this is probably the best suggestion in that line, but I hate changing things that have a known name unless I have to. It's on the table.

I can't use rXkY because at the risk of making the game sound complicated, there will be times when you are rolling more dice than normal in addition to potential advantage/disadvantage. For example if you have a stat at 3d+1 and two advantage, but a buff that makes your stat have +1d. Now you'd have to convert to 6dk4. Basically the number of dice you are keeping can change. I need to represent the advantage amount.

Generally no. In my text I write the dice as 1d, 2d, 3d, etc. I was only putting the "6" there to avoid confusion here on the forum.
Couldn't you just write that as r3k1b1 (b=bonus dice; or you could use e=extra dice)? If you use m as minus and p as plus modifiers, then you could have, say, r3k1p1b1 (roll 3, keep 1, +1, bonus 1).

Although it may make sense to put the modifier last, so it's actually r3k1b1p1 (in which case, you could easily render it r3k1b1+1, etc, if the letters are getting too much).

Though it is getting a bit complex, so shortening things might not make the most sense at this stage anyway. Clarity might need to trump brevity?

Last edited:

Damina

Validated User
It also occurred to me that you could represent these like stat blocks. A four column table which goes: roll, keep, bonus, modifier. I'm thinking of something simple like the Warhammer stat blocks.

Knaight

Validated User
I can't use rXkY because at the risk of making the game sound complicated, there will be times when you are rolling more dice than normal in addition to potential advantage/disadvantage. For example if you have a stat at 3d+1 and two advantage, but a buff that makes your stat have +1d. Now you'd have to convert to 6dk4. Basically the number of dice you are keeping can change. I need to represent the advantage amount.
This seems like a case where you want to change the bonus notation. Using b and w to denote best and worst adv/dis becomes Xb0/Yw0. Meanwhile a bonus that adds dice is XbX or similar.

Referring to +1b0, +1w0, and +1b1 as Advantage, Disadvantage, and Bonus is fine, but for compact notation it's not ideal.

Top Bottom