• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Another Audible Thread

Freedom Geek

Transhuman Cyborg
Validated User
Most recently I listened to The Second Kind of Impossible: The Extraordinary Quest for a New Form of Matter by Paul J. Steinhardt.
It's a compelling account of the discovery of quasicrystals.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
I've never really gotten into non fiction audiobooks that much, I think because i tend to not read them in a straight linear fashion like I do fiction. I do lots of jumping around. Of course I guess that's more an issue for certain kinds of non fiction more than others.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
One thing I've noticed lately, which may be due to me having a Kindle Unlimited sub going too, is finding quite a few cases where its much cheaper for me to buy some books in kindle form and get an audio version free or for a heavily discounted price so it works out much cheaper than a audible credit. Its kinda interesting that publishers allow this.

And having both Australian and US Amazon/audible accounts throws up additional pricing windfalls. Of course managing both is pretty damn awkward.

Tom B

Validated User
Audible just released a new version of Richard Adams' Watership Down, narrated by Peter Capaldi. I need to check that one out...

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
I see the third Disney timeline Thrawn book is just out too.

Still haven't really tried those, in part because i wonder about confusion in my head with my existing Thrawn knowledge. Plus Thrawn himself never really was the draw for me.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
So tried out the umm Urban Fantasy series, Succubus Lord (there's like 8 volumes in prose form and 4 in audible - I've just tried the first). Its a story about some guys which summon some succubi and get themselves involved in heaven v hell. Its also used as a vehicle for sexy times and a harem.

Pretty well read with a male narrator doing all the male parts and a woman doing all the ladies, rather than alternating between chapter POV. They are pretty good, but the thing is the male protagonists sidekick is a full on stoner and a very talkative one at that, and it seems like there's only so much stoner I can take. Maybe its an artifact of knowing some stoners growing up.

Not going to say its the highest form of literature here, but it amused me somewhat. Mostly for the banter amongst the succubi and the main protagonist, and occasionally the stoner. Doubt I'd be able to get through 9 volumes though unless the plot improves and the stoner takes a bit of a back seat.

Last edited:

Freedom Geek

Transhuman Cyborg
Validated User
I've never really gotten into non fiction audiobooks that much, I think because i tend to not read them in a straight linear fashion like I do fiction. I do lots of jumping around. Of course I guess that's more an issue for certain kinds of non fiction more than others.
My audible library is mostly non-fiction. I have weird and specific tastes which make it difficult for me to find novels I'd be interested in.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
So browsing audible new releases I spot this:

The Help: A Reverse Harem High School Bully Romance

Without looking at a description it got me wondering just what its about. Does the girl bully the boys into her reverse harem and then romance one of them? Is she getting bullied by a group of guys who she turns into her harem and then romances 1 or more of them?

This title...its like a Light Novel title

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Continuing my succubus kick I've started trying out Richelle Mead's Georgia Kincaid series whose protagonist is a succubus. Don't have a world of experience with Paranormal Romance fiction, but this seems alright so far. As one might expect it features angels, demons, nephilim, and I suppose at some point things like human magic groups. Narrator is alright, but not mind-blowing.

This first book being about our protagonist and her supernatural friends/colleagues trying to stop the rampage of a nephilim loose in the city whose attacking and killing said supernaturals, whilst introducing the world to the reader as well as a normal human (a nerdy writer of not supernatural fiction) potential love interest into the mix. Anyway I am enjoying this first book, though who knows if my interest can be sustained with what appears to be a 6+ volume series. My interest in paranormal romance has always petered out pretty quickly.

Well look at that, nephilim isn't in the chrome dictionary :)

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Finished listening to The Sorcery Code and The Spell Realm by Dima Zales. A interesting enough little fantasy story with a strong romance element. Not really used to that as most of the time if you want fantasy and romance you have to go to paranormal romance.

Anyway without getting too spoilery its a about an outcast wizard who in the process of magical experimentation creates a female magical being. Chaos ensues when folks from the nations ruling magic council find out and some parties (namely the protagonists ex-fiancee whose breakup ended poorly lets say) freakout about it all fearing being killed/enslaved by this magical alien intelligence. There's alot of conspiracies and political machinations around the whole issue of this being. Pretty decent overall, though book 2 really ends with an expectation of a third book that has never appeared (and book 2 got published in 2014) so that needs to be kept in mind. Some things let resolved, but there's several of the biggest plots that clearly would continue into a third book. Have no idea whether a third book is even being written.

Also of note is that there some interesting building of a magic system in the story, a system pretty different to most of the things I've read. Very much like computer programming and old fashioned computers.

The narrator, Emily Durante, is pretty good. Don't think I've heard her read before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom