• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[Anthem+] Livestreams & Infodumps

Shiro

Resplendent and Coniferous
Validated User
Bioware has started putting out more gameplay footage and information now that Anthem is in alpha. I am pretty keen for this game, since it feels a lot like a sci-fi Monster Hunter World in its approach to a lot of things. I really like what I'm seeing!

First off was this interesting but slightly underwhelming stream from Paris Games Week. CAUTION: There's a severe echo for the first several minutes. Also, I believe that the graphics settings were turned way down for this demo, so don't judge the graphics too harshly. We get to see Interceptor gameplay for the first time, as well as several of the Ultimates, and the Colossus flying around with its shield up.

[video=youtube;jsTuwcRYF5o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsTuwcRYF5o[/video]

But the thing that's got me particularly excited was this Twitch livestream on Nov 1:

[video=youtube;Ukl2s3ieZjc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukl2s3ieZjc&t=2s[/video]

It was just really cool to see a focus on the Interceptor and Storm, get a look at the sort of wild personalisation that's possible, and just to see experienced players mucking around in freeplay. They've also responded to community feedback and created a "Melee Build" for the Interceptor, which was shown off.

The world looks pretty huge, but flight means traversal times are relatively quick. It's the sort of map that would take you a good half-hour or an hour to walk across if you were a person on foot, but which only takes a few minutes to blast across in flight mode. Flight may make the world seem small, but it's also very dense. There would seem to be a lot of areas throughout the map that serve as interesting combat and mission arenas but which don't take ages to fly between.

Lastly, the EA Game Changers got some new footage and a breakdown of the different gear/ability slots and Ultimates, which are all detailed in this video:

[video=youtube;bovDpNGFKEg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bovDpNGFKEg[/video]

I'm pretty hyped about the potential for interesting builds, and I'm really looking forward to exploring the world and the game. I'm intending to main Interceptor, and would dearly love to form a guild (or whatever) based around the Knight Sabers from BubbleGum Crisis (the originals, not Tokyo 2040).

Aliandris

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I’ve been considering this. I’m a sucker for power armor. Might even preorder it, and that’s not really a thing I do.

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User
Been crossing my fingers for Anthem for some time. The Star Wars Battlefront debacle seemed to bump the development in a...friendlier direction, but I'm still kind of worried for a Destiny 2 situation.

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
That Nov 1 livestream looks like a lot of fun.

I especially like how much the terrain and positioning seems to matter, and abilities that expand on that (like the shield wall).

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User
Which particular part of the D2 situation is worrying you?
Spoiler: Show
A limited amount of repetitive content stretched into an endless road of grind that is artificially bottlenecked for...reasons. Coupled with the active sabotaging of gameplay elements to push micro-transactions. Fearing full-priced expansions that don't really add anything to the game at (and instead remove content from people who didn't get the expansion) seems a bit premature at this stage. And saying all that, at least I don't think Bioware is going to repeatedly lie to its player base. If only because I don't think anyone could be worse at communicating than Bungie...

There were a lot of similar problems with the Division and it took Ubisoft actual years to actually get the game to a state I'd call 'good'.

So despite my like of Bioware games generally, and my love of Anthem's promise / aesthetic everything, it's being published by EA and FPS games-as-service have been pretty damn predatory and consumer hostile. So I am forced to approach the game with trepidation despite not really wanting to.

Still though! Game looks amazing. And the devs have been saying promising things re: consumer friendliness. I want to see this game out, and in the wild, so I can judge it for myself. And, hopefully, judge it really positively.

Rocket Propelled Grenade

Freelance Merc For Hire
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm hopeful about the game. It's probably not going to catch on in my gaming circle to the extent I'd like, since so many have such deep investment in Warframe, and a few have a standing objection to Origin, but I'm hoping to have at least a few friends to play it with, and to have a good time.

Shiro

Resplendent and Coniferous
Validated User
Spoiler: Show
A limited amount of repetitive content stretched into an endless road of grind that is artificially bottlenecked for...reasons. Coupled with the active sabotaging of gameplay elements to push micro-transactions. Fearing full-priced expansions that don't really add anything to the game at (and instead remove content from people who didn't get the expansion) seems a bit premature at this stage. And saying all that, at least I don't think Bioware is going to repeatedly lie to its player base. If only because I don't think anyone could be worse at communicating than Bungie...

There were a lot of similar problems with the Division and it took Ubisoft actual years to actually get the game to a state I'd call 'good'.

So despite my like of Bioware games generally, and my love of Anthem's promise / aesthetic everything, it's being published by EA and FPS games-as-service have been pretty damn predatory and consumer hostile. So I am forced to approach the game with trepidation despite not really wanting to.
Sort of, "once bitten, twice shy"? I can understand that.

I guess one of the advantages of being late to the party is that Anthem gets to learn from the mistakes of its spiritual predecessors. I think that even though (or indeed because) EA is a corporation that wants to make money, even they have to realise that they need to step away from the "predatory monetisation" model that made them the centre of a giant shitstorm last year. And given the recent success of Monster Hunter World, they seem to be willing to at least take a shot at a similar model -- no paid expansions that would split the community by gating content behind paywalls, and limiting microtransactions to non-exclusive WYSIWYG cosmetics.

I mean, there's always the chance that more microtransactions might creep in later on, but I think Bioware has a pretty clear philosophy against that, and EA has strong market forces that should make them think twice about nickel-and-diming the game to death. I hope.

Content does seem to be a major limiting factor in games such as this. For me, MHW was a solid four months of gaming, but then the trickle of updates -- mostly high-tier extreme hunts -- started to become less engaging. The extreme "Arch-Tempered" dragons are low-effort content, but they also don't add much to the experience. Completely new monsters take a lot more time and effort to integrate.

However, I think Anthem is a slightly different beast. It doesn't rely so much on "showpiece" boss monsters. The world has been designed to support random events, and creature spawns are at least semi-random. In addition, they've designed the servers so they can push world events into the game relatively easily, such as storms, rare creatures, special missions, and other content. If they manage to keep that fairly random and not fall into a predictable rotation, plus throw a few curve-balls in now and again, it should keep things relatively fresh.

I guess it has to fall somewhere between MHW's "here's all the stuff, see how fast you can burn through it" and Destiny's "we need to put out content over a 10-year plan, so here's your drip-feed". Bioware has said that there will be incentives to not burn through the content as fast as you can, even though they recognise that some people will, but we have no idea what those incentives are yet. Also we still have very little idea what the "elder game" content will be like and how long it will keep our attention. I'll definitely post an update here if they explain any more about that.

Still though! Game looks amazing. And the devs have been saying promising things re: consumer friendliness. I want to see this game out, and in the wild, so I can judge it for myself. And, hopefully, judge it really positively.
As a fan of cliffs, jungles, open-world exploration, and powered armour, I'm strongly leaning towards placing my pre-order at this point, but I understand why people are opting to exercise caution.

Cloud Divider

Validated User
As a fan of cliffs, jungles, open-world exploration, and powered armour, I'm strongly leaning towards placing my pre-order at this point, but I understand why people are opting to exercise caution.
I have to admit, Anthem is probably the upcoming multiplayer game I'm most looking forward to. Mixing the open world/exploration elements with multiplayer is really appealing.

My buddies and I had a great time with Ghost Recon Wildlands largely because of the open world nature. Replaying missions but approaching them from a different direction often felt like a completely new mission. I just wish they stuck in a random mission generator (spawning a random assassination, destroy, or extract mission target would have been great).

So a SF-ified version would be just outstanding. I must admit, all of the huge explosions in the gameplay video have a certain appeal.

Naxuul

Emo hair power!
Validated User
I hope it has a good enemy variety. So far there seems to be the Scar, The Dominion and random animals, I hope they have two or three more major enemy groups.

-Naxuul

Top Bottom