• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

(Anthem) What's It Really Like?

taleswapper

Social Justice Lazy Warlord
Validated User
And they're bringing in new devs, I believe, so we should probably expect some things to be adjusted (certainly in terms of timing, if nothing else).

Turelie

Maddeningly Altruistic
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've been busy with grad school stuffs, but it looks like yesterday's patch let's you use the forge in the middle of missions/freeplay now? If so that's a pretty huge QoL improvement.

Fedifensor

Validated User
Quality of Life is helpful, but if there’s no meaningful progression from putting in tons of hours, the game is still in trouble.

Darting Flea

Validated User
Looks like Anthem’s roadmap has been delayed. Thoughts?
I don't have much hope for this game reaching a point where it is worth getting (for me at least). I suspect that soon the dev time will be hijacked into implementing a f2p mode which like SWTOR will strip what features they do have and put them behind a paywall.

Vargen

Validated User
To be fair, the main feature of SWOR is it has some nice Bioware stories in it and they let you play through several of those for free. LotRO doesn't do that; they charge by the zone. It is kinda in-your-face and weird how SWOR charges for raids and PvP and extra hotkey slots and such, but the core of the game is actually free.

Anthem is great fun, but it doesn't have the kind of system depth to support a SWOR-style free-to-play system. What are they going to do? Charge you a dollar to let you fly today? The cosmetics could certainly be deep enough to support the game. I'm not sure if they have enough options though because the rotating shop selection hides what they have.

Turelie

Maddeningly Altruistic
RPGnet Member
Validated User
They've mentioned that new javelins might be cost money.

Tbh opening the game as ftp and overhauling the cash shop would be good for the game. They've already said updates will be free, so long term it doesn't seem like they'll be pulling in much by having a price tag on the game -- especially since the price has already dropped.

Darting Flea

Validated User
To be fair, the main feature of SWOR is it has some nice Bioware stories in it and they let you play through several of those for free. LotRO doesn't do that; they charge by the zone. It is kinda in-your-face and weird how SWOR charges for raids and PvP and extra hotkey slots and such, but the core of the game is actually free.

Anthem is great fun, but it doesn't have the kind of system depth to support a SWOR-style free-to-play system. What are they going to do? Charge you a dollar to let you fly today? The cosmetics could certainly be deep enough to support the game. I'm not sure if they have enough options though because the rotating shop selection hides what they have.
They could use the SWTOR paid unlock system to pay wall cosmetics, gear level/tiers, currency quantities, group content, inventory space just about any convenience you can think of.

Then there are lootboxes.

Fedifensor

Validated User
So, last week, I completed the full Monthly challenge (80 dailies, 16 weekly challenges). I haven’t logged in at all since that was done. There’s just no incentive to do so...and with a certain other game from my past now available to play again, I have better options.

Top Bottom