• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

(Anthem) What's It Really Like?

Vargen

Validated User
I keep meaning to log in to check the new stronghold, but I never get around to it. The game really does need some sort of incentive to log in to play. There are definitely days when I'll grudgingly log into MTG Arena to keep up with my daily quests, and then a few games later I leave happy because Magic is fun to play. Anthem is also fun to play. I bet if they had a compelling reason to get me to log in I would be glad to have done so.

Fade

Validated User
They could copy the Warframe model wholesale re mocrotransactions. Even clone Tennogen to get more cosmetic content happening.

But to do that they'd need an actual game with actual game content, and they don't have that.

Vargen

Validated User
Anthem has a lot of flaws, but “they don’t have an actual game” is not one of them. There are critical structural issues, but the moment-to-moment gameplay is great.

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
Anthem has a lot of flaws, but “they don’t have an actual game” is not one of them. There are critical structural issues, but the moment-to-moment gameplay is great.
The gameplay is good and the game zones are gorgeous (Tarsis less so), but the game mechanics are very lacking and incredibly grind and RNG dependant. You got a Legendary! Woohoo! Shame it's a shotgun and you don't use those. Another legendary? Woohoo! It's a Universal gear mod with an ok ability and crappy random mods.

I have gotten a couple of decent legendary mods the ice blast and ice spear ones which work well, but the mods aren't. The crafting system is pretty basic, which isn't bad as an entry point, but is a bit grindy to unlock them, but once you can do that, it's still all RNG.

There is a game there, but it's the video game equivalent of Lost. It's designed to keep people running through the motions, but never resolving anything.

Vrylakos

All right, all right, all right...
Validated User
Am I alone in hating the final boss of the Sunken Chamber on GM2 level?

I ran out of bullets pretty early on, and then it was just wait for recharge... zap.... hide form spam... wait... wait... wait.... zap. The lack of ammo and the bullet spongey boss was ridiculous.

Cloud Divider

Validated User
I keep meaning to log in to check the new stronghold, but I never get around to it. The game really does need some sort of incentive to log in to play. There are definitely days when I'll grudgingly log into MTG Arena to keep up with my daily quests, and then a few games later I leave happy because Magic is fun to play. Anthem is also fun to play. I bet if they had a compelling reason to get me to log in I would be glad to have done so.
My main complaint about Anthem still remains, unfortunately. I've been tied up over the last couple weeks with high priority life-stuff (finishing my MS thesis, work stuff, prep for a con that was last weekend), and haven't had a lot of free time to play, maybe an hour or two here and there over the last couple of weeks. And during those spare periods, I've really wanted some escapism. And flying around as Power Armored Hulk/Strange/Wolverine getting into some mayhem would have totally fit the bill.

Except every time I tried to play, the game denied me in some way. Attempt to log in, can't find server and sits around trying to reconnect. Reboot, log in again, this time it works, and I can rocket around and blast the tar out of everything (which was a blast, and much needed stress relief). But after about 10 minutes the game crashes and I get booted back to the login screen. Maybe it was longer than 10 minutes, but certainly not long enough to complete an activity. And certainly vastly shorter than what I wanted to play.

So every time I fired up the ol' PS4 for some Iron Man Space Shootin', I hit the crash-wall, and find myself firing up Netflix or Hulu instead and watching an episode of whatever to consume the block of free time I had. (That said, I watched pretty much all of The Orville's two seasons, so that was a net positive)

Anthem is cathartic, which is what I wanted. Flying around is fun, blasting things as Iron Man-meets-Doctor Strange is a hoot. Getting loot drops is cool, too, but I'm largely beyond caring about drops (they're both super random in their perks, and any improvement tends to be minutely incremental of a +2% net or a fluke of an insane +150% damage perk roll that makes one drop practically impossible to beat.

And I still haven't tried the new Stronghold. Rather, I did. But got booted about 5 minutes in, and by the time I could get back in, matchmaking backfilled my slot, splitting my friend and I up. Bah!

I hate sounding bitter, because like the rest of the game so much. But it's starting to feel like a...bad relationship, you know?

Fedifensor

Validated User
Given that their roadmap basically got wadded up, thrown into the trashcan, and then the trashcan was set on fire, looks like I won’t be playing this for a while. Nothing I’ve seen so far is tempting me back as of yet.

Fedifensor

Validated User
Just checking in to see if anyone is still playing. I haven’t touched Anthem since the end of April, and was curious if anything has changed.

Aliandris

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I haven’t touched it. As fun as a date with my abusive Ex sounds, that way lies only disappointment.

I’d be interested to hear about any refunds they’re offering though! :cautious:

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
I haven’t touched it. As fun as a date with my abusive Ex sounds, that way lies only disappointment.

I’d be interested to hear about any refunds they’re offering though! :cautious:
I haven't touched it either, but I at least didn't have to pay for it, so it's not like it owes me anything.

Top Bottom