• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

(Anthem) What's It Really Like?

Aliandris

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I haven't touched it either, but I at least didn't have to pay for it, so it's not like it owes me anything.
I was definitely one of the suckers people who preordered the big legion of dawn pack. It hurts double because I normally avoid preorders and wait for things to go on sale - I’ve got enough backlog that waiting is fiscally reasonable, but Space Fantasy Iron Man hit me where I live.

It’s weird too. I’ve never felt owed by a game before - if I didn’t like it or if I felt like it was a poor purchase, it was on me. This is the first time I’ve felt strongly that no, this is on them.

Not that it matters, there’s no recourse for the “little people” to hold the AAA games industry accountable.

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
I was definitely one of the suckers people who preordered the big legion of dawn pack. It hurts double because I normally avoid preorders and wait for things to go on sale - I’ve got enough backlog that waiting is fiscally reasonable, but Space Fantasy Iron Man hit me where I live.

It’s weird too. I’ve never felt owed by a game before - if I didn’t like it or if I felt like it was a poor purchase, it was on me. This is the first time I’ve felt strongly that no, this is on them.

Not that it matters, there’s no recourse for the “little people” to hold the AAA games industry accountable.
I wasn't in on Anthem as I've long distrusted EA and lost trust in Bioware a few years back. They were an excuse I used to buy a new PC (as my old one at that point was 7 years old) but given how well that went down, I must admit I didn't even follow news of Anthem.

For all that though Anthem is an amazing looking game and the fantasy Iron Man was done much better than I thought it could have been. The flight was pretty smooth for all that it's just keyboard and mouse. You can see where they it some effort into low level manoeuvring easy on the players.

The problem is the game play. Modern day game design by checklist has left a decade long black hole for gaming as far as I'm concerned. There's 2 or 3 titles coming that I'm hopeful for, but other than a couple of games there hasn't been much since Portal and Portal 2 that I've been excited for.

Fedifensor

Validated User
Cataclysm went live yesterday. I had some free time to kill, so I downloaded the very big patch and played Freeplay for about a half-hour. There’s a new slot (melee weapon) but I didn’t get any drops for it, and a freeplay event where you get to go inside a storm something (some sort of anomaly) and fight creatures for 5 or 10 minutes to get loot (crystals, a new currency used to purchase stuff).

Basically, they polished a few things and added another treadmill. Can’t say I’m impressed. It’s something I can play if I have nothing else to do, but there isn’t a real draw to come back.

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
Cataclysm went live yesterday. I had some free time to kill, so I downloaded the very big patch and played Freeplay for about a half-hour. There’s a new slot (melee weapon) but I didn’t get any drops for it, and a freeplay event where you get to go inside a storm something (some sort of anomaly) and fight creatures for 5 or 10 minutes to get loot (crystals, a new currency used to purchase stuff).

Basically, they polished a few things and added another treadmill. Can’t say I’m impressed. It’s something I can play if I have nothing else to do, but there isn’t a real draw to come back.
Coincidently, last night I noticed my c:\ drive was down to 20 gigs so I moved Anthem's game files over to my data drive. What I just read in no way makes me regret that decision. In fact I'm one step closer to uninstalling Origin entirely.

Shiro

Resplendent and Coniferous
Validated User
The melee weapon slot means more variety thanks not only to all Javelins getting a Melee Primer and Melee Detonator, but because they have inscriptions. I got a Masterwork Twin Blades for the Interceptor with +100% Weapon Damage. The best way to get them is to buy them with crystals at the seasonal store (although those are random across all Javs) or completing 3 Cataclysm events with a specific Javelin each day to get a Jav-specific melee weapon.

The Cataclysm also includes a few new story missions, high-tier support gear, new weapon types (not sure if they are actually released yet, but they are coming), and the Cataclysm itself which has a new map to explore, puzzle event arenas to work out, and lots of secret details to find if you take the time to poke around instead of rushing through.

Loot drop quality is also improved, especially in GM2 & 3. I picked up I don't know how many Legendary items yesterday. I came out of a GM3 Cataclysm run with 11 orange-and-yellow drops, and I think 2 or 3 were Legos.

I played the hell out of it yesterday and had lots of fun, but it seems like I'm in the minority. I'm guessing there is no longer enough interest around here to actually form a Guild now that they've been added?

Jay

Pow!
Validated User
I'm guessing there is no longer enough interest around here to actually form a Guild now that they've been added?
If you're on PS4, I'd be interested, but I don't know how long I'll around. I just started thanks to getting the Legion of Dawn edition for super-cheap, but haven't really been playing much of anything recently.

Shiro

Resplendent and Coniferous
Validated User
If you're on PS4, I'd be interested, but I don't know how long I'll around. I just started thanks to getting the Legion of Dawn edition for super-cheap, but haven't really been playing much of anything recently.
Well I made a Guild because I can. You have to download the Anthem app to your phone/device (iOS or Android) to manage Guild membership, but Guild connections will show up in-game. I also sent you an invitation at dysonsFear; I assume that'll show up somewhere in the app.

Due to the limited character count I had to name the Guild VGO since none of the names we discussed in the other thread would fit, even with abbreviation. I put the full name Valor Guard Omega in the description field.

Jay

Pow!
Validated User
*sigh* And of course my device in incompatible....

Apparently it's not showing up properly in the Play store. I had to go to the webstore to get it.

Edit: And I'm in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom