• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Any new universal/generic systems coming out?

Chris Henry

Validated User
I've had my head in the sand for a minute. Are any new "generic" and/or "universal" systems coming out in the near future?

I know about the Cypher System revised corebook and the oft-delayed Cortex Prime System Handbook.

Anything else? Are any of the big multi-game systems like 2d20 getting a generic core?

Gee4orce

Validated User
Nah. Everybody called it quits once they saw Genesys ;)

Seriously though, I don’t know of anything other than what you’ve mentioned already. Savage Worlds did get a new edition recently too.

simonpaulburley

Validated User
(.........urm....... I've got one. Just need to get my finger out and find a publishing partner to make it look good etc. Or bite the bullet and do it myself.)

Michael K

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
BESM gets a 4th edition and is kinda-sorta universal-ish within a specific design frame (Anime / Manga).

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Not sure. I'd like to hear about new ones.

For a moment I was "do we really need more generic systems?" To which I replied to myself mentally, "well, why not?"

Pteryx

Simulator & Spellcaster
Validated User
To me, hearing that new universal systems exist isn't enough. Universal systems unfortunately have a strong tendency to have identical sales pitches, making it very difficult to judge whether one might better suit one's tastes than another. Thus, it would be very nice to hear what makes one potentially preferable over another.

Grimble

Validated User
To me, hearing that new universal systems exist isn't enough. Universal systems unfortunately have a strong tendency to have identical sales pitches, making it very difficult to judge whether one might better suit one's tastes than another. Thus, it would be very nice to hear what makes one potentially preferable over another.
Fair. To your point then, I’ll try to compare Elemental to another universal system I’ve played a lot, Savage Worlds. On the surface, both are classless universal systems with traditional GM and player roles. They feel different in play, however.

Overall, Elemental is much lighter rules-wise, while Savage Worlds has more tactical combat.
Elemental uses opposed d6+attribute+skill rolls for action resolution. The dice explode in both games, which gives them a cinematic feel. In Elemental they can only explode once, so it feels less swingy. Another difference is that Elemental has degrees of success (success at a cost...) baked into the core resolution system.
Savage Worlds uses a wound system which alleviates bookkeeping but means that you can hit your target for no damage. Elemental uses a hit point system, so every hit counts. Armor reduces damage in both games.
Elemental has fewer rules and more genre content in the core book. The Elemental core book contains the sort of content that is covered in the Savage Worlds Companions.
In summary, I would say that if you already like Savage Worlds, enjoy the wargame feel and tactical options in combat, stick with Savage Worlds. If you’re looking for something more “fiction first” where the rules take more of a back seat, then Elemental is definitely worth checking out.

Knaight

Validated User
There's a new edition of SKETCH coming out soonish, which is nice, as the old edition is all but gone from the internet. It's a very micro-generic game, for when stuff like Fudge is just too crunchy for you.

Top Bottom