• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Any new universal/generic systems coming out?

Chris Henry

Validated User
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Elemental looks interesting to me. Any reviews or actual plays out there?

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
To me, hearing that new universal systems exist isn't enough. Universal systems unfortunately have a strong tendency to have identical sales pitches, making it very difficult to judge whether one might better suit one's tastes than another. Thus, it would be very nice to hear what makes one potentially preferable over another.
This is true. Frankly, I've seen soooo many cases of one player's "must have features" being another player's "game must not include" list. Frankly, even with games that have a lot of similarities just a few differences can make one "perfect" with the other being an also-ran.

soypunk

Cortex Prime is close to come out and there's PDF previews for preorders. Very modular rule set and has a lot of dials to turn.

CarrotandStick

Validated User
Freeform Universal has been talking about a new edition for ages, and Cortex Prime is entirely playable. I just started an Eberron game using it this week!

Chris Henry

Validated User
Cortex Prime is close to come out and there's PDF previews for preorders. Very modular rule set and has a lot of dials to turn.
Freeform Universal has been talking about a new edition for ages, and Cortex Prime is entirely playable. I just started an Eberron game using it this week!
Thanks, guys, but I did already mention knowing about the oft-delayed Cortex Prime rules in the original post. I pre-ordered it on backerkit early last year. While I don't expect it to dethrone Beyond Human as the tabletop Duke Nukem Forever, I don't think it's reasonable to say it's close to coming out.

First Age

Lost in the Wilderland
Validated User
Neat! What differences will this have from the previous edition? Figured out any way to reduce larger dice pools (say those above 5D or 6D)?
It's still going to be a 'six sided dice paradise', but the pools have indeed been reduced from the first edition. ;)

The core game now has the Body Mind Soul Attributes as values rated 1-5. Personal Traits, Equipment and Scene Traits are rated 1-5 too. You build your hand of dice from:

Attribute + Trait + Equipment + Declared Scene Trait + Helping PC

A typical starting character will be on about 5-7d before they try to call in their surroundings, the 2d Glittering Tights equipment bonus, and a friendly bit of help (typically 1d but could be more).

So, if you are looking for consistently lower pools of d6, in your 5-6 range, then the game won't manage it. You're looking at typical achievable pools of about 10d. Mighty heroes with high Attribute, a full power Trait, awesome and applicable equipment, perfect conditions and a friendly hero assisting, can be picking up 20+ dice - but that is far from the norm. This gives the game that power growth potential.

The game remains a light and flexible framework using phrases with values. It plays quicker, the declared scene traits are quite important (you're quite literally chewing the scenery), and I'm looking forward to seeing it out there. Might go to Kickstarter for it, and I'd love to see a custom d6 stretch goal, as a bit of bling.

Top Bottom