• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Any System] John Carter RPG

SibKhatru

Validated User
The talk in the thread about Space:1889 and Savage Worlds reminded me again that a favorite setting of mine in the John Carter Warlord of Mars stuff (Burroughs).

I think SW would be a nifty system fit... but has anyone done something else in the setting? It's gritty, pulpy, very heroic, etc. so what would work well?

Personally I am very tempted to try Cinematic Unisystem... ahem!

Let me hear your thoughts and/or actual play experiences...

Lisa Nadazdy

Colour Out of Space
Validated User
Interesting factoid: a company called Heritage Models produced a game called John Carter, Warlord of Mars, a man-to-man miniatures tactical game with a thin roleplaying veneer on top. I'm one of the few people on Earth to own a copy. :)

Crakkerjakk

Validated User
GURPS Mars for 3e had a ~20 page mini-setting based on the Planetary Romance version of Mars. Canals, swords, princesses, the works.

Easily updatable for a cinematic GURPS 4e game.

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Savage Worlds and Spirit of the Century are the two that come immediately to mind, of course, being explicitly designed for this sort of thing...

Interesting factoid: a company called Heritage Models produced a game called John Carter, Warlord of Mars, a man-to-man miniatures tactical game with a thin roleplaying veneer on top. I'm one of the few people on Earth to own a copy. :)
Now I'm curious. Is it any good?

mcellis

Validated User
I'm actually prepping an upcoming Barsoom-like Planetary Romance game right now, and Spirit of the Century was my first choice.

The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

The elegant assassin
Validated User
I continue to think that Prince Valiant would be an excellent system for running a Barsoom game: it assumes that all players are warriors, that glory is what makes life meaningful, and that there are well-defined genre conventions.

I keep threatening to run it and keep not doing so.

Mercutio01 said:
Adamant Entertainment has a Barsoom with the serial numbers filed off coming out soon. It uses the Savage Worlds system.
They actually put this out a few years ago as a D20 game and are now redoing it for SW.

I envy you that. That's the one where the goal of the game is to win a Princess, right?

Lisa Nadazdy

Colour Out of Space
Validated User
Now I'm curious. Is it any good?
I've never sat down and actually played it. From the way it reads, it's a small scale miniatures combat game, but there's a section in the back for rolling up a 'Prince' (as a player, why would you play anything else?), and you go on quests in the John Carter vein- beating up monsters and rescuing princesses in order to build up fame and fortune. It wasn't terribly deep, but it might be fun for a session or two. I mostly got it for the source material. I have a paperback book that's a guide to Barsoom that's floating around here somewhere, too, along with some maps to the classic setting. That's right, you're allowed to envy me. :D

Top Bottom